• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

Chongo94

Hell or High Water is the best damn movie I’ve seen in years, hands down. And if you’re from that area or have a history of that area they speak of, they kinda nail the attitudes. That movie should be required watching in my opinion.

talor

While I guess you would technically classify the first one as "action", it definitely isn't a traditional action movie. On that vein, rank these movies:

Sicario
No Country for Old Men
Hell or High Water
Wind River
I had originnally typed action/thriller because I dont know what to call it. Google apparently called it a drama/mystery. So that is what we will say haha.

I liked all of these movies a poopload. I would only say that Hell or High Water would be ranked last. They are all legit and stand on their own merits but I just liked Hell or High Water a little bit less.

Tag was funny as hell.
I saw it Friday. It's stupid at times but pretty darn funny to me and I would recommend it.

ftwfrog

I took the 6 year old to see Solo. What was wrong with it? Action, hot girl, cool story line, twists & turns, good ending. It wasn’t an Oscar winner but it was entertaining and held my attention for 2 hours. I think a lot of Star Dorks will complain no matter what comes out next because Disney bought the franchise.

Tumbleweed

In regards to the Battle of Britain. The movie was shot in Europe over a three month period. Some 15 (+ or-) WW II war birds were the main story line on that film. At one point the individual who was in charge of combat choreography was asked if he would take a percentage of the movie because the producers were running out of money. The 'one man' in charge of combat scenes, was a hard nosed individual who said, No sir, no percentages just cash, I've got to get these planes back to their rightful hangers from Europe and that is going to cost a lot of money. This gentlemen, performed all of the flying along with his son and five other pilots. Within the last five or maybe 6years, those planes were sold by"Invitation Only" to European museums, governments, and very wealthy collectors. ALL of those planes are flyable and maintained. Some of the planes were so rare that only one of two are left in flyable conditions in the world. All planes were sold by firm price, as the owner said, "this is price, take it or lump it." You've got two weeks only to get your plane outa of here or the sale is off! No kidding. Kinda crusty, hard nosed, ornery old gent , hugh. All of these planes were stored in half moon, metal buildings you often see on West Texas cotton farms. As a matter of fact, the owner of all of those planes that appeared in the movie, the main pilot, technical advisory of Battle of Britain, is a...cotton farmer who lives in Rotan, Texas. His cotton farm sits along the highway and has a long landing strip close to the barns. Understand he gave his farm to his son who has thousands of hours in the captain chair and is very well known as an excellent pilot.

This story appeared in one of the small circulation flying magazines.

BTW Hell or High water was shot mostly in New Mexico with only a few scenes in Texas.

And, NoPlaceforOldMen, was mostly shot SW of Marfa and south of Valentine. Very close to the Brite Ranch. Brite Ranch is mostly high desert mountains with large areas of grass land protected by canyons. Not what you normally think when thinking of deep West Texas.

Last edited:

Eight

final scene of hell and high water is really, really strong. also agree with the feel of those towns. periodically drive through some of those areas and it looks the same as in the movie which i really like about it.

no country is strong throughout and has a quirkiness about it that makes it at times even more jarring than inserting any comic relief. i need to go back and re-read the book because there is only so much detail that can be woven in to the movie.

wind river does a great job of giving you a sense of the isolation and desperation for those that live in that type of environment. think renner does a great job in the role.

sicario to me as a story doesn't hold up as well as the other three, but i like the the interactions between blount and del toro as well as the contrast in their characters. the biggest drag to me in sicario was the political undertone.

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
And, NoPlaceCountryforOldMen, was mostly shot SW of Marfa and south of Valentine. Very close to the Brite Ranch. Brite Ranch is mostly high desert mountains with large areas of grass land protected by canyons. Not what you normally think when thinking of deep West Texas.

IIRC No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood were filmed approx. the same time and very close to one another.

Really enjoyed the novel No Country for Old Men by McCarthy and thought the Coen bros film adaptation was on point.

I know this is a movies thread but that and The Road are fairly quick reads, and are both phenomenal novels.

Horned Toad

I thought TAG was really pretty dull. I chuckled a few times but it was far from being worth the price of the tickets. The best thing about the movie was during the credits they showed video of the actually guys who the movie was loosely based on actually playing tag through various periods of their lives. That was funny.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
IIRC No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood were filmed approx. the same time and very close to one another.

Really enjoyed the novel No Country for Old Men by McCarthy and thought the Coen bros film adaptation was on point.

I know this is a movies thread but that and The Road are fairly quick reads, and are both phenomenal novels.
Cormac McCarthy writes seriously good stuff.

Atomic Frawg

The drug kingpin in Sicario, Julio Cedillo, is a FTW native. I used to hang with his sister. It reminded me a lot of The Counselor, which is worth watching for the Ferrari scene alone. Gonna peep Sicario 2 on the strength of the first.

LVH

It's been over 6 months since I saw The Last Jedi and I am still pissed off about it.

Usually when I see a bad movie I get over it in an hour or two. Not this one.

Mean Purple

Anything with John Wayne and "Burton Leon Reynolds, Jr."

Also, Quigley Down Under and, even though they were made for tv (still movie quality), Crossfire Trail and Monte Walsh. It's always good to see an Actor who actually knows good horsemanship.

Chongo94

Not a movie but if y’all haven’t seen it yet, I highly recommend Yellowstone, the new tv series with Kevin Costner. It’s essentially about a ranching patriarch and his family and fights within his family while fighting to maintain control of “his” valley against salivating land developers and a new Native American chief determined to gain back land for the people.

Taylor Sheridan, the guy who directed or wrote or whatever Sicario and Hell or High Water, is partly producing and I believe writing and directing it. Thus, you know it’s good.

I think they even use Costner’s actual house up there to film scenes. Pretty good stuff so far. Amazing scenery of that area. Also some very good eye candy in the cast.

Ron Swanson

Not a movie but if y’all haven’t seen it yet, I highly recommend Yellowstone, the new tv series with Kevin Costner. It’s essentially about a ranching patriarch and his family and fights within his family while fighting to maintain control of “his” valley against salivating land developers and a new Native American chief determined to gain back land for the people.

Taylor Sheridan, the guy who directed or wrote or whatever Sicario and Hell or High Water, is partly producing and I believe writing and directing it. Thus, you know it’s good.

I think they even use Costner’s actual house up there to film scenes. Pretty good stuff so far. Amazing scenery of that area. Also some very good eye candy in the cast.
I’ve seen the first 30 minutes of episode 1 and I can tell I’m gonna like it.

It kind of reminds me of Dallas, only without the ghey soap opera douchey Dallas feel.