• The KillerFrogs

OT - what is the longest you have waited or would wait for BBQ?

pgdaly84

I waited about 3 hours for Franklin. If you plan in advance it’s actually pretty fun. My buddy and I turned it into a tailgate with beer. Was the perfect start to our friend’s bachelor party weekend. It was amazing bbq, and the best brisket I’ve had, but I’ve had comparable bbq for a much shorter wait. Snow’s in Lexington is the best I’ve had, and the wait is much shorter. Tootsie’s pork steaks are out of the world delicious, and the rest of the meats are all incredible.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I waited about 3 hours for Franklin. If you plan in advance it’s actually pretty fun. My buddy and I turned it into a tailgate with beer. Was the perfect start to our friend’s bachelor party weekend. It was amazing bbq, and the best brisket I’ve had, but I’ve had comparable bbq for a much shorter wait. Snow’s in Lexington is the best I’ve had, and the wait is much shorter. Tootsie’s pork steaks are out of the world delicious, and the rest of the meats are all incredible.
Snow’s is #1 in Texas Monthly now I think.

pgdaly84

Snow’s is #1 in Texas Monthly now I think.

Yup. It reclaimed the #1 spot from Franklin. I’ve been to 12 of the Top 50, and they’re all pretty comparable, but I’d say Franklin, Louie Mueller, and Snow’s were in a different tier for me. The three classics in Lockhart are all fantastic too. Man, I’m training for a Muay Thai tournament and on a strict diet, and this thread has me craving some bbq.

TCURiggs

Yup. It reclaimed the #1 spot from Franklin. I’ve been to 12 of the Top 50, and they’re all pretty comparable, but I’d say Franklin, Louie Mueller, and Snow’s were in a different tier for me. The three classics in Lockhart are all fantastic too. Man, I’m training for a Muay Thai tournament and on a strict diet, and this thread has me craving some bbq.

Didn't see that curveball coming. Good luck.

source.gif

pgdaly84

Didn't see that curveball coming. Good luck.

source.gif

Haha! Thanks. Luckily, I’m fighting in the amateur division with head gear and light shin guards, so it’s not quite Blood Sport level. Always been on my bucket list, so figured I’d give it a shot after 6 years of taking classes.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Would love to try Franklin’s but not willing on that kind of wait.

Still want to try Louie Mueller in Taylor and John Mueller in Austin. Also, need to try Luling City Market.

John Mueller doesn't like to pay his taxes, which has caused him some troubles. One of his businesses went to his sister and she renamed it La Barbeque and I've heard good things about it.
This article is from last year and tells of his saga.
https://austin.eater.com/2017/4/21/15383530/john-mueller-black-box-barbecue-georgetown

AroundWorldFrog

I know someone will remember the place I'm talking about. Started probably in the mid- late 80s from a trucking place in the NE Ft. Worth area and was only open on Fridays until they ran out of BBQ originally. They might have expanded their hours in years after that. Around '89 or '90 it would get pretty crowded. You had to show up by 10 am or so to get food. Pretty good food, I think the guy went to a lot of BBQ competitions.

Frog-in-law1995

I know someone will remember the place I'm talking about. Started probably in the mid- late 80s from a trucking place in the NE Ft. Worth area and was only open on Fridays until they ran out of BBQ originally. They might have expanded their hours in years after that. Around '89 or '90 it would get pretty crowded. You had to show up by 10 am or so to get food. Pretty good food, I think the guy went to a lot of BBQ competitions.

I grew up in NE fort worth and graduated from HS in 91. I have no idea what you’re talking about. NE fort worth, not Tarrant county?

Last edited:

Chongo94

My dad went to school with the Heavens Gate guy...

There is no way in hell im waiting three hours for food, no matter how much of an event it may be. I just couldn’t do it.

dawg

Three hours and I’d do it weekly if I lived in Austin. I did the “Franklin Line” about four years ago, and it was totally worth it. Went on a Sunday, got there around 8, and I was maybe 30th in line (still under the awning). Everyone in line was really cool, freely shared beer & snacks with those around them, and stories. Oh, and the ‘Cue was beyond description. Franklin has earned his reputation. Best brisket I’ve ever eaten.