• The KillerFrogs

Andrew Billings

Get Your Frogs Up

If early playing time is what kept him in Waco, what the hell did Bennett tell him that he didn't want to hear? So confusing.

Probably something along the lines of, "I have no clue what the hell I'm doing on the football field, but look at these shiny gold helmets. Do you love me? Do you love me? You think you could ever love me? How does it work? Tell me how it works. You know me, hmmm? What about the boat times? Oh, you know me. You've seen my downstairs mix-up. What did it mean to you to see that? Did it mean you love me? Could you learn to love me? You do love me. You do love me. You love me and you've seen me and you know me. Ya ain't got the funk. You're all rigid. Hmm? You're like a breadstick. You got no rhythm. Well maybe I could help you. I got the funk. I got the funk right here in this box."

That's about how I imagine all of Bennett's conversations going.

tcujsauce

Probably something along the lines of, "I have no clue what the hell I'm doing on the football field, but look at these shiny gold helmets. Do you love me? Do you love me? You think you could ever love me? How does it work? Tell me how it works. You know me, hmmm? What about the boat times? Oh, you know me. You've seen my downstairs mix-up. What did it mean to you to see that? Did it mean you love me? Could you learn to love me? You do love me. You do love me. You love me and you've seen me and you know me. Ya ain't got the funk. You're all rigid. Hmm? You're like a breadstick. You got no rhythm. Well maybe I could help you. I go the funk. I got the funk right here in this box."

hahahah all this time Phil Bennett = Old Gregg and I had no idea.

frogs9497

The thing that I'll never get is you think your priorities are the same as the kid's. Your priority is you want a good team to root for. The kids priorities are multi-layered and more complex than you could ever imagine. He is the one who actually has to think about the decision; you are the one not putting any thought at all into it.

Such as which uniform he thinks is the coolest?

I get your point, but I do wonder how much thought some of these kids put into their decision.

Ron Swanson

BUT, what was their one big weakness that season? QB.

Wisconsin may not have had an All-American at QB, but that kid was very good in the Rose Bowl, by no means some sort of weakness. Extremely accurate, had a bigger arm than I thought he would, and made good decisions.

Whether or not Wilson would've made a difference in the outcome, yeah maybe, but we don't know

tcujsauce

Wisconsin may not have had an All-American at QB, but that kid was very good in the Rose Bowl, by no means some sort of weakness. Extremely accurate, had a bigger arm than I thought he would, and made good decisions.

Whether or not Wilson would've made a difference in the outcome, yeah maybe, but we don't know

Clearly, and we will never know. Just my opinion.

Get Your Frogs Up

That's really silly. Phil Taylor had no shot of being drafted after his time at PSU. The guy was nearly 400 pounds when he left Penn State and was completely out of playing shape. Going to Baylor saved his career, and it obviously prepared him well for the NFL since he started every game as a rookie.

Very odd to blame the second school for the kid's screw ups at the first school. Grasping at straws isn't even the right term...this seems more desperate.

Not blaming anyone for anything (weird comment), just saying in three years they didn't get the most out of his talent while on the field for their football team. Even most Baylor fans said as much. Taylor's sophomore year at PSU he played at 337 lbs. He gained weight from not playing football or working out because Paterno suspended him for fighting and he couldn't even use their workout facilities. When he was actually on the field and not suspended or injured Taylor was a very good player. Kudos to Baylor for giving him a second chance and allowing him to get in shape so he had a shot at the NFL, but they didn't exactly turn the kid into a dominant college DT - he obviously had that ability as you've pointed out.

EDIT: And desperate for what exactly? I have no qualms with Baylor as a university, but I do think Art Briles suffers from excessive moral turpitude.

cdsfrog

He's the #3 QB for the 49ers too

72.9% competition rate, 16 TD to 6 INT with a rating of 165.9. Yeah...he was a pretty darn good college QB.

TCURiggs

Probably something along the lines of, "I have no clue what the hell I'm doing on the football field, but look at these shiny gold helmets. Do you love me? Do you love me? You think you could ever love me? How does it work? Tell me how it works. You know me, hmmm? What about the boat times? Oh, you know me. You've seen my downstairs mix-up. What did it mean to you to see that? Did it mean you love me? Could you learn to love me? You do love me. You do love me. You love me and you've seen me and you know me. Ya ain't got the funk. You're all rigid. Hmm? You're like a breadstick. You got no rhythm. Well maybe I could help you. I got the funk. I got the funk right here in this box."

Haha

My Buddy Steve

I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that "which school has a better chance of getting me drafted" had about zero influence on why Andrew Billings chose Baylor over TCU.

That had [Richard] to do with it
Yep. I listened to the broadcast, and he was asked by mom to stay home. That's it. It's simple here people.

