• The KillerFrogs

2019 MLB Thread

MTfrog5

Curious how Astros fans feel about Hinch and how he manages his pitchers. To me it seems he’s made some questionable moves in big games. I have a hard time understanding why he took out Grienke last night

FBallFan123

IIRC, Cole wants to go to a West Coast team that'll be a contender. Pretty much points to the Dodgers.

Dodgers and and Yankees both have a need for starting pitching, but their GM’s have acted more like small market teams in recent years, so they’ll have to change course if they’re going to land Cole or Strasburg.

Phillies might also be big spenders.

Lot of speculation that the Angels will be in on Cole ...and their owner just said payroll is going up.

With Ohtani expected to return to pitching, the Angels could become contenders by adding Cole.

They’re also expected to add an elite prospect (Jo Adell) next season.

AL West could become competitive again next season.

Eight

Not getting that call against Soto hurt, but hard to complain too much, Greinke has benefited from a wide strike zone tonight.

I tend to agree with you.

Rendon and Soto are the two most dangerous bats in the lineup...even allowing a HR to Rendon and walk to Soto...Greinke is through the toughest part of the lineup.

Not sure you take out Greinke there.

Not sure you put Harris in there.

funny how we have a number of shows afterwards complaining about the call at first base in game 6, but where was the outrage over the strike zones in game 5 and then tonight's oval shaped strike zone.

i do agree the missed second strike on soto impacted things, but in the end the series was lost because in 4 games the astros were unable to drive in runs when they had people in scoring positions, the nats killed in with two outs and runner in scoring positions, and the nats had a deeper pitching staff.

also don't mind the nats getting a ring while harper sits in philly

Ron Swanson

Curious how Astros fans feel about Hinch and how he manages his pitchers. To me it seems he’s made some questionable moves in big games. I have a hard time understanding why he took out Grienke last night
I really like AJ and trust him. I don’t agree with all of his decisions but I generally assume he knows what he’s doing and there is reason behind his moves.

He’s certainly not scared to make a move that he thinks gives us the best chance to win, even if he knows it will open him up to criticism and 2nd guessing if it doesn’t work, which I respect.

I don’t think I would’ve pulled Greinke there, but Will Harris has been incredible this year and Hinch thought he had a better chance of ending the inning than Zach. Didn’t work out obviously, but that’s how baseball go.

FBallFan123

And they said Rendon has rejected their big offer.

It’s gonna be interesting to see what happens with Rendon.

He’ll be two years older than Arenado was when he got his deal.

Not sure he’ll get much more than the Nationals offer (7 years between $210-215)...but the Nats offer had deferrals (although not nearly as much as the somewhat ridiculous amount they had in the Harper offer).

If he and Strasburg leave the Nats will look a whole lot different next season.

FBallFan123

I really like AJ and trust him. I don’t agree with all of his decisions but I generally assume he knows what he’s doing and there is reason behind his moves.

He’s certainly not scared to make a move that he thinks gives us the best chance to win, even if he knows it will open him up to criticism and 2nd guessing if it doesn’t work, which I respect.

I don’t think I would’ve pulled Greinke there, but Will Harris has been incredible this year and Hinch thought he had a better chance of ending the inning than Zach. Didn’t work out obviously, but that’s how baseball go.

Harris had the most games (12) of any pitcher this postseason.

Think the use might’ve caught up to him in the end.

Not putting all of the blame for the loss on Hinch, but a manager has to have a feel for their pitchers.

Last edited:

Eight

the one problem with bringing harris in last night is that he had a heavy work load in the season, heavy work load in the first two series, and didn't look good the night before.

pressely was never really the same after the knee injury and i think the issues at the back half of the rotation and the bull pen finally caught up with them.

miely didn't make any of the playoff rosters, the two pichers from toronto were shut down with injuries, mchugh was shut down with an injury, peacock struggled staying healthy, mccullars was out with recovering from tommy john, and the rest of the bull pen was spotty

LVH

The Astros have been the most hateable team in MLB the past few years

You know you are bad when people would rather pull for the Yankees

Ron Swanson

The Astros have been the most hateable team in MLB the past few years

You know you are bad when people would rather pull for the Yankees
You have a strange obsession with the Astros. Most Rangers fans hate the Astros, but you seemly oddly fixated.

And also, you’re wrong. Almost every Ranger fan I know was rooting for us to beat the Yankees (because everyone hates the Yankees), but then wanted us to lose to the Nats.

You have a strange obsession with the Astros. Most Rangers fans hate the Astros, but you seemly oddly fixated.

And also, you’re wrong. Almost every Ranger fan I know was rooting for us to beat the Yankees (because everyone hates the Yankees), but then wanted us to lose to the Nats.
I wanted the Yankees to beat the Stros in the ALCS only so that the Nat's could beat the Yankees in the WS. However, the Stros were by far the better team. I consider it quite an accomplishment to beat the Astros in a 7 game series.

Interesting point: Nat's went 10-0 in games pitched by Strassburg and Scherzer.