• The KillerFrogs

Andrew Billings

For you Baylor visitors...your fans have been accusing Patterson of being a cheater, liar, scumbag and steroid pusher for a decade now. There is literally a thread on baylorfans every week expressing contempt for our coach. Sometimes more.

So please spare us your self-righteousness and sanctimony.

Personally, I think the attacks on Briles are despicable. But I think it's fair to point out that your fans have done more than their share to stoke the flames.

cdsfrog

Say what you want about Phil Bennett, but the guy can recruit. There would have not been guys at TCU like Victor Payne, Greg Walls, Shawn Worthen, Shannon B., and others without him signing off on them as a DC while he was here. Myself included. He was only here for a year and put a heck of a Def together. Did the same at AM and K State. He can recruit. I know that personally. He changed my mind.

Sure can, thankfully he can't coach for [Craig James]

Get Your Frogs Up

For you Baylor visitors...your fans have been accusing Patterson of being a cheater, liar, scumbag and steroid pusher for a decade now. There is literally a thread on baylorfans every week expressing contempt for our coach. Sometimes more.

So please spare us your self-righteousness and sanctimony.

Personally, I think the attacks on Briles are despicable. But I think it's fair to point out that your fans have done more than their share to stoke the flames.

As someone who made some of those I agree with you that they are probably unnecessary, especially in this context. However, while I'm not familiar with the Baylor comments because I don't read other boards, I'll say one caveat is that Briles has worked in Texas football for as long as I've been alive and some people around here have had occasion to work with or around him prior to his time at BU, whereas Patterson's relation to Texas football is pretty much just TCU, so I would bet most Baylor fans have never met the guy and their comments are second hand and/or influenced by the fact that they hate TCU.

Ron Swanson

As someone who made some of those I agree with you that they are probably unnecessary, especially in this context. However, while I'm not familiar with the Baylor comments because I don't read other boards, I'll say one caveat is that Briles has worked in Texas football for as long as I've been alive and some people around here have had occasion to work with or around him prior to his time at BU, whereas Patterson's relation to Texas football is pretty much just TCU, so I would bet most Baylor fans have never met the guy and their comments are second hand and/or influenced by the fact that they hate TCU.

Exactly

People see Patterson yelling and screaming on the sidelines, so they assume he's a Bill Maher. Baylor fans hate us and it's pretty easy to go ahead and make the leap that our coach is an a-hole

On the other hand, I have heard from a TON of people who have personally interacted with Briles throughout the years that he's a slimeball of a human being.

TX_Krötenechse

I get that TCU and Texas are disappointed that Billings chose Baylor. I would have been disappointed had he not. That's the way of the recruiting world though. It's not often that the Bears win a recruiting battle, especially this late into recruiting season. But I respect the kid for the way he handled himself. I did before he made his choice. His HS coach at Waco was a mouthpiece for the Horns, telling their reporters that he was pretty much a lock for UT. More than once Billings had to walk those statements back. He didn't flip flop like so many do. He was thoughtful in the process and looked beyond the logo. I believe he would have been thrilled to play at any of the three schools. All along it seemed nobody was a clear cut favorite. Maybe he really did choose Baylor because he could minor in Aviation. I believe baylor needed him more than TCU and UT. Baylor, as pointed out many times in the thread, needs defensive help. Maybe that played a role. Who knows? But in the end, it takes more than one kid to make a team. TCU got some kids Baylor wanted and visa versa. The Frogs are already young and loaded with talent, and have another solid recruiting class. TCU should be in the hunt for a conference title the next few years with the athletes already in place. You can't take recruiting personally, though it can be a rollercoaster following it. These are just 17 and -8 year old kids trying to make the biggest decision in their young lives up to this point. I am glad to see UT having to fight for recruits now, and even losing some of those battles to the likes of TCU and BU. The Big 12 should be fun to watch the next few years with no clear favorite.

I don't know what they teach at Baylor, but around here we like to use paragraphs.

Sammy11

Exactly

People see Patterson yelling and screaming on the sidelines, so they assume he's a Bill Maher. Baylor fans hate us and it's pretty easy to go ahead and make the leap that our coach is an a-hole

On the other hand, I have heard from a TON of people who have personally interacted with Briles throughout the years that he's a slimeball of a human being.

1- Patterson does get a bad rap among Baylor fans

2- The only places I hear of Briles being a slimeball is on killerfrogs and if it were true he wouldn't be nearly as liked or respected by HS coaches as he seems to be.

Frankly I think both fanbases have allowed bias to cloud their perception of the opposing coach.

cdsfrog

2- The only places I hear of Briles being a slimeball is on killerfrogs and if it were true he wouldn't be nearly as liked or respected by HS coaches as he seems to be.

Frankly I think both fanbases have allowed bias to cloud their perception of the opposing coach.

high-school coaches have said otherwise. (could be a bs rumor but that's where I had seen prior to killerfrogs) Pretty sure Patterson doesn't over-promise the world considering our close rate.

That being said a lot of Baylor's recruiting success has nothing to do with Brile's tactics. Winning 5 of 6, crushing K State and UCLA with lots of recent draft picks let a lone the Heisman helps :D That and offensively Baylor is extremely attractive to recruits if you look at the last 2 years.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog

Lots of respect for Briles and Baylor players in general. Jackets and dress pants on the bus to the stadium games days, players are always yes sir, no sir, etc. They have fun but bring it together.

cdsfrog

Like who?

Rumor on houston board I have seen before. Personally it could be bogus. The vast majority of their recruiting success comes from their success on the field.

However any comments about Patterson from baylorfans have always stemmed from hatred. Plenty of rationale posters on their board too.

JimSwinkLives!

Fair enough. I just haven't ever heard or seen anything factual to back up that statement.

I''m not going to air it publicly on a message board, but I've known Briles since 1990 as a student-athlete, high school coach, and collegiate athletics administrator. And I have nothing positive to say about the man personally . However, he does know Xs and Os. I''l give him that.