• The KillerFrogs

Zona to Big 12 heating up

Virginia Frog

Yes! You’d think they’d grow a sack and jump ship.

Who would wanna be in a conference with the sequel to OU/Texas?
….so glad the B12 is out from under their thumb.
From the Presidential Debate stage to UOregon and UDub:
"OU/Texas are good friends of mine and you, UO/UW, you're no OU/Texas!" :D

Deep Purple

I think this is one of the silliest things I have seen in awhile. Who said anything about taking money from research and giving it to athletics. You do know that university presidents vote on membership, not athletic directors.
My point is that research dollars have little to do with athletics, and athletic conferences are not formed around research collaborations -- not even the B1G.

Yes I know that presidents and not athletic directors vote on conference members. Do you know that university presidents seldom have the power or authorization to make these voting decisions unilaterally, on their own mere say-so? Presidents are accountable to the athletics committee of the board and the board as a whole. And these people generally want to be informed of all their institutional options from a source having a much broader and deeper athletics expertise than merely the president, who is often an ivory-tower academic.

So they require consultation with the AD and athletics staff, and give significant weight to any advice/recommendations from that quarter. When a decision is reached, it will almost always be after much discussion and a consensus among the board, the AD, and the president. Any president who tried to rule an institution by his sole imperial fiat would soon find his career options extremely limited.

82 Frog Fever

This guy takes a lot of heat cause he’s just another podcaster, but he has been nails from the very beginning. He called the value of the media deal at $19.5m 4 or 5 mos. ago and stuck with the figure the whole time. He has reported the PAC coverup from the very beginning.
I’m pretty sure he has it right on this as well.

Casey T

Curious, but based on what source?

According to this one, Stanford did quite well over the 8 year period analyzed. 3rd in the PAC.

True that they seem solid when compared to P12 teams, but those graphs show Stanford averaging 2.6M viewers. In the new B10, that ranks #11/16. And if we’re comparing sec, that would be #15/16 there, only ahead of Vandy. TCU is at 2M. The B10 would have to justify a new addition bringing in $71M/year of value, and neither TCU nor stanford do that from my viewpoint. I don’t have the inside knowledge that GSR has but from everything I’ve seen, stanford doesn’t seem to move the needle

Casey T

B10 payouts are planned to be $73m in ‘24 and $100m by 2030.
If ND doesn’t move soon, Indiana University will be making nearly double what ND makes.
Curious where you’ve seen those escalation numbers. I was looking recently and what I saw seemed to indicate the average through the entire deal is $71-73M/year, which would mean it starts below that number and ends slightly above

82 Frog Fever

Completely agree with this. The thing is, Stanford does not have a ton of ppl who tune in to watch them. Their football tv numbers are not impressive
I’m not that sure about that. There is nobody in the PAC that averages less than 1m viewers and on ESPN all but one are over 2m. That’s a pretty solid avg for a regular season schedule.
Considering their record, CU is down right impressive.
1690836783879.jpeg

82 Frog Fever

I looked this up, and GK is supposed to present the very best deal he has for both money and reach in detail.
If that figure is less than $25m or 40% linear, the conference will lose more members. This GK presentation is pivotal and will determine if they survive, or are forced to scramble to survive.

Jason Scheer is on 365 Sports in 2 minutes and he may have good updates.

BTW talks appear to be heating up with ASU & UU.

Limey Frog

I looked this up, and GK is supposed to present the very best deal he has for both money and reach in detail.
If that figure is less than $25m or 40% linear, the conference will lose more members. This GK presentation is pivotal and will determine if they survive, or are forced to scramble to survive.

Scheer said on his own pod today that UA people expect almost all streaming and around $22M guaranteed.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area

The major question - can GK get away with lying about the potential payout by muddying the water?
Or will he really have to come clean?

82 Frog Fever

Jason Scheer just predicted $22m with lots of Apple streaming, maybe all streaming. There could be some small bonus targets for adding subs./viewers.

He also said the proposal is for 12 teams, so the PAC must add some very bad teams to get to 12. At the end of the day, they’ll have to add 4 to 6 teams just to get back to 12. If they can add some garbage teams at 1/2 price; then that’s a path for legacy members to get more $$$.

Thats a garbage deal.

Endless Purple

This chart seems to be off based on today's news. Looking at payout and not just media rights.

Big 12 payout was 44 million in 2022. So already low.

PAC ? does not look like they will be reach the projected numbers for 2024. Not sure what they base the big increases on through 2029.

Also curious as to what the increases to the ACC come from since media is set. ACC network expectations?