• The KillerFrogs

What would you do if you were AD?

What would you do if you were AD?

• Fire Gary. Initiate nationwide coaching search.

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • Force Gary to clean house and bring in new coaches and ideas on both sides of the ball.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • Force Gary to hire a new OC that has full discretion as to who is on his staff.

Votes: 47 44.3%
  • Give Gary another year to right the ship on his own.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

Wexahu

I'm not being pessimistic at all. I can list literally a dozen long tenured successful coaches across multiple sports that when their time was up, the next hire was a complete failure. Its part of sports and it happens much more time than not. Its incredibly hard for someone to replace a highly successful coach.

Bobby Bowden, Mack Brown, Bill Snyder (the first time), Bear Bryant..list could go on

Dean Smith (Hoops), John Thompson Jr....

My point is not to be pessimistic only to say is its incredibly difficult to follow a legend and most can't..It takes a few hires to get things back on track. The exceptions are in situations where the person taking over is already in the program like Riley or Ryan Day...We don't have a guy like that. There is no coach in waiting

Remember when it was kind of assumed Cumbie was the "coach in waiting"? How things change.

PO Frog

Remember when it was kind of assumed Cumbie was the "coach in waiting"? How things change.
I actually think that a huge part of the problem. I think GP would like Cumbie to be the next guy, but he can't do that based on what we've seen out of that side of the ball lately. So Gary is desperately searching for a way to keep SC on staff and be successful enough to walk away at the same time as handing off the keys to SC. Hence the mix and match and Jerry Kill Head Coach of the offense crap. Unfortunately, we are so bad on offense, we aren't ever going to get to that point. What is weird is that SC may actually be a good Head Coach, but we won't ever know because the only way this thing gets turned around is by blowing it up.

Putt4Purple

I think she posted somewhere last week that she would miss the West Virginia game....House hunting, maybe?

You do know she is from Fort Worth born and raised and has family here right? That's probably the one reason why Gary has not departed for coaching opportunities elsewhere. Just FYI.

Wexahu

I actually think that a huge part of the problem. I think GP would like Cumbie to be the next guy, but he can't do that based on what we've seen out of that side of the ball lately. So Gary is desperately searching for a way to keep SC on staff and be successful enough to walk away at the same time as handing off the keys to SC. Hence the mix and match and Jerry Kill Head Coach of the offense crap. Unfortunately, we are so bad on offense, we aren't ever going to get to that point. What is weird is that SC may actually be a good Head Coach, but we won't ever know because the only way this thing gets turned around is by blowing it up.

Agree on Cumbie, I think he might be a good Head Coach as long as he hires a good OC and gets out of his way. Kind of backwards thinking but that's how I feel. Don't want him involved in the offense at all but if we're gonna go the CEO coach route, he might be pretty good for that structure.

Agree on Cumbie, I think he might be a good Head Coach as long as he hires a good OC and gets out of his way. Kind of backwards thinking but that's how I feel. Don't want him involved in the offense at all but if we're gonna go the CEO coach route, he might be pretty good for that structure.
I think if you connect the dots on Cumbie, he might be a better head coach than he is an OC and QB coach but that’s not something I want to take a chance on with his first attempt at it being the head coach here.

M

mkel43

I would sit down with Gary at the end of the year and tell him the following:

1) I need a full time head coach, not a defensive coordinator.

2) Give play calling duties on D to someone else.

3) Coach your offensive staff and defensive with the same set of expectations you have for yourself.

4) Ensure that all groups are prepared for the upcoming game.

I can see where this has merit but who does he give that responsibility to? Obviously he doesn't have that kind of faith in his current "Defensive Coordinator" other wise he would have entrusted it to Glasgow a long time ago. The fact of the matter is after Bumpas left he hasn't had anyone to actually help him game plan and develop weekly schemes. I think we've only had a couple of years since Bumpas left besides maybe 2015 and 2017 where we actually won some games and looked like the usual GP Horned Frogs. If he can't rely on his current defensive coaches to coordinate and execute a game plan does he bring someone in? Bring someone back? (if Bumpas would even do that) I just can't figure out how he has had guys like Glasgow on his staff since he started at TCU and still doesn't have enough faith in those guys to run his defense so he can take more time to run his team.

Wexahu

I can see where this has merit but who does he give that responsibility to? Obviously he doesn't have that kind of faith in his current "Defensive Coordinator" other wise he would have entrusted it to Glasgow a long time ago. The fact of the matter is after Bumpas left he hasn't had anyone to actually help him game plan and develop weekly schemes. I think we've only had a couple of years since Bumpas left besides maybe 2015 and 2017 where we actually won some games and looked like the usual GP Horned Frogs. If he can't rely on his current defensive coaches to coordinate and execute a game plan does he bring someone in? Bring someone back? (if Bumpas would even do that) I just can't figure out how he has had guys like Glasgow on his staff since he started at TCU and still doesn't have enough faith in those guys to run his defense so he can take more time to run his team.

I'm not sure he has any interest in "running a team". He wants to coach defense and that's probably it. Truth be told we really don't have a Head Coach in practice, we just have a really, really experienced coordinator that gets paid Head Coach money.

That rears it's head when we get into a situation that requires time management, 4th and 1 decisions, etc.

