• The KillerFrogs

Zona to Big 12 heating up

McFroggin

You may be right. They are negotiating with the PAC on that very thing right now.

I posted this elsewhere, but I know it’s happening. Some of the schools are pissed, but there is nothing they can do but surrender.
Aren’t you glad you got the hell out of this:

Over the last few days O & W has been negotiating with both the B12 and Pac9
O&W now has great leverage over the other PAC teams with the B12 on the scene.
- They are considering staying in the PAC and becoming the OU/Texas of the PAC
- They stay in the PAC, keep the other teams together, add a few teams (SMU etc.) to get back to 10/12, and get a $20m media deal.
- They retain P5 status, as no one would leave O, W, & UU out of that club.
- As the price for their staying they will negotiate (dictate) all the other 8-10 members to kick 10% to O & W
That’s $8-$10m each to O & W
- In addition they dictate that all CFP and bowl money is not distributed to the conference, but directly
to the teams that actually play in the games. That amount is still tbd, but likely $6-$8m
- This is important, because staying in the PAC, O & W can nearly guarantee a 9-3 or 10-2 season as worst case. That puts them in the top 12 CFP nearly every year.
-Total money to O & W would be $34m-$38m, and they can make sure the GOR is only 3-5 years, and they would be the Dictators of the Conference.

Even if the other PAC schools agreed, O and W would likely make more in the Big12.

Except Utah and ASU and UA would then likely leave. That essentially leaves O and W playing an old MWC schedule. They likely will be biased against and miss the CFP.

82 Frog Fever

Even if the other PAC schools agreed, O and W would likely make more in the Big12.

Except Utah and ASU and UA would then likely leave. That essentially leaves O and W playing an old MWC schedule. They likely will be biased against and miss the CFP.
Yes, but they can control the GOR length.
If they make it 3 years, they can have two media negotiating windows inside the B12’s next 2031 window.
They’ll also be able to work the B10 angle every 3 years, and they can also shape the exit fee in terms of amount and time to pay.
They are all about control and getting into the B1G.

jack the frog

Yes, but they can control the GOR length.
If they make it 3 years, they can have two media negotiating windows inside the B12’s next 2031 window.
They’ll also be able to work the B10 angle every 3 years, and they can also shape the exit fee in terms of amount and time to pay.
They are all about control and getting into the B1G.

You might think that UU, UA and ASU would become softer targets if Oregon and Wash are trying to suck the oxygen out of the room.

Frozen Frog

The keys to Notre Dame staying Independent have been stated multiple times by Notre Dame. They want their scheduling autonomy (traditional rivals), a lucrative tv deal, and access to the playoff. The Big Ten adding traditional rivals and hamstringing their scheduling autonomy will affect the TV revenue. Also with the playoff expansion if Notre Dame isn’t eligible to host a playoff game. I think this what the Big Ten is trying to do with the golden dumbers.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
You might think that UU, UA and ASU would become softer targets if Oregon and Wash are trying to suck the oxygen out of the room.

That money would come from reduced rights fees from the new additions.
If the average rights fee for 10 teams is $20MM and you pay the top two $30MM, that leaves about $17.5MM for the other eight. But if you reduce the new teams' payout to $10MM, they get $20MM
However, if you shorten the GOR, those potential new members get screwed because all they get is a reduced payout and potential chaos in three years. They also may have hefty exit fees such that it may not work to join.

There's a lot of moving parts and schools with varying agendas, but one thing in common - they all want more money.

froginaustin

They might get a Pub...

The Dog & Duck in Austin used to have St. Patrick's Day observances that were the best I've ever been to, including in Chicago (haven't attended in NY or Boston, though). It's former location is now a downtown Austin high rise. What a waste.

ED: Apologies for the diversion. Now back to whatever this thread is about.

froginmn

The keys to Notre Dame staying Independent have been stated multiple times by Notre Dame. They want their scheduling autonomy (traditional rivals), a lucrative tv deal, and access to the playoff. The Big Ten adding traditional rivals and hamstringing their scheduling autonomy will affect the TV revenue. Also with the playoff expansion if Notre Dame isn’t eligible to host a playoff game. I think this what the Big Ten is trying to do with the golden dumbers.
At least you stopped calling them Notre Lame. That was cringeworthy. Golden dumbers is just as bad though...

