• The KillerFrogs

What would you do if you were AD?

What would you do if you were AD?

• Fire Gary. Initiate nationwide coaching search.

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • Force Gary to clean house and bring in new coaches and ideas on both sides of the ball.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • Force Gary to hire a new OC that has full discretion as to who is on his staff.

Votes: 47 44.3%
  • Give Gary another year to right the ship on his own.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

Froggish

I agree, but could he even count on his current defensive coaches to develop and execute a game plan even if he wanted to. I just think that if he had confidence in his current defensive staff he would have already given those responsibilities over to someone so he could focus more on situations like you just said. I go back to what I was saying about Bumpas, he would definitely have given that type of responsibility to him but does he have anyone on his current staff that he would trust as much as he trusted Bumpas?
And if not then why? Guys like Glasgow have been with him long enough to handle that type of responsibility but he hasn't given him the chance. Maybe because of Glasgows last attempt at trying to run a defense at Tech where he failed miserably.

Are you familiar with DC Glasgow’s time at Texas Tech? It wasn’t pretty.

GP clearly has trust issues. It doesn’t matter if you’ve been with him for 1 year or 20 years he doesn’t trust those around him.

Wexahu

GP clearly has trust issues. It doesn’t matter if you’ve been with him for 1 year or 20 years he doesn’t trust those around him.

Not pretty, but also probably not a great situation for him. What did he get, one year? Did he have anything to work with?

PO Frog

Yeah agreed. Honestly my preference is to run it back with GP one more year but with an entirely new offensive staff (maybe keep Kelly). I think if you had a competent offense our defense would be a lot better this year. The defense knows that every play could be the play the ends the game. One blown coverage and you know the offense isn't going to pick up the slack. Also the defense never ever gets to play with a lead and confidence. Literally back against the wall every single drive and play.

You would think GP would be infuriated that his defense is forced to carry the entire team and do something drastic, but he does the opposite. It's mind bottling
I lean towards this opinion, but you also have to admit that our D catches a whole lot of teams letting up on the gas pedal because we simply don’t have the ability to match touchdown for touchdown. OU and WV most certainly could have scored more had we been matching them. Also, KSU played a freshman in his first start and beat us at home. Embarrassing on any level.

tcumaniac

10040284.PNG
To be fair, if I’m Gary, Urban Meyer can go f himself. Especially when you realize that his team unfairly jumped Gary’s team in 2014. A team that Gary’s team most likely is better than and beats if given the chance.

4th. down

Yeah agreed. Honestly my preference is to run it back with GP one more year but with an entirely new offensive staff (maybe keep Kelly). I think if you had a competent offense our defense would be a lot better this year. The defense knows that every play could be the play the ends the game. One blown coverage and you know the offense isn't going to pick up the slack. Also the defense never ever gets to play with a lead and confidence. Literally back against the wall every single drive and play.

You would think GP would be infuriated that his defense is forced to carry the entire team and do something drastic, but he does the opposite. It's mind bottling

Yes, it has to be depressing for the defense. Time after time, they make a stop and are on the bench for 4 plays and then right back on the field with GP screaming at them........we see this over and over, game to game.

We can cuss and discuss our situation over and over, which we do, but the bottom line is GP is a great DC and I should leave it at that but I won't.

As HC for a Power 5 program, he's in over his head and I say that not as a criticism but just reality as it is what it is. It's not that he isn't trying, he just doesn't know what to do. We see this all the time in management in the corporate world as everyone has their personal limits on what they can do and he's no exception. That's why he hired Kill, admitting he doesn't know offense and went to his best friend to fix our problem so you see, he's really lost. It's sad because we owe him mucho respect for what he's done for the upgrading of the University. There will be no fix, and I don't expect a pleasant ending to all of this for him.

Pharm Frog

To be fair, if I’m Gary, Urban Meyer can go f himself. Especially when you realize that his team unfairly jumped Gary’s team in 2014. A team that Gary’s team most likely is better than and beats if given the chance.

You make a decent argument for why GP might want to listen to UM’s opinion. UM outcomes > GP outcomes. But I would have been amused had GP said, “I can’t worry about what UM says because in 2014 his team unfairly jumped my team.”

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Urban had little to do with that. I will rip him to shreds on a host of other issues, but that 2014 screw job was all on ESPN and their desire for ratings.

Eight

which then leads to the question why keep those on staff you don't trust or is it a matter of he trusts those on the defensive side of the ball to follow his lead?

not sure what he would trust the offensive staff to do other than come up with a disappointing effort of scheming, game planning, and play calling

Froggish

which then leads to the question why keep those on staff you don't trust or is it a matter of he trusts those on the defensive side of the ball to follow his lead?

not sure what he would trust the offensive staff to do other than come up with a disappointing effort of scheming, game planning, and play calling

Easy Answer. GP is a control freak on the defensive side of the ball. He runs every practice down the granular details and to do it like that he has to have assistants that know every little nuance of what he likes. Glasgow isn’t going anywhere because he knows how to carry out GPs every little whim. It has nothing to do with an assistants talent. They are all there forever because GP has trust issues.

It has been said nobody knows GPs defense as well as Glasgow. The problem is that the defense isn’t any good without GP calling the scheme. GPs genius isn’t his scheme, it’s in his feel for calling it. Nobody can duplicate that.

4th. down

Easy Answer. GP is a control freak on the defensive side of the ball. He runs every practice down the granular details and to do it like that he has to have assistants that know every little nuance of what he likes. Glasgow isn’t going anywhere because he knows how to carry out GPs every little whim. It has nothing to do with an assistants talent. They are all there forever because GP has trust issues.

It has been said nobody knows GPs defense as well as Glasgow. The problem is that the defense isn’t any good without GP calling the scheme. GPs genius isn’t his scheme, it’s in his feel for calling it. Nobody can duplicate that.

Well said, and even when the wheel or the swing pass to the RB goes for a big gain, he comes right back with his answer of that so and so missed his tackle or so and so got beat or so and so was out of position, etc. and he's probably right. His calling from the very beginning was as a DC and still is.