• The KillerFrogs

2019 MLB Thread

FBallFan123

is it plausible cole and strausberg end up on the same team?

both so cal boys...

That would cost a TON of money, especially with so many big market teams desperate for starting pitching.

Cole likely gets the biggest pitching contract ever.

I think Strasburg, who’s 2 years older, likely signs first.

Strasburg could sign the biggest pitching contract first...set the market...and then Cole surpass it.

With Boras having both pitchers...he holds all the cards.

I just hope the negotiations don’t drag on as long as the Machado/Harper negotiations did last year...but I assume they will.

Last edited:

Eight

That would cost a TON of money, especially with so many big market teams desperate for starting pitching.

Cole likely gets the biggest pitching contract ever.

I think Strasburg, who’s 2 years older, likely signs first.

Strasburg could sign the biggest pitching contract first...set the market...and then Cole surpass it.

With Boras having both pitchers...he holds all the cards.

I just hope the negotiations don’t drag on as long as the Machado/Harper negotiations did last year...but I assume they will.

just need to find a team willing to tie up $80M a year for the next 8-10 years.

Last edited:

FBallFan123

AMERICAN LEAGUE WEST

Houston Astros: Starting pitching

With Gerrit Cole headed for free agency and unlikely to return, the World Series runners-up will look to add a starter to fill that slot. Lance McCullers Jr. will be back from elbow surgery, though Wade Miley is also a free agent. Prospect Forrest Whitley could fill one of the two openings. It's easy to envision the Astros signing Zack Wheeler for a fraction of what Cole will get, and trying to make him the next Cole given their similarities.

Potential FA targets: Zack Wheeler, Jake Odorizzi

Texas Rangers: Starting pitching

Lance Lynn and Mike Minor return to lead the rotation, but the Rangers would use another veteran starter as they prepare to move into their new ballpark. Speaking of that new park ... there will be a lot of buzz that the Rangers will want to make a splash before moving into their new digs, and they are among the teams that will be linked to third baseman Anthony Rendon, a Texas native. The Rangers don't currently have an obvious long-term solution at third, so Rendon makes sense in that regard.

Potential FA targets: Michael Wacha, Matt Harvey

FBallFan123

1. Gerrit Cole, SP
Age: 29 | 2019 Stats: 20-5. 2.50 ERA, 0.895 WHIP, 13.8 K/9, 6.8 WAR
Current Team: Astros | Best Fit: Yankees

Cole is a lock to break David Price’s record $217 million contract for a pitcher. His sensational two seasons with the Astros certainly added well more than $100 million to his haul—and will probably price Houston out of the competition for him. How much will he command? Well, every big-spending club in the game will likely bid for him, including the Angels, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Phillies and White Sox. He’s believed to want to return to his native California, but it’s possible the Yankees will make an offer that is too absurd for him to pass up—as they did to another native Californian a dozen years ago, CC Sabathia.

2. Anthony Rendon, 3B
Age: 30 | 2019 Stats: .319 BA, 1.010 OPS, 34 HR, 126 RBI, 5 SB, 6.3 WAR
Current Team: Nationals | Best Fit: Rangers

He’d have been an NL MVP candidate in many seasons—just not one that featured even more astounding performances by Cody Bellinger and Christian Yelich. But Rendon simply does everything really, really well—including playing third base—and the injuries to his ankle and shoulder that caused him to fall to sixth overall in the 2011 draft haven’t hampered him as a big leaguer (he’s averaged 146 games played over the past four years). He’s a native Texan and played college ball at Rice, but those would be only small factors in the mammoth offer the Rangers might make him to serve as the club’s big acquisition ahead of opening its new ballpark

3. Stephen Strasburg, SP
Age: 31 | 2019 Stats: 18-6, 3.32 ERA, 1.038 WHIP, 10.8 K/9, 6.5 WAR
Current Team: Nationals | Best Fit: Angels

Strasburg can opt out of the remaining four years and $100 million on his Nationals contract—and after another superb season, followed by a crazy run to the World Series in which he struck out 33 hitters over his first four postseason starts while walking one, he likely will. He might then renegotiate a better contract with the Nationals, as Clayton Kershaw did with the Dodgers last year. Or he might truly test the market. I don’t actually think that a players’ birthplace plays that much of a role in his free agency decisions—maybe a tiebreaker, sometimes—but I do think that the Angels will be motivated to spend a lot on the Southern Californian, if they miss out on Gerrit Cole.

4. Zack Wheeler, SP
5. Aroldis Chapman, RP
6. J.D. Martinez, DH
7. Madison Bumgarner, SP
8. Yasmani Grandal, C
9. Josh Donaldson, 3B
10. Hyun-Jin Ryu, SP
11. Nick Castellanos, OF
12. Marcell Ozuna, OF
13. Didi Gregorius, SS
14. Jake Odorizzi, SP
15. Dallas Keuchel, SP

FBallFan123

My goodness, we are so spare.

I was kinda surprised to find the Rangers currently have $112 million in total payroll for next year.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/texas-rangers/payroll/

Declining the club option on Castillo would take $8 million off that.

Still got a lot of money tied up in Shin-Soo Choo ($21 million), and Prince Fielder ($9 milion).

Both of those end after next season though, and the payroll drops way down for 2021 (currently $40 million).

2021 is really the season the Rangers should start to become contenders in the West.

They'll have tons of payroll flexibility, and their top 5 prospects (Josh Jung 3B, Sam Huff C, Hans Crouse P, Cole Winn P, Leody Tavares OF) could all be up in the majors by then.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=tex

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The Rangers, Astros have a little help from the Tax Man. Far cheaper for players to play in Texas than, say NY or Cali. Brutal taxes in those States.

Who knows what Jeff Luhnow will pull out of his hat for the Astros? He is the shrewdest GM in Baseball.