• The KillerFrogs

Andrew Billings

tcujsauce

Baseball season can't come soon enough

tumblr_m64u3s8CQk1qcr4er.gif

jake102

SIAP, ESPNsider has a story that Billings decided on TCU this morning, but changed his mind today. Anyone have access??

Billings said that he had Baylor as his second option and the Longhorns were third earlier in the day. Now the order is Baylor, TCU and the Longhorns.

But the allure of early playing time kept him close to home.

Get Your Frogs Up

It's just hard for educated people to understand how recruits choose schools. Because honestly, if you were actually evaluating which school has a better chance at putting a DT highly in the NFL draft, you would choose TCU every time Yes, Baylor put Phil Taylor in the league, but TCU has the Chuckster and Pierson wrecking shop and will be nice draft picks. Phil Taylor represents an anomaly for Baylor on defense, not the rule. You look at TCU defense as a whole and Hughes 1st rounder, DW 2nd rounder and highest paid LB in the NFL, Tank Carder, etc etc etc. There's a bunch of guys, and a lot more on their way to the league.

Most humans who think logically and deeply would evaluate #1 and #2 above and come to the conclusion that TCU is by far the better decision based on those factors. But, as often the case with recruits and their families, they don't exactly make the most logical decisions. Or, as may be the case here, #3 is what ended up being most important.

And it's arguable that Baylor really did anything to improve Taylor all that much for the NFL. They took a 1st round talent from PSU and in 3 years turned him into a 2nd team Big 12 player behind an UDFA and a 4th rounder. He had about as many TFL in 12 games as a Freshman and Sophomore at PSU than he did in 13 games his Senior year at Baylor.

TCURiggs

Billings said that he had Baylor as his second option and the Longhorns were third earlier in the day. Now the order is Baylor, TCU and the Longhorns.

But the allure of early playing time kept him close to home.

If early playing time is what kept him in Waco, what the hell did Bennett tell him that he didn't want to hear? So confusing.

Baseball season can't come soon enough
Didn't BU win the Big 12 in baseball? It's rare for a private school not ND or USC to be good at everything, all sports, at the same time, especially the big three (baseball, football, and basketball). Usually that only happens at flagship public universities... common sense indicators saying BU is up to no good. Waco? Private school. Small alumni base. Usually doesnt get the best recruits in all sports at the same time and maintain.

joejordan

You give my Clark Hall intramural team in 1986 Russell Wilson (Hell give me Flip Wilson) and I guarantee we would have won the Championship. I would even take Pete Wilson. Or Pete Townsend.

Guaranteed!

DickBumpastache

And it's arguable that Baylor really did anything to improve Taylor all that much for the NFL. They took a 1st round talent from PSU and in 3 years turned him into a 2nd team Big 12 player behind an UDFA and a 4th rounder. He had about as many TFL in 12 games as a Freshman and Sophomore at PSU than he did in 13 games his Senior year at Baylor.

That's really silly. Phil Taylor had no shot of being drafted after his time at PSU. The guy was nearly 400 pounds when he left Penn State and was completely out of playing shape. Going to Baylor saved his career, and it obviously prepared him well for the NFL since he started every game as a rookie.

Very odd to blame the second school for the kid's screw ups at the first school. Grasping at straws isn't even the right term...this seems more desperate.

Today, I learned why other schools call us Purple Aggie...

Everything's gonna be ok guys! Hang in there!

I think there is room to complain moments after a decision doesn't go your teams way. You can never complain? If it lasts the day after maybe then you can call us purple Aggies. This was disappointing especially since it seems every time a kid decides analysts say they are going to end up a Frog, they get the fan base excited, and then the kid goes elsewhere. Seems like it happens all the time.

Ron Swanson

I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that "which school has a better chance of getting me drafted" had about zero influence on why Andrew Billings chose Baylor over TCU.

That had [Richard] to do with it