• The KillerFrogs

What would you do if you were AD?

What would you do if you were AD?

• Fire Gary. Initiate nationwide coaching search.

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • Force Gary to clean house and bring in new coaches and ideas on both sides of the ball.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • Force Gary to hire a new OC that has full discretion as to who is on his staff.

Votes: 47 44.3%
  • Give Gary another year to right the ship on his own.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

jake102

I am not sure Gary can be "forced" to do something. It took a "strong encouragement" from CDC last time around.

Of course he can't. But will Donati even give a "strong encouragement"?

Also, if I'm Donati, I print Urban Meyer's comments and then print the response GP just gave to those comments, and stick them on his desk and Boschini's desk. Unacceptable.

Big Frog II

I still think Gary has plenty of great years ahead of him. However, he must realize that his offense is his Achilles Heel. He simply must make changes after this year to keep us relevant. It is like a business, you frequently have to reinvent yourself periodically or you will go by the wayside.

PO Frog

Of course he can't. But will Donati even give a "strong encouragement"?

Also, if I'm Donati, I print Urban Meyer's comments and then print the response GP just gave to those comments, and stick them on his desk and Boschini's desk. Unacceptable.
Did I miss GP's response somewhere? Please provide if so

jake102

Did I miss GP's response somewhere? Please provide if so

10040284.PNG

And that is how you end up with Jarrett Anderson as your OL coach after being previously demoted from that position and how you end up with Doug Meacham as your OC after being previously demoted from that position and having your best friend overseeing the work of these two individuals. Who the hell is Urban Meyer and what does he know that these guys don’t?

Froggish

Hey, if we don't go at least 9-3, 8-4 next year, I'll agree that GP has lost his step. Until then, give the issues we've had at QB and both lines, I think the old guy still has something left in him.

I'm sure you'll be ecstatic when if we fail again next year.

Nope not at all. I'd love nothing more for GP to shut up the doubters but I recall saying that 3 years ago and it hasn't gotten any better. It sounds like from your post that its the 4 years mark where you'll have had enough.

Froggish

I saw some South Carolina fans on Twitter yesterday basically saying, "We should definitely talk to Urban Meyer. He's a jerk with a huge ego, but we would be crazy not to talk to him." And I thought, "what a bunch of delusional clowns." Then I thought, "Yeah, TCU fans are the same way and we look just as dumb."

The other thing that occurred to me is that, just like every year, there will be competition and you can't just "go get" the obvious choices like Luke Fickell or even Billy Napier.

I have to be honest and admit I'm so demoralized that I kind of want Gary to retire, but on an intellectual level I know that if that happens there is a high probability that TCU will botch the hire, and maybe several hires. See: Tennessee, Michigan, Texas, Nebraska (all schools that are way higher in the pecking order than TCU).

TCU will absolutely botch the next hire because 95% of schools do...TCU had pretty low expectations for the program when they hired GP. It just so happens he crushed it out of the park...The next guy won't be so lucky. This fan base will be crawling up his ass by the end of the 1st Q of game 1.

Frog92

TCU will absolutely botch the next hire because 95% of schools do...TCU had pretty low expectations for the program when they hired GP. It just so happens he crushed it out of the park...The next guy won't be so lucky. This fan base will be crawling up his ass by the end of the 1st Q of game 1.
Overly pessimistic is a terrible way to go through life.

Coaching stints - even the ones who reach great heights - eventually come to an end whether by choice or by becoming stale. I think we are at the latter. I love Gary and everything he has done for our school and athletic program. He HAS to see what a disaster the last three years have been offensively. If he doesn't and won't change it, time to move on.

Wexahu

What will your expectations be for the new guy? If it's "win a Big 12 Championship" or "be in contention for the CFP" within 4 years, there's a very very good chance you're gonna be disappointed. What's the definition of a botched hire?

Froggish

Overly pessimistic is a terrible way to go through life.

Coaching stints - even the ones who reach great heights - eventually come to an end whether by choice or by becoming stale. I think we are at the latter. I love Gary and everything he has done for our school and athletic program. He HAS to see what a disaster the last three years have been offensively. If he doesn't and won't change it, time to move on.

I'm not being pessimistic at all. I can list literally a dozen long tenured successful coaches across multiple sports that when their time was up, the next hire was a complete failure. Its part of sports and it happens much more time than not. Its incredibly hard for someone to replace a highly successful coach.

Bobby Bowden, Mack Brown, Bill Snyder (the first time), Bear Bryant..list could go on

Dean Smith (Hoops), John Thompson Jr....

My point is not to be pessimistic only to say is its incredibly difficult to follow a legend and most can't..It takes a few hires to get things back on track. The exceptions are in situations where the person taking over is already in the program like Riley or Ryan Day...We don't have a guy like that. There is no coach in waiting

Froggish

What will your expectations be for the new guy? If it's "win a Big 12 Championship" or "be in contention for the CFP" within 4 years, there's a very very good chance you're gonna be disappointed. What's the definition of a botched hire?
Read my response...to the original post. Botched is a cheap word. I made th epoint that replacing a legend generally takes more than 1 hire to get back on track.