• The KillerFrogs

2021-2022 Transfer Portal Thread

CountryFrog

I made the comparison based off the generic playstyle, a fast, LB-sized outside edge DE lineman. And when you said you can't compare Parson the NFL player to Coleman the sophomore in college, I agree. That's why I brought up the comparison to their collegiate career. I am NOT saying they are equal, I was saying their play style and utilization are similar.
I just totally disagree with the idea that there's much similarity in what they do or can do athletically. Parsons is an absolute freak athlete. Not just a good athlete like Coleman. Plus he's bigger and stronger. So he's capable of doing things that Coleman never will be.

I've seen absolutely nothing out of Coleman to make me believe he can be even a capable LB, much less a great one. Now obviously just because I haven't seen it doesn't make it impossible but the idea that because Micah Parsons can do so many different things and Coleman can somehow be exactly like that is flawed. Parsons could probably drop 15 lbs and be a pro bowl safety if he really wanted to.

FrogBall09

Ok. 1st, I really don't think anyone had Parson's freshman year at Penn St in mind when they made that comparison. 2nd, how many hours of Parson's Penn St film have you poured over? 3rd, once Coleman becomes one of the most dominant players in the NFL then I'll be happy to let you bury my face in how wrong I was about this.
I was the one that made the comparison - it was exactly what I had in mind - converting a guy that was a good DL but too small to play at the next level to a hybrid LB like PSU did with Parsons - his success in the NFL is what has made the concept come to the forefront for undersized DE's although Jerry Hughes did it years ago after TCU.

However we would never had give Parsons the chance and Hughes would have been pushed to the portal by our current staff evidently.

Landyn Watson just hit the portal also - but hey, I am sure since he isn't 280+ we didn't have any use for him either - I mean it is not like these guys that are leaving are getting offers from schools with a lot higher profile than TCU or anything.....

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I was the one that made the comparison - it was exactly what I had in mind - converting a guy that was a good DL but too small to play at the next level to a hybrid LB like PSU did with Parsons - his success in the NFL is what has made the concept come to the forefront for undersized DE's although Jerry Hughes did it years ago after TCU.

However we would never had give Parsons the chance and Hughes would have been pushed to the portal by our current staff evidently.

Landyn Watson just hit the portal also - but hey, I am sure since he isn't 280+ we didn't have any use for him either - I mean it is not like these guys that are leaving are getting offers from schools with a lot higher profile than TCU or anything.....
Watson didn’t crack the lineup last year when the defense was horrid. We have no idea what we are losing. Could be a big loss could be a blessing. No one but the coaches know.

Eight

not sure which is the more hyperbolic statement

that parsons success in the nfl after one season this year is what made the concept of moving defensive linemen who were too small to play that position at the next level come to the forefront for undersized de's or that this current staff will have pushed hughes to the portal when not one defensive lineman who transferred out has come close to achieving at tcu what hughes did in his time here

please feel free to respond with your normal disdain to anyone who wasn't a collegiate athlete

FrogCop19

I just totally disagree with the idea that there's much similarity in what they do or can do athletically. Parsons is an absolute freak athlete. Not just a good athlete like Coleman. Plus he's bigger and stronger. So he's capable of doing things that Coleman never will be.

I've seen absolutely nothing out of Coleman to make me believe he can be even a capable LB, much less a great one. Now obviously just because I haven't seen it doesn't make it impossible but the idea that because Micah Parsons can do so many different things and Coleman can somehow be exactly like that is flawed. Parsons could probably drop 15 lbs and be a pro bowl safety if he really wanted to.
I'm not sure you've been reading my posts, but nowhere, not once, have I said they are exactly alike. In fact, I literally said:

FrogCop19 said:
I made the comparison based off the generic playstyle: a fast, LB-sized outside edge DE lineman. And when you said you can't compare Parsons the NFL player to Coleman the sophomore in college, I agree. That's why I brought up the comparison to their collegiate career. I am NOT saying they are equal, I was saying their play style and utilization are similar.