82 Frog Fever

I don’t understand this sentence,”with the playoff expansion if Notre Dame isn’t eligible to host a playoff game”

This ND deal is interesting.
They are negotiating with NBC and asking for $65m. NBC completely balked at that figure and said no chance.
Well NBC is also a huge player in the B10 media deal.
IDK, if this is true, but It looks like NBC may be steering ND to the B1G by low balling the offer.

fanatical frog

I don’t understand this sentence,”with the playoff expansion if Notre Dame isn’t eligible to host a playoff game”

This ND deal is interesting.
They are negotiating with NBC and asking for $65m. NBC completely balked at that figure and said no chance.
Well NBC is also a huge player in the B10 media deal.
IDK, if this is true, but It looks like NBC may be steering ND to the B1G by low balling the offer.

Wow. The current intrigue around cfb is mind numbing.....but entertaining.

82 Frog Fever

Wait. I'm confused. At first you were saying that Notre Dame would really like to keep playing Stanford but now you're saying that would only be the case as a conference opponent because they would probably be too scared to play them in the non-conference?

And this is the thinking that you believe the Big Ten is putting into their alleged wooing of both Stanford and Notre Dame?
Wow, these are not difficult concepts. Were you bad at connect the dots as a child?
Failing to understand that adding P5 teams to your non-conference schedule increases schedule difficulty and the odds of making a CFP is weird for a CFB fan.

It is a huge advantage to Notre Dame to be able to put USC/Stanford on a conference schedule and place group & and FCS teams in their non-conference schedule. It drops their schedule difficulty by about 15%.

If you can’t understand it’s all about creating the easiest path to get to the CFP; then you need to catch up with the group. Most people get that.

froginmn

Wow, these are not difficult concepts. Were you bad at connect the dots as a child?
Failing to understand that adding P5 teams to your non-conference schedule increases schedule difficulty and the odds of making a CFP is weird for a CFB fan.

It is a huge advantage to Notre Dame to be able to put USC/Stanford on a conference schedule and place group & and FCS teams in their non-conference schedule. It drops their schedule difficulty by about 15%.

If you can’t understand it’s all about creating the easiest path to get to the CFP; then you need to catch up with the group. Most people get that.
Doesn't that assume, though, that schools that have been playing ND in non-con (like USC, UM, Stanford, and MSU) will suddenly conspire to drop them from their non-con schedules to force them to join the B1G?

They could certainly try that but it would seem to be a good way to never get UND...

82 Frog Fever

Doesn't that assume, though, that schools that have been playing ND in non-con (like USC, UM, Stanford, and MSU) will suddenly conspire to drop them from their non-con schedules to force them to join the B1G?

They could certainly try that but it would seem to be a good way to never get UND...
The real rivalries for ND is Stanford and USC.
Michigan hasn’t played ND since 2019 and isn’t scheduled again until 2033
Mich St hasn’t played ND since 2017 and isn’t scheduled again until 2026
Stanford has played ND every year since 1988, and USC every year for the last 100.

If ND had not been indy and had been playing in a conference other than the B10,
those teams would rarely appear on their non-conference schedules.

The only group trying to coerce ND is NBC. They are low-balling ND right now, as they are also a major player in the B1G media deal. If they can get ND to the B1G they won’t have to pay near as much money (it splits 3 ways) and they’ll still get the ND games because they already have the production team in place.

Endless Purple

Awesome.

So today, if Stanford calls up Northwestern and says let's do some medical research then Northwestern just says "no, sorry, we only work with our Big Ten brethren?" Is that what you're telling me?

It's great that the schools in the Big Ten do stuff together but I highly doubt they're limiting themselves to only working with each other. If they want to have an academic partnership with Stanford and vice versa then the logo on their respective football fields isn't going to get in the way of that.

And furthermore, if the conference affiliation really did get in the way of that and all these Big 10 brass value all that academic stuff so highly then why didn't they invite Cal and Stanford instead of USC and UCLA? Or at the very least in addition to those 2 schools?
Ummm, USC and UCLA are also big research universities....

TCU is not.

McFroggin

My source tells me that ND and TCU will receive offers from B1G this week. He's seldom wrong.

BBP is the source...am I wrong?

Similar to how Rutgers increased revenue for the Big10, TCU should be more valuable than Oregon or UWash. I don’t see them expanding into the NW. Clemson, ND, and FSU sure.

Endless Purple

$10 billion in research grants is legally earmarked for specifically designated research projects. None of it is transferable to athletics. Whereas $1 billion in media money is $1 billion their athletic programs wouldn't otherwise have.

This has very little to do with research and much more to do with academic snobbery.
I think this is one of the silliest things I have seen in awhile. Who said anything about taking money from research and giving it to athletics. You do know that university presidents vote on membership, not athletic directors.