• The KillerFrogs

Zona to Big 12 heating up

NORMLFROG

I am all for getting to 16 but wish we had not been so anxious in grabbing Cincy, UCF and Houston, nothing against those schools but better options are now emerging and I know its 20-20 hindsight. Having said that I want nothing to do with any California schools as that state has already infected and partially ruined Texas.
Inviting those schools when Bowlsby did provided much needed stability when the conference desperately needed it. It also set up BY with the opportunity to be proactive on the TV side….which bring us to where we are now.

I will not dump on UC, BYU, UCF nor UH. I’m glad they’re here.

Fight me.

NF

froginmn

The real rivalries for ND is Stanford and USC.
Michigan hasn’t played ND since 2019 and isn’t scheduled again until 2033
Mich St hasn’t played ND since 2017 and isn’t scheduled again until 2026
Stanford has played ND every year since 1988, and USC every year for the last 100.

If ND had not been indy and had been playing in a conference other than the B10,
those teams would rarely appear on their non-conference schedules.

The only group trying to coerce ND is NBC. They are low-balling ND right now, as they are also a major player in the B1G media deal. If they can get ND to the B1G they won’t have to pay near as much money (it splits 3 ways) and they’ll still get the ND games because they already have the production team in place.
Right, but Notre Dame isn't truly indy. They have played an ACC schedule and added tougher teams to non con (UGA, tOSU, Wisconsin, Michigan along with USC and Stanford) to make themselves worthy of playoff consideration.

Why wouldn't they be able to continue doing this by playing Stanford and USC non-con after those two switch conferences?

Edit: Stanford isn't on their non-con in 25 or 26 right now.

Casey T

Believe it or not it doesn't matter if you are good or not if people watch you. Tons of Aggies tune in to games to watch them lose all the time! Plus joining the SEC helped their English department. Now the students know 5 letters.
Completely agree with this. The thing is, Stanford does not have a ton of ppl who tune in to watch them. Their football tv numbers are not impressive

fanatical frog

Inviting those schools when Bowlsby did provided much needed stability when the conference desperately needed it. It also set up BY with the opportunity to be proactive on the TV side….which bring us to where we are now.

Fight me.

NF
Me too. No fight from here.

Endless Purple

Completely agree with this. The thing is, Stanford does not have a ton of ppl who tune in to watch them. Their football tv numbers are not impressive
Curious, but based on what source?

According to this one, Stanford did quite well over the 8 year period analyzed. 3rd in the PAC.

Skobuffs85

You mean other than smu, sds, unlv, Fresno....
Yeah, I guess. But what is the P12 going to get every year if it stays at 9 and adds 3 of those if it’s 20 like reported? Oregon and Washington want what? 32? 35 a year? So knock off 24-30 million off the total and those other 3 are looking at splitting 36 million? They make 8 now and have to pay 20-30 million to leave the MWC?

12*20 a year = 240 million.
20/9 remaining teams = 180
unequal 24 million share = 204 million.

240-204 = 36 million.

I suppose some of the remaining 9 would be willing to chip in to keep it together but who knows. I can’t imagine they want to bend over for Oregon and Washington but may not have a choice.

82 Frog Fever

Right, but Notre Dame isn't truly indy. They have played an ACC schedule and added tougher teams to non con (UGA, tOSU, Wisconsin, Michigan along with USC and Stanford) to make themselves worthy of playoff consideration.

Why wouldn't they be able to continue doing this by playing Stanford and USC non-con after those two switch conferences?

Edit: Stanford isn't on their non-con in 25 or 26 right now.
I think I see what you mean.
I guess ND could continue to play where they are, which imo, is a mediocre ACC SOS that is subsidized by a tougher OOC schedule for CFP rankings. And they could continue to play USC, Stanford, whoever non-conference. However, last I saw, they are asking $65—$70m and NBC is offering $45-$50m. They‘re kind of far apart with no movement in a couple weeks.

If ND moved to the B10, they would already have the appropriate SOS, and could schedule group teams for OOC to provide some slack in the schedule, and make a whole lot more money.

B10 payouts are planned to be $73m in ‘24 and $100m by 2030.
If ND doesn’t move soon, Indiana University will be making nearly double what ND makes.

I know the schedule hasn’t filled in yet, possibly because neither ND or Stanford has a media deal (no clue), but there is a placeholder. Stanford has only scheduled 2 ooc games & ND has only scheduled 5 game dates.

Eight

Fight me.

NF

all for dumping on uh and byu, but also all for acknowledging that without adding those 4, the b12 doesn't get that contract, and wo that contract we aren't having this discussion

Spike

We played them there in 2007 and they were actually bragging about no TV for the game. Was supposed to be some kind of special occasion. Probably the last time I've listened to our excellent radio crew in years. Never understood that logic.

Spike

What is a “travel partner?” They sharing bus fare or something?
Don't know all the details but I remember the term getting thrown around a lot back in the pre-big 12 days. Related more to the non-revenue sports. We had a much smaller budget then plus we were really far away from most of our conference mates. I think we partnered w/UH back in the C-USA days but don't hold me to that.