• The KillerFrogs

OT - what is the longest you have waited or would wait for BBQ?

Frog92

I know someone will remember the place I'm talking about. Started probably in the mid- late 80s from a trucking place in the NE Ft. Worth area and was only open on Fridays until they ran out of BBQ originally. They might have expanded their hours in years after that. Around '89 or '90 it would get pretty crowded. You had to show up by 10 am or so to get food. Pretty good food, I think the guy went to a lot of BBQ competitions.
Euless North Main BBQ. Friday staple for me when I worked at American Airlines in the 90s. Have not been there in probably15 years, but did note a few months ago that Mr. Green, the owner, died. So do not know current status. Can confirm good Q.

Frog-in-law1995

Might have been more toward NRHills. The place was kind of a cult secret.

The reason I asked if you meant NE tarrant county instead of NE fort worth was because North Main barbecue in Euless is really good, and only open on weekends. But it’s almost to Dallas county. Sounded to me like you were talking about something much closer, though, so I didn’t bother suggesting it. But then my FB question blew up with responses that it started as Green’s Trucking owner Hubert Green cooking Friday lunch for his employees, and people just kept showing up, so he opened a restaurant. So there you go. Still good, by the way. Ate there about 6 months ago.

Edit: One of the responses noted that Hubert Green died last year. Hope the quality doesn’t fade away.

Last edited:

Peacefrog

Degenerate
The reason I asked if you meant NE tarrant county instead of NE fort worth was because North Main barbecue in Euless is really good, and only open on weekends. But it’s almost to Dallas county. Sounded to me like you were talking about something much closer, though, so I didn’t bother suggesting it. But then my FB question blew up with responses that it started as Green’s Trucking owner Hubert Green cooking Friday lunch for his employees, and people just kept showing up, so he opened a restaurant. So there you go. Still good, by the way. Ate there about 6 months ago.

Edit: One of the responses noted that Hubert Green died last year. Hope the quality doesn’t fade away.

Back in the day it was $10 for all you could eat. Served on paper plates with rows of red and white checked tables. BYOB. Cash only.

They used to also have private Super Bowl parties with free food and plenty of beer in coolers out back near this giant smoker.

Frog-in-law1995

Back in the day it was $10 for all you could eat. Served on paper plates with rows of red and white checked tables. BYOB. Cash only.

They used to also have private Super Bowl parties with free food and plenty of beer in coolers out back near this giant smoker.

My sister lived near there for a while. And I lived fairly close by in Bedford. Used to eat there fairly often in the late 90s. It was really good. When did you work there?

tcudoc

Family Unknowingly Buys, Eats Box of Cereal from Walmart that Expired in 1997

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/59kven/walmart-expired-cereal-21-years-1997-walmart
Reminds me of the time that I was in Kohls with my wife a couple of years ago. In the back of the rack, way behind everything else, I found an old school Members Only jacket. I pulled it out and showed it to her and said, "Did we just travel back in time?" She laughed a genuine laugh. Pretty rare for her to laugh at something I say, so the memory stuck with me.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
My sister lived near there for a while. And I lived fairly close by in Bedford. Used to eat there fairly often in the late 90s. It was really good. When did you work there?
93-96 time range. I didn’t work there regularly, usually just when one of my friends that did work there needed a weekend night off. But we ate and drank out back by the smoker frequently.

By the way - drinking beer and slicing bbq with a sharp knife for hours on end is a bad combination.

tcudoc

By the way - drinking beer and slicing bbq with a sharp knife for hours on end is a bad combination.
e8f614857ee359e2ef62badb2311688031744daa.gif

YA

You are getting your cults mixed up. Heavens Gate was vodka and phenobarbital. Jim Jones was the Kool Aid guy.
To bring this back to food--there is a Heaven's Gate restaurant in FW at 3820 North Main Street. It is a down home food buffet that is actually really good. I have no clue why they named themselves Heavens Gate but the owners are religious. I went there one time on a Sunday and some of the patrons were driving a forklift to the place for lunch. Highly recommend them, Drew's Place or Madea's Down Home Cooking in Everman for that type of food.

cheese83

Three hours and I’d do it weekly if I lived in Austin. I did the “Franklin Line” about four years ago, and it was totally worth it. Went on a Sunday, got there around 8, and I was maybe 30th in line (still under the awning). Everyone in line was really cool, freely shared beer & snacks with those around them, and stories. Oh, and the ‘Cue was beyond description. Franklin has earned his reputation. Best brisket I’ve ever eaten.

3 hours just for BBQ is nuts. There really isn’t that much of a difference IMO between really good BBQ. Sure you can change up the sauces, go dry, etc., but it’s all about cooking time and meat quality with brisket. Maybe I could do it once if I had a cooler of beer and friends with me, but weekly?

Chongo94

3 hours just for BBQ is nuts. There really isn’t that much of a difference IMO between really good BBQ. Sure you can change up the sauces, go dry, etc., but it’s all about cooking time and meat quality with brisket. Maybe I could do it once if I had a cooler of beer and friends with me, but weekly?

Same here. Once, maybe, and it better be the best damn food of all time. No way could I do it weekly.