• The KillerFrogs

What would you do if you were AD?

What would you do if you were AD?

• Fire Gary. Initiate nationwide coaching search.

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • Force Gary to clean house and bring in new coaches and ideas on both sides of the ball.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • Force Gary to hire a new OC that has full discretion as to who is on his staff.

Votes: 47 44.3%
  • Give Gary another year to right the ship on his own.

Votes: 17 16.0%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
First I would fire Gary and name myself as the new HC while also retaining my AD title. Then I'd give myself full autonomy to bring in my own staff. Next I'd give myself a fully guaranteed 12 year contract (suck it Jimbo Fisher) making myself the highest paid coach in the sport (suck it Nick Saban) with a clause that guarantees I will always make at least 10% more than any other coach.

And with all the money that I'll be making then I'll have no problem doing 2 or more girls at once whenever I feel like it.
SCENE: Early morning. Palatial, yet slightly tousled bedroom, gauzy curtains showing a hazy view looking out upon a football stadium.

An ornate door opens slightly, and a carefully dressed, tuxedo clad arm extends into the room holding a small gong. Another carefully dressed arm, this one holding a small mallet, gently rings the gong...

(BUTLER): "(sotto voce) Excuse me, ladies. (Louder, but not too loud) Sir, your Pumpkin Pancakes await you in the dining hall..."

CardFrog

If some of our better, more talented players leave if there is a coaching change, so be it. Not worried about that at all. Players come and go, we’ll find new ones. The ones that like being at TCU will probably stay.
You are probably right but that has to have a negative impact on recruiting and then you start over with new personnel the next year? It concerns me and I hope I am wrong. Believe me I am not giving up on TCU or GMFP just frustrated like all of you watching this team the last couple of years. Something definitely has to give. For me its clean house on the offensive side of the ball.

Pharm Frog

I saw some South Carolina fans on Twitter yesterday basically saying, "We should definitely talk to Urban Meyer. He's a jerk with a huge ego, but we would be crazy not to talk to him." And I thought, "what a bunch of delusional clowns." Then I thought, "Yeah, TCU fans are the same way and we look just as dumb."

The other thing that occurred to me is that, just like every year, there will be competition and you can't just "go get" the obvious choices like Luke Fickell or even Billy Napier.

I have to be honest and admit I'm so demoralized that I kind of want Gary to retire, but on an intellectual level I know that if that happens there is a high probability that TCU will botch the hire, and maybe several hires. See: Tennessee, Michigan, Texas, Nebraska (all schools that are way higher in the pecking order than TCU).

If that's the way you feel you should be calling for ADJD to be shown the door. I simply don't get this belief that any new hire would be a botched hire. Maybe it will be and maybe it won't be but to have a default position that it will be is strange to me.

It's time for Gary to go. He did great things for TCU and will always hold a special place in the heart of the fanbase. At this point the only thing he is doing is hurting his legacy. I keep reading give him one more year to right the ship but I read the same thing last year and year before. Anyone could have told TCU hiring JK and DM to fix offense was a bad idea. JK is a old dude who has never been known for being a offensive guru unless you count the power I as innovative fresh idea and DM is a failed previous experience for TCU. The whole set-up is dis-functional. The culture is bad, coaches yelling at coaches, coaches yelling at players, players yelling at coaches. Not a good visual and that starts at the top. His message and methods have grown stale. It happens all the time to coaches who stay at one place to long. I hope he sees the writing on the wall and retires with grace but I very much doubt that will be the case. Fear TCU is looking at another few years of losing with GP and then trying to rebuild and crawl way out of Big 12 cellars with a new coach.

Eight

I saw some South Carolina fans on Twitter yesterday basically saying, "We should definitely talk to Urban Meyer. He's a jerk with a huge ego, but we would be crazy not to talk to him." And I thought, "what a bunch of delusional clowns." Then I thought, "Yeah, TCU fans are the same way and we look just as dumb."

The other thing that occurred to me is that, just like every year, there will be competition and you can't just "go get" the obvious choices like Luke Fickell or even Billy Napier.

I have to be honest and admit I'm so demoralized that I kind of want Gary to retire, but on an intellectual level I know that if that happens there is a high probability that TCU will botch the hire, and maybe several hires. See: Tennessee, Michigan, Texas, Nebraska (all schools that are way higher in the pecking order than TCU).

kstate did okay with replacing snyder this time

iowa state did okay with their last hire

being afraid of something that will eventually happen doesn't make sense to me.

McGregor's Goat

If that's the way you feel you should be calling for ADJD to be shown the door. I simply don't get this belief that any new hire would be a botched hire. Maybe it will be and maybe it won't be but to have a default position that it will be is strange to me.