As for their size difference, Coleman is 6'2"/220 and Parsons is 6'3"/245. Yes, 25 lbs. is a big difference, but one inch isn't. It's not like one is 6'8" and the other is 6'2". Again, I'm not saying they are equal, I am saying their playstyle, that of a fast, LB-sized outside D-lineman that plays like an extra linebacker is similar.

No sarcasm here, honestly, but I am a bit confused to why you are claiming I said they are equals. I'm just saying I think we are going to miss his presence in the opponents' backfield, where his freshman year he led the team in TFL and was second in sacks in 9 games.

Last edited:

FrogCop19

The truth is definitely in the middle and I agree that Khari could have helped us. I don’t think you ever want to lose guys who have plus athleticism. Especially on a depleted defense. I also happen to believe that it wasn’t a given he would have been a great LB. It’s a tough transition. Safe to say we are all just projecting here.
This I can completely agree with on all levels. :)

asleep003

You should probably learn more about the new defense.
You don’t think he maybe could have adapted to linebacker and played well in the 3-3-5? I am listening if you can take a moment to explain and others might be interested too.
At his size, Coleman would never see a DE snap in the NFL, except for maybe at special teams.

Pretty much with both views. Do feel Coleman could have evolved/fit into 1 of those 3 LB spots successfully and at the same time come up to the line immediately in last minute situations, based on an opponents last seconds formation changes... which could also save a time out or 3, during a game.

Last edited:

Froggish

Landyn Watson is in the portal. Gary’s undersized DL/DE not seeing much of a future for themselves in the new scheme apparently.
There are several common themes with 4 out of the 5 DL that have entered the portal. All undersized hybrid types, all fit a specific Gary Patterson philosophy, and all were built to run around an OL not tie him up.

Patrick Jenkins was the only natural fit. Even O Mathis said no when asked to get his body weight to 275..

There’s a definite difference in philosophy from GP to Gillespie

Palliative Care

This reminds me of the Wisconsin game. Our fast undersized defense held them for 3 quarters as they tried to pass and run outside way too much, but in the forth they went to the run game. Their monster linemen and big backs just kicked out defense down the field. Fortunately a failed two point play, a recovered on sides kick and a lack of remaining game time allowed us to preserve the win.

We were fond of saying that speed kills. However, teams began to run straight at us over the last several years and that took us down. Other things contributed but "and its third down" became meaningless especially when it was four or less yards to go.

I am no analyst but the 3-3-5 but from what I read, uses size up front and speed and size in the secondary to try and control the pass and run. It takes special people to play it well and as we are seeing many of our players from last season are not exactly the prototypes for the new scheme. I hate to see some of these people go as I know they can play well, just not in this scheme.

Wexahu

This reminds me of the Wisconsin game. Our fast undersized defense held them for 3 quarters as they tried to pass and run outside way too much, but in the forth they went to the run game. Their monster linemen and big backs just kicked out defense down the field. Fortunately a failed two point play, a recovered on sides kick and a lack of remaining game time allowed us to preserve the win.

We were fond of saying that speed kills. However, teams began to run straight at us over the last several years and that took us down. Other things contributed but "and its third down" became meaningless especially when it was four or less yards to go.

I am no analyst but the 3-3-5 but from what I read, uses size up front and speed and size in the secondary to try and control the pass and run. It takes special people to play it well and as we are seeing many of our players from last season are not exactly the prototypes for the new scheme. I hate to see some of these people go as I know they can play well, just not in this scheme.
Yeah, that Wisconsin game plan was pretty dumb. Their last possession of the 1st half was the real head scratcher. Showed absolutely zero clock awareness, were going into full huddle and taking all the time in the world inside three minutes and just settled for a longish field goal. It was almost like BB thought it was the end of the 1st or 3rd quarter and not the half.