• The KillerFrogs

2019-2020 TCU basketball thread

Skip Jansen

That program is significantly in front of ours.

One of the reasons that Chris Beard is so successful is that he does something that seems extremely simple, but isn't done as much as most think-

He recruits players that fit his style of play and fit into his program.

I've posted about this before (as have others). It's the only way to build a 'culture' in a program. Coaches talk about culture all the time but very few attain one. You can't build and sustain a program without building a culture.

That starts with roster building. Good recruiting is about getting players that fit. It's not about just getting a collection of good players.

Unfortunately, It's hard to do because the recruiting process is broken. I've been involved with it for a long time and most kids make a bad decision. It's because most kids have an outside influence that either doesn't know or doesn't care what in the recruit's best interest.

Transfer rates are going to keep rising. And, it's going to be harder and harder to sustain success. That's why Beard's program will keep doing well. He's an outstanding coach and he has a plan. Hard combination to beat.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

One of the reasons that Chris Beard is so successful is that he does something that seems extremely simple, but isn't done as much as most think-

I've posted about this before (as have others). It's the only way to build a 'culture' in a program. Coaches talk about culture all the time but very few attain one. You can't build and sustain a program without building a culture.

That starts with roster building. Good recruiting is about getting players that fit. It's not about just getting a collection of good players.

Unfortunately, It's hard to do because the recruiting process is broken. I've been involved with it for a long time and most kids make a bad decision. It's because most kids have an outside influence that either doesn't know or doesn't care what in the recruit's best interest.

Transfer rates are going to keep rising. And, it's going to harder and harder to sustain success. That's why Beard's program will keep doing well. He's an outstanding coach and he has a plan. Hard combination to beat.
I’ve heard him talk about that. Impressive dude.

Farmfrog

I have a question in regards to scheduling. We don’t seem to have a problem getting buy games every year and was just wondering why we don’t attempt more home and home games with teams that the casual fan can identify with. There might be a financial reason but I think playing just one or two more good teams in non league games will help us prepare better for conference season.

CountryFrog

I have a question in regards to scheduling. We don’t seem to have a problem getting buy games every year and was just wondering why we don’t attempt more home and home games with teams that the casual fan can identify with. There might be a financial reason but I think playing just one or two more good teams in non league games will help us prepare better for conference season.
My opinion - We're currently in that middle ground where we're good enough that we COULD beat just about anyone but not good enough to where beating us would help a really high level program.

Also, I'm sure from a TCU perspective - piling up as many wins in OOC is the primary goal in scheduling right now. With the annual Big 12 games against SEC and Big East teams, that's at least 2 high quality opponents in the OOC just about every year. While I'm sure TCU wouldn't say no to Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc they're probably not aggressively seeking opponents like that either.

Eight

the one thing i wish tcu's schedule had to it was at least one true away game.

frogs' first true away game is their game at kansas state

Farmfrog

It doesn’t really have to be a top 10 or so team. Teams like Mizzou, Ole Miss, Az St, Stanford, Utah, Minnesota, St Mary’s I believe would be an upgrade and would allow us to get better.

Skip Jansen

Farm-

Financial reasons are part of it.

Some coaches also figured out a way to manipulate the RPI. TCU's coach was one of the first to employ that strategy.

They use NET now but a lot of the principles remain the same. See the article below.

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/09/27/schedule-strength

Froggish

Transfer rates are going to keep rising. And, it's going to be harder and harder to sustain success. That's why Beard's program will keep doing well. He's an outstanding coach and he has a plan. Hard combination to beat.

My apologies if you’ve answered this before, but what style do you think Jamie wants to play? What “fit” should he be recruiting to?

Skip Jansen

My apologies if you’ve answered this before, but what style do you think Jamie wants to play? What “fit” should he be recruiting to?

Style of play is usually referenced with offense. But IMO, Jamie is a defense first coach. He wants to play a style that fits that. I would call it an 'efficient' style.

Unfortunately, 99% of kids don't come out of H.S. as good defenders. The defense at the college level compared to H.S. is like night and day. You have to develop players to become good defensive players at the college level.

So... a lot of Jamie's recruits are based on that.

Froggish

Style of play is usually referenced with offense. But IMO, Jamie is a defense first coach. He wants to play a style that fits that. I would call it an 'efficient' style.

Unfortunately, 99% of kids don't come out of H.S. as good defenders. The defense at the college level compared to H.S. is like night and day. You have to develop players to become good defensive players at the college level.

So... a lot of Jamie's recruits are based on that.

Do you see him ever playing more zone to help out his youth? I know he’s long been a man up coach but I’ve been disappointed in how we guard on the ball. We seem to struggle forcing teams out of their sets.

I am encouraged by this years team. They have a willingness to get after it on the defensive end. Effort seems to be there

Farmfrog

Skip-

We are ranked 87 in the initial NET rankings so I’m not sure if our rank is more about our team or more about the schedule we’ve played. Bottom line for me is I don’t like to put all our eggs in having to win a majority of our conference games to get into the tourney.

We are about to face three of our best OOC games starting with Xavier followed by George Mason then Arkansas. Our new guys now have 10 games under their belt and need to be at their best.

Skip Jansen

Do you see him ever playing more zone to help out his youth? I know he’s long been a man up coach but I’ve been disappointed in how we guard on the ball. We seem to struggle forcing teams out of their sets.

I am encouraged by this years team. They have a willingness to get after it on the defensive end. Effort seems to be there

Froggish-

I doubt we'll see much zone from Jamie at all. His man to man defense is kinda the essence of his coaching sty!e.

As for the Frogs forcing teams out of their sets. First of all, that's an excellent observation by you. Secondly, that starts with having a great on ball defender who can disrupt the opponent's primary ball handler. The current staff looks for that kind of player in every recruiting class. They are hard to find.

bp4tcu

7-11 in conference is why ended up in the NIT. The fact the we were in the last 4 out despite that says the strategy probably worked.
Get us in the tournament and I’ll say it worked. Until then, it’s a strategy that gets you in the NIT. Whoopdee doo Basil.

Is the last 4 out supposed to be something we’re proud of now, because I’m not.

CountryFrog

It doesn’t really have to be a top 10 or so team. Teams like Mizzou, Ole Miss, Az St, Stanford, Utah, Minnesota, St Mary’s I believe would be an upgrade and would allow us to get better.
Those teams would certainly be an upgrade from a scheduling perspective. But to your point about generating interest from the casual fan - I don't think any of those teams you listed would do that.

Latest posts