• The KillerFrogs

2021-2022 Transfer Portal Thread

Moose Stuff

Assuming Coleman wants a shot at the NFL, his small size dictates that maybe he should want/need to excel at linebacker. I don’t think I am buying that he was not a fit for the new defense. I would not be surprised to see him playing linebacker on his next team. Then again, maybe he is not hopefully eyeing an NFL future or just doesn’t want that.

I assume his freshman numbers are a more accurate reflection of his ability and potential than last season’s—he was out injured for the first three games last year and may not have been 100% healthy. I think this is a loss for TCU. Another example of spending time developing a talent to only lose him due to the transfer rules, and maybe NIL
You should probably learn more about the new defense.

FrogBall09

You don’t think he maybe could have adapted to linebacker and played well in the 3-3-5? I am listening if you can take a moment to explain and others might be interested too.
I think we could have used Micah Parson's as an example to him of what he could become at TCU. Parson was basically his size coming out of HS.

Say whatever you want about last year - but the guy was a B12 freshman of the year playing the same position the year before - he had the talent to be a contributor and would have been nice to have used some of that recruiting sales capability our staff has to convince him to stay.

Last edited:

FrogCop19

I think we could have used Micah Parson's as an example to him of what he could become at TCU. Parson was basically his size coming out of HS.

Say whatever you want about last year - but the guy was a B12 freshman of the year playing the same position the year before - he had the talent to be a contributor and would have been nice to have used some of that recruiting sales capability our staff has to convince him to stay.
Parsons is EXACTLY who I would compare him to. Hell, they even have the same jersey number. MP is 6'2"/245 and KC is 6'2"/220, they both play a fast, undersized (but hard hitting) DE position, and as mentioned, KC was a beast as a freshman. I think he would have done great as one of the outside linebackers. Like I said in another earlier, this one hurts to me.

Palliative Care

"Micah Parson's as an example to him of what he could become at TCU"
I agree. I think Coleman could play both linebacker and at times defensive line in a 3-3-5.

WIN

We are going to play a new defense. We call it the 0-6-5. No lineman needed. Just a bunch of dudes crowded around each other yelling and screaming and running fast.
Sounds like what we were doing last year except they were all looking to the sidelines for the call..

CountryFrog

You don’t think he maybe could have adapted to linebacker and played well in the 3-3-5? I am listening if you can take a moment to explain and others might be interested too.
LB's in this defense need to be more true LB or LB/S hybrid as opposed to a DE/OLB type of edge rusher that you might look for in a 3-4. Guys who have spent their entire time as DL are incredibly unlikely to make the transition to LB in the new scheme.

CountryFrog

Parsons is EXACTLY who I would compare him to. Hell, they even have the same jersey number. MP is 6'2"/245 and KC is 6'2"/220, they both play a fast, undersized (but hard hitting) DE position, and as mentioned, KC was a beast as a freshman. I think he would have done great as one of the outside linebackers. Like I said in another earlier, this one hurts to me.
Good Lord, Coleman is not even kind of somewhat close of a comparison to Parsons. Parsons is one of the most athletic guys in the entire NFL at any position and is a dominant force. There's just not even the slightest comparison between what Parsons does for the Cowboys and what Coleman has done or could do for the Frogs.

FrogCop19

Good Lord, Coleman is not even kind of somewhat close of a comparison to Parsons. Parsons is one of the most athletic guys in the entire NFL at any position and is a dominant force. There's just not even the slightest comparison between what Parsons does for the Cowboys and what Coleman has done or could do for the Frogs.
��
YearSchoolConfClassPosGSoloAstTotLossSkIntYdsAvgTDPDFRYdsTDFF
*2018Penn StateBig TenFRLB134735824.01.500000

2020TCUBig 12FRDE919143315.03.0000000

Obviously I'm not saying they are identical, I'm saying they have a lot of similarities (even the tongue-in-cheek number reference). If you look at their freshmen years, for example, two things stand out to me. While Parsons had way more tackles than him, Coleman had twice as many sacks and nearly 4 times as many tackles for a loss, and in 4 fewer games. He was a major presence in the opponents' backfield for us, and that speaks volumes to me, especially when our defense was as crappy as it was.

You really don't think under a dedicated LB coach (that also isn't the special teams "coach" and the defensive coordinator and the head coach and starting to lose his edge like the previous LB coach), Khari Coleman couldn't have become a dominant defensive force for us by switching positions? If not, I will have to respectfully disagree with you on that.

Last edited:

Froggish

��
*2018Penn StateBig TenFRLB134735824.01.500000

2020TCUBig 12FRDE919143315.03.0000000

Obviously I'm not saying they are identical, I'm saying they have a lot of similarities (even the tongue-in-cheek number reference). If you look at their freshmen years, for example, two things stand out to me. While Parsons had way more tackles than him, Coleman had twice as many sacks and nearly 4 times as many tackles for a loss, and in 4 fewer games. He was a major presence in the opponents' backfield for us, and that speaks volumes to me, especially when our defense was as crappy as it was.

You really don't think under a dedicated LB coach (that also isn't the special teams "coach" and the defensive coordinator and the head coach and starting to lose his edge like the previous LB coach), Khari Coleman couldn't have become a dominant defensive force for us by switching positions? If not, I will have to respectfully disagree with you on that.
The difference is Parson played in a different system as an off of the LOS LB at Penn St..Khari has never, not in HS nor at TCU, played as an off the LOS LB. You’re completely downplaying the scheme differences. Going from never playing in space to doing that on every play is really really hard.

