• The KillerFrogs

Zona to Big 12 heating up

82 Frog Fever

I do believe this move will happen, and I'm inclined to think the news will break this week.

Swaim claiming it's "a done deal" makes me feel less confident that it is. I'll believe it from Scheer or Brett McMurphy, not this talking hairy butt-hole.
Me too, except so far, no Az. BoR meeting has been scheduled.

Limey Frog

Me too, except so far, no Az. BoR meeting has been scheduled.
They don't necessarily need one. I suppose it's possible that Robbins has standing authorization to make the call and the BoR meeting would be a formality thereafter. I have no idea, but the institutional dynamics will differ between schools/systems. He may have been told informally "you can decide to move to a certain conference if at least one institution leaves the Pac 12," or something like that. That seems possible. Certainly moves do sometimes happen quickly in situations like this, it's not always months of endless BoR sessions like CU had; they clearly preferred to stay and wanted to parse out every "update" and continually reassess the landscape. The landscape should be pretty clear surveyed from Tuscon right now. How many meetings should you need? I would think half a dozen text messages might do the job.

82 Frog Fever

Do we stop at 14?
No, 16 is the real number if the mix is right.
14 is an urgency figure for the PAC.
We need 3 out 4 from UA, Wash, Ore, or UU to go to 16.

The B1G has also re-entered discussions with Wash, Ore, Stanford, & Cal, as they are concerned this may be their best/only opportunity to get travel partners for USC /UCLA. Most discussion is with Wash & Stanford.

The Bad Guy

No, 16 is the real number if the mix is right.
14 is an urgency figure for the PAC.
We need 3 out 4 from UA, Wash, Ore, or UU to go to 16.

The B1G has also re-entered discussions with Wash, Ore, Stanford, & Cal, as they are concerned this may be their best/only opportunity to get travel partners for USC /UCLA. Most discussion is with Wash & Stanford.
You think the B1G rather have Stanford over Oregon? I can see that from an academic view but that’s about it.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
AZ leaving really rips the rug out from under ORE. However much they hate it, the PAC is coughing up blood and won't last past Tuesday. The B1G isn't taking them, as they are transfixed by the possibility of ND joining. ORE has no options other than the B12.

That leaves 2 more spots. UU? WSH? I couldn't care less about Stanford or Cal, but my thought is that the selections will be strongly influenced by who the Networks want. After all, they're the ones paying the bills...

Limey Frog

Brett McMurphy said that the Big 12 has the contractual clause with ESPN for pro-rata increases up to 16 members (which is about 65% of our money) and a verbal agreement with Fox for an increase to the other 35% up to 14 members. If that's accurate, I'm sure the pitch to Arizona right now is "we can only guarantee full payouts to the next school that moves, after that Fox will evaluate each applicant and say yes or no". If you're Arizona, you need to move now because if no. 15 & 16 are Oregon and Washington Fox will pay; if no. 14 is Oregon you're going to be begging for a 65% payout and a seat on the lifeboat.

82 Frog Fever

You think the B1G rather have Stanford over Oregon? I can see that from an academic view but that’s about it.
I know the B1G is interested in all 4 schools, and I have no clue on their pecking order.

But I can think of reasons why:
- The B1G already has the 2 biggest prizes on the West coast and they are principally looking for travel partners, not just expansion for stability & stength.
Stanford is a far better travel partner for USC/UCLA. Oregon & Wash are 900 and 1100 miles from LA, so neither alleviates USC/UCLA’s difficult travel schedules.
-Stanford is the #1 research university in the world & the B1G is 94% AAU. That means nothing to the B12, but it is extremely important to the B1G
-Stanford has a 34 year rivalry with ND.
-I also believe USC/UCLA would rather thump Stanford than take a big chance playing Oregon where the loser misses the CFP.

Last edited:

fanatical frog

AZ leaving really rips the rug out from under ORE. However much they hate it, the PAC is coughing up blood and won't last past Tuesday. The B1G isn't taking them, as they are transfixed by the possibility of ND joining. ORE has no options other than the B12.

That leaves 2 more spots. UU? WSH? I couldn't care less about Stanford or Cal, but my thought is that the selections will be strongly influenced by who the Networks want. After all, they're the ones paying the bills..This is what I believe and have heard/read elsewhere.

The Bad Guy

I know the B1G is interested in all 4 schools, and I have no clue on their pecking order.

- The B1G already has the 2 biggest prizes on the West coast and they are principally looking for travel partners, not just expansion for stability & stength.
Stanford is a far better travel partner for USC/UCLA. Oregon & Wash are 900 and 1100 miles from LA, so neither alleviates USC/UCLA’s difficult travel schedules.
-Stanford is the #1 research university in the world & the B1G is 94% AAU. That means nothing to the B12, but it is extremely important to the B1G
-I also believe USC/UCLA would rather thump Stanford than take a big chance playing Oregon where the loser misses the CFP.
Solid points, I didn’t think of the travel point with Stanford. I still have to think Notre Dame falls into the B1G as well.

fanatical frog

I read yesterday, fwiw, the LA schools told the b1g they don't want more pac schools.... because travel to the PNW is a push compare to travel to the midwest.

JogginFrog

One other reason: Bay Area likely has 10X more Big 10 alumni eager to see their alma mater come to town than in the entire state of Oregon.

82 Frog Fever

Brett McMurphy said that the Big 12 has the contractual clause with ESPN for pro-rata increases up to 16 members (which is about 65% of our money) and a verbal agreement with Fox for an increase to the other 35% up to 14 members. If that's accurate, I'm sure the pitch to Arizona right now is "we can only guarantee full payouts to the next school that moves, after that Fox will evaluate each applicant and say yes or no". If you're Arizona, you need to move now because if no. 15 & 16 are Oregon and Washington Fox will pay; if no. 14 is Oregon you're going to be begging for a 65% payout and a seat on the lifeboat.
They have a prorata with ESPN for 4 PAC teams and that gets us to 16.
FOX reviews each possibility and decides whether or not to help out, and I believe their answer would be yes for any 3 of Oregon, Wash, UA, or UU.
Those are the most valuable teams in that order.

I have no idea what FOX‘s reply on CU was.

82 Frog Fever

Solid points, I didn’t think of the travel point with Stanford. I still have to think Notre Dame falls into the B1G as well.
Totally. Landing ND is the #1 priority, which is why Penn St. & Mich are so far a no on expansion.
ND is having very difficult discussions with NBC asking for approx. $65m

The B1G really needs to separate this and try to do both.