ImwithBU

And it's arguable that Baylor really did anything to improve Taylor all that much for the NFL. They took a 1st round talent from PSU and in 3 years turned him into a 2nd team Big 12 player behind an UDFA and a 4th rounder. He had about as many TFL in 12 games as a Freshman and Sophomore at PSU than he did in 13 games his Senior year at Baylor.

I have much respect for TCU as you guys have done a lot with "less talent." But lets get the facts straight Phil Taylor was a 1st round pick, #21 to be exact. As for Briles being a cheat, come on you can do better than that. We have had maybe 10 high regarded recruits since Briles has been at Baylor. RG3 was a 4* but most didnt want him at QB. Kendal Wright another 1st rounder was considered a 3*. Jason Smith 2*, 1st rounder. Terrance Williams a 2* should be a 1st rounder. Terrance Ganaway 2*, Josh Gordon 3*.... the list could go on. Point is Briles has done a lot with "less talent." Pretty sure that is what TCU has done, its called coaching, not recruiting. Just getting some higher rated players for a change gives you a head start instead of waiting 2 -3 yrs for a player to develop, see your on Fields for proof.

BUGrad95

I get that TCU and Texas are disappointed that Billings chose Baylor. I would have been disappointed had he not. That's the way of the recruiting world though. It's not often that the Bears win a recruiting battle, especially this late into recruiting season. But I respect the kid for the way he handled himself. I did before he made his choice. His HS coach at Waco was a mouthpiece for the Horns, telling their reporters that he was pretty much a lock for UT. More than once Billings had to walk those statements back. He didn't flip flop like so many do. He was thoughtful in the process and looked beyond the logo. I believe he would have been thrilled to play at any of the three schools. All along it seemed nobody was a clear cut favorite. Maybe he really did choose Baylor because he could minor in Aviation. I believe baylor needed him more than TCU and UT. Baylor, as pointed out many times in the thread, needs defensive help. Maybe that played a role. Who knows? But in the end, it takes more than one kid to make a team. TCU got some kids Baylor wanted and visa versa. The Frogs are already young and loaded with talent, and have another solid recruiting class. TCU should be in the hunt for a conference title the next few years with the athletes already in place. You can't take recruiting personally, though it can be a rollercoaster following it. These are just 17 and -8 year old kids trying to make the biggest decision in their young lives up to this point. I am glad to see UT having to fight for recruits now, and even losing some of those battles to the likes of TCU and BU. The Big 12 should be fun to watch the next few years with no clear favorite.

IamFroglash88

It's like Billings opened his Christmas present and got underwear. He doesn't sound very excited. Maybe he's about to open the present he really wants.

I did it

Say what you want about Phil Bennett, but the guy can recruit. There would have not been guys at TCU like Victor Payne, Greg Walls, Shawn Worthen, Shannon B., and others without him signing off on them as a DC while he was here. Myself included. He was only here for a year and put a heck of a Def together. Did the same at AM and K State. He can recruit. I know that personally. He changed my mind.

Get Your Frogs Up

I have much respect for TCU as you guys have done a lot with "less talent." But lets get the facts straight Phil Taylor was a 1st round pick, #21 to be exact. As for Briles being a cheat, come on you can do better than that. We have had maybe 10 high regarded recruits since Briles has been at Baylor. RG3 was a 4* but most didnt want him at QB. Kendal Wright another 1st rounder was considered a 3*. Jason Smith 2*, 1st rounder. Terrance Williams a 2* should be a 1st rounder. Terrance Ganaway 2*, Josh Gordon 3*.... the list could go on. Point is Briles has done a lot with "less talent." Pretty sure that is what TCU has done, its called coaching, not recruiting. Just getting some higher rated players for a change gives you a head start instead of waiting 2 -3 yrs for a player to develop, see your on Fields for proof.

I didn't say he wasn't a first round pick or that he didn't have first round talent, just that Norwood & Co. didn't maximize the potential and production out of the guy. Norwood wasn't exactly a good DC for y'all and it's not like BU was developing a bunch of fantastic defensive prospects under his tenure. Heck, everyone you just referenced is an offensive player. Bennett is doing a better job with the defense for sure.

I can't remember if I ever used the word "cheat", but I did make a couple comments, and they aren't necessarily recruiting related. I don't pay enough attention to recruiting to know what's going on behind the scenes and am not going to claim to. I am familiar with him going back to the mid to late 90s though.

Get Your Frogs Up

Say what you want about Phil Bennett, but the guy can recruit. There would have not been guys at TCU like Victor Payne, Greg Walls, Shawn Worthen, Shannon B., and others without him signing off on them as a DC while he was here. Myself included. He was only here for a year and put a heck of a Def together. Did the same at AM and K State. He can recruit. I know that personally. He changed my mind.

I don't know if you read that whole post, but it was just meant to be a joke.