M

mkel43

I'm not sure he has any interest in "running a team". He wants to coach defense and that's probably it. Truth be told we really don't have a Head Coach in practice, we just have a really, really experienced coordinator that gets paid Head Coach money.

That rears it's head when we get into a situation that requires time management, 4th and 1 decisions, etc.

I agree, but could he even count on his current defensive coaches to develop and execute a game plan even if he wanted to. I just think that if he had confidence in his current defensive staff he would have already given those responsibilities over to someone so he could focus more on situations like you just said. I go back to what I was saying about Bumpas, he would definitely have given that type of responsibility to him but does he have anyone on his current staff that he would trust as much as he trusted Bumpas?
And if not then why? Guys like Glasgow have been with him long enough to handle that type of responsibility but he hasn't given him the chance. Maybe because of Glasgows last attempt at trying to run a defense at Tech where he failed miserably.

Wexahu

I agree, but could he even count on his current defensive coaches to develop and execute a game plan even if he wanted to. I just think that if he had confidence in his current defensive staff he would have already given those responsibilities over to someone so he could focus more on situations like you just said. I go back to what I was saying about Bumpas, he would definitely have given that type of responsibility to him but does he have anyone on his current staff that he would trust as much as he trusted Bumpas?
And if not then why? Guys like Glasgow have been with him long enough to handle that type of responsibility but he hasn't given him the chance. Maybe because of Glasgows last attempt at trying to run a defense at Tech where he failed miserably.

I don't think he wants to do that. To him coaching the defense and making all the defensive calls is what it's all about. Taking that away from him (or him taking it away from himself) just isn't something in the cards as long as he is coaching here.

Eight

could be wrong, but i thought the last time he split calls was when cross was coaching linebackers and don't recall anyone picking up that responsibility since then

maybe i am wrong and someone has been doing it, but don't think sharp, fitch, or glasgow makes calls for the defensive front

M

mkel43

I don't think he wants to do that. To him coaching the defense and making all the defensive calls is what it's all about. Taking that away from him (or him taking it away from himself) just isn't something in the cards as long as he is coaching here.

I guess so but he better make some kind of change or he may end up not only not coaching defense but not coaching anything at all.

M

mkel43

could be wrong, but i thought the last time he split calls was when cross was coaching linebackers and don't recall anyone picking up that responsibility since then

maybe i am wrong and someone has been doing it, but don't think sharp, fitch, or glasgow makes calls for the defensive front

No you're right Cross did it with him after Bumpas and then when he left I think he has had GA's do it with him ever since. Maybe move Cross back into that role or get the TWO defensive line coaches to earn their money and make calls with him because it seems like to me he has a lot of guys on that defensive staff that don't really carry their weight and just look good because Gary is so good at developing scheme and getting it relayed to his players.

Wexahu

I guess so but he better make some kind of change or he may end up not only not coaching defense but not coaching anything at all.

The defense maybe hasn't been up to its normal self but I'm not worried about the structure on the defensive side of the ball. The offense is so godawful it's beyond description at times, THAT is what is holding this team back. I don't think changing the defense is necessary and I think GP trying to assist with the offense is funny to think about.

If GP stays he needs to blow up that side of the ball, bring in a guy and let him hire his staff and do his thing, and see what happens. That's really the only bullet he has.

M

mkel43

The defense maybe hasn't been up to its normal self but I'm not worried about the structure on the defensive side of the ball. The offense is so godawful it's beyond description at times, THAT is what is holding this team back. I don't think changing the defense is necessary and I think GP trying to assist with the offense is funny to think about.

If GP stays he needs to blow up that side of the ball, bring in a guy and let him hire his staff and do his thing, and see what happens. That's really the only bullet he has.

I agree. I think my overall point is not being able to understand how he has defensive coaches, some who have been with him for a very long time, that can't handle the game planning and overall running of the defense so he can be more of a true head coach. I highly doubt there are any other big time head coaches that are still solely in charge of the week in and week out game plan.

jake102

Yeah agreed. Honestly my preference is to run it back with GP one more year but with an entirely new offensive staff (maybe keep Kelly). I think if you had a competent offense our defense would be a lot better this year. The defense knows that every play could be the play the ends the game. One blown coverage and you know the offense isn't going to pick up the slack. Also the defense never ever gets to play with a lead and confidence. Literally back against the wall every single drive and play.

You would think GP would be infuriated that his defense is forced to carry the entire team and do something drastic, but he does the opposite. It's mind bottling

Tumbleweed

M

mkel43

Yeah agreed. Honestly my preference is to run it back with GP one more year but with an entirely new offensive staff (maybe keep Kelly). I think if you had a competent offense our defense would be a lot better this year. The defense knows that every play could be the play the ends the game. One blown coverage and you know the offense isn't going to pick up the slack. Also the defense never ever gets to play with a lead and confidence. Literally back against the wall every single drive and play.

You would think GP would be infuriated that his defense is forced to carry the entire team and do something drastic, but he does the opposite. It's mind bottling
He doesn't mind it because for years that's what TCU football was. 2005 TCU 13 OU 7, 2006 TCU 12 Texas Tech 3, 2008 Utah 13 TCU 10 etc.