The second part of this equation is he informed the staff that he had no interest in playing LB. It’s certainly possible that he was just making excuses for wanting to move on, get paid, or something else, but those were his words. He wanted to be a 6-2 230LB DE and there are very few programs wanting that guy in that role. Honestly it smells like a guy who just wants to leave.

GPs use of defensive ends is an exception to most every DL rule/Def rule in the business. I say this as a guy who was a defensive GA’d for an FBS program and studied many hours of film on GP. If there such a thing as a “coverage sack”, I can tell you GP is the master of the Spill TFL. Coleman an excellent athlete but he’s not going to be that hard to replace

FrogBall09

The difference is Parson played in a different system as an off of the LOS LB at Penn St..Khari has never, not in HS nor at TCU, played as an off the LOS LB. You’re completely downplaying the scheme differences. Going from never playing in space to doing that on every play is really really hard.

The second part of this equation is he informed the staff that he had no interest in playing LB. It’s certainly possible that he was just making excuses for wanting to move on, get paid, or something else, but those were his words. He wanted to be a 6-2 230LB DE and there are very few programs wanting that guy in that role. Honestly it smells like a guy who just wants to leave.

GPs use of defensive ends is an exception to most every DL rule/Def rule in the business. I say this as a guy who was a defensive GA’d for an FBS program and studied many hours of film on GP. If there such a thing as a “coverage sack”, I can tell you GP is the master of the Spill TFL. Coleman an excellent athlete but he’s not going to be that hard to replace
Parson's never played LB until college either - so what exactly is your point? that he can't learn because he has been here two years? or that the Penn St can develop players but our D staff has to recruit guys that already know their position only?

so we have a coaching staff that can't adapt to their players.....great, sounds like the last group...

As far as any statement he made about not wanting to play LB - we hired these guys to sell it not to just play the hand they were dealt

FrogBall09

glad you don't do our scouting.....nor did you evidently watch Parsons as an underclassmen at PSU

Froggish

Parson's never played LB until college either - so what exactly is your point? that he can't learn because he has been here two years? or that the Penn St can develop players but our D staff has to recruit guys that already know their position only?

so we have a coaching staff that can't adapt to their players.....great, sounds like the last group...

As far as any statement he made about not wanting to play LB - we hired these guys to sell it not to just play the hand they were dealt
Did you ever consider that the new staff didn’t want him? He just spent a season getting his ass handed to him. You’re taking this to hard

FrogBall09

Did you ever consider that the new staff didn’t want him? He just spent a season getting his ass handed to him. You’re taking this to hard
he also spent the year before kicking butt....if the new staff can't figure out a way to make a guy that had his talent and performance his freshman year work in the new scheme, that says more about our new coaches than the player.

I find it funny that the excuse on here for everyone that leaves is that we didn't want them while all the transfer guys we have coming in are difference makers in the making that just needed a different geography

Guessing reality is in middle and that we are more likely losing at least a few guys that could really help under the new scheme but don't buy the sales pitch and we are going to be getting a couple of guys that their fans are glad to see headed out of town...

CountryFrog

glad you don't do our scouting.....nor did you evidently watch Parsons as an underclassmen at PSU
Ok. 1st, I really don't think anyone had Parson's freshman year at Penn St in mind when they made that comparison. 2nd, how many hours of Parson's Penn St film have you poured over? 3rd, once Coleman becomes one of the most dominant players in the NFL then I'll be happy to let you bury my face in how wrong I was about this.

CountryFrog

he also spent the year before kicking butt....if the new staff can't figure out a way to make a guy that had his talent and performance his freshman year work in the new scheme, that says more about our new coaches than the player.

I find it funny that the excuse on here for everyone that leaves is that we didn't want them while all the transfer guys we have coming in are difference makers in the making that just needed a different geography

Guessing reality is in middle and that we are more likely losing at least a few guys that could really help under the new scheme but don't buy the sales pitch and we are going to be getting a couple of guys that their fans are glad to see headed out of town...
I think there's a fairly large middle ground between "he sucks and we didn't want him" and "he's got the ability to be the next Micah Parsons."

McFroggin

I don’t think we are saying that we don’t want our talented players as we have to be ok with losing talent to adapt to a new defensive scheme. Our new HC specifically brought in a DC that utilizes a totally different system. Most of our DL doesn’t fit that scheme. Either we have to be ok with letting talented kids go or we shouldn’t have hired this DC. We also need a lot more LB’s in the new system. I bet many players that think of themselves as DE, don’t want to learn a LB position. It is what it is.

FrogCop19

Ok. 1st, I really don't think anyone had Parson's freshman year at Penn St in mind when they made that comparison. 2nd, how many hours of Parson's Penn St film have you poured over? 3rd, once Coleman becomes one of the most dominant players in the NFL then I'll be happy to let you bury my face in how wrong I was about this.
I made the comparison based off the generic playstyle, a fast, LB-sized outside edge DE lineman. And when you said you can't compare Parson the NFL player to Coleman the sophomore in college, I agree. That's why I brought up the comparison to their collegiate career. I am NOT saying they are equal, I was saying their play style and utilization are similar.

Froggish

The truth is definitely in the middle and I agree that Khari could have helped us. I don’t think you ever want to lose guys who have plus athleticism. Especially on a depleted defense. I also happen to believe that it wasn’t a given he would have been a great LB. It’s a tough transition. Safe to say we are all just projecting here.

Eight

I think there's a fairly large middle ground between "he sucks and we didn't want him" and "he's got the ability to be the next Micah Parsons."

just-a-little-bit-tiny-bit.gif