I think that outside of Saban and Meyer, every hire is a crap shoot and has a high chance of failing. A lot of luck is involved. Kansas State tried to hire Seth Littrell, but he backed out and they "settled" for Klieman. I already said I want Gary to retire but I understand it's a roll of the dice.

Salfrog

Tier 1
About the only way I see this working for Gary is if Fuente is fired at VT and he can bring him back as OC, and allow him to pick his own staff. Other than that, I just don't see Gary doing anything but keeping the same coaches in place, and doing the same crap over & over again.

jake102

About the only way I see this working for Gary is if Fuente is fired at VT and he can bring him back as OC, and allow him to pick his own staff. Other than that, I just don't see Gary doing anything but keeping the same coaches in place, and doing the same crap over & over again.

I'm not even sure if Fuente would turn it around. But I'm not in the Fuente future HC camp

Mean Purple

I was gonna go with the third option, but reality is, GP won't ever do that. It could mess with his ToP stats. (not sure what trophy comes with that.)

So I went "other"

That being that AD should realize he was not the result of a nationwide search, which is what a power 5 program should do, and that he is in no position to do anything. So just cash in his chips now and bail on this dumpster fire to save face and his career. Seriously, writng is on the wall. Locker room is too focused on protest groups, coach is burning time punting and cutting CDs and Urban Myer just called out the [ Finebaum ] show on national tv. Cut away and hope the reserve deploys.

Planks

I think the first and fourth options are the only legitimate options. Either be behind your HC 100% and let them manage their staff as they see fit, or fire them and hire a different HC. There is no middle ground.

If you as AD feel like you can’t trust your HC to properly manage his staff and make the correct assistant coach hires, then you just need to fire your HC and find one that you don’t have to force. Micromanaging your HC is not a recipe for success.

Tumbleweed

Gary is a prideful, ornery, stubborn man with an ego. He is a good man, after all, he has managed to coach one of the most respected college P5 programs in the nation for 20 some odd years.. He can still coach b/c of reputation, knowledge and age. I DO not believe he will leave on his own accord. He will not retire! In his mind 'I can coach today, tomorrow for five more years, at least, maybe longer.' I'm sure he will talk to his agent and have some sort of backup plan to coach. Many have suggested the pros as a defensive coach. I just can't see that, why, b/c its not his personality style for the pros.

In Ft. Worth he is well known and can be a community leader if he decides to. His beautiful home is here and its value will continue to grow. He is a frugal man, meaning he can do just about anything he wants. Travel and time have no boundaries. He probably would be welcomed into politics if he so desires.

I welcome the idea of him coaching just not TCU. CEO's, Presidents, Managing Directors, Hospital Directors, Ministers of Faith and head coach's are asked to leave all the time, its part of business. No shame should be taken. What I want, is for Gary to step aside and let us celebrate his accomplishments, his name and his family for many, many years.

CountryFrog

SCENE: Early morning. Palatial, yet slightly tousled bedroom, gauzy curtains showing a hazy view looking out upon a football stadium.

An ornate door opens slightly, and a carefully dressed, tuxedo clad arm extends into the room holding a small gong. Another carefully dressed arm, this one holding a small mallet, gently rings the gong...

(BUTLER): "(sotto voce) Excuse me, ladies. (Louder, but not too loud) Sir, your Pumpkin Pancakes await you in the dining hall..."
Bravo sir

Wexahu

Gary is a prideful, ornery, stubborn man with an ego. He is a good man, after all, he has managed to coach one of the most respected college P5 programs in the nation for 20 some odd years.. He can still coach b/c of reputation, knowledge and age. I DO not believe he will leave on his own accord. He will not retire! In his mind 'I can coach today, tomorrow for five more years, at least, maybe longer.' I'm sure he will talk to his agent and have some sort of backup plan to coach. Many have suggested the pros as a defensive coach. I just can't see that, why, b/c its not his personality style for the pros.

In Ft. Worth he is well known and can be a community leader if he decides to. His beautiful home is here and its value will continue to grow. He is a frugal man, meaning he can do just about anything he wants. Travel and time have no boundaries. He probably would be welcomed into politics if he so desires.

I welcome the idea of him coaching just not TCU. CEO's, Presidents, Managing Directors, Hospital Directors, Ministers of Faith and head coach's are asked to leave all the time, its part of business. No shame should be taken. What I want, is for Gary to step aside and let us celebrate his accomplishments, his name and his family for many, many years.

The thought of GP the politician makes me laugh and cringe at the same time.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

He's an introvert, and hates doing the gladhanding thing. The minute he was not doing the Coaching thing, he'd probably scurry off to a big, remote ranch someplace so he wouldn't have to deal with people anymore...