• The KillerFrogs

Why TCU doesn't get 5-Star players.

mtmedlin

Higher educational standards, I would think, would be an issue. Do any of you know what your admission standards are for football? I know USF has lost at least a half dozen players because they couldn't pass our review board....may be a reason why some of the lesser "mentally adept" players don't go to your school. Doesn't matter, if you have a coach who can win a Rose Bowl with 3 star, then I think you're fine.

DannyAdelante

There's a reason so few of those Top50 high school recruits ever become Heisman winners. Prima Donna definitely has something to do with it.

The recruiting rankings weren't around for Matt Leinart or any of the winners before him, but three of last six winners were top 50 - Cam Newton, Tim Tebow, Reggie Bush. Of the others, Mark Ingram and Troy Smith were 4-star players. Sam Bradford was a 3-star player.

Some players come off as prima donnas. I don't think Gray does.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Seems like GP and his staff are exceptional at vetting their recruits. They probably mis-read a few, but overall I would say they know who the "primma donnas" are and tend to go after ones they know are good, have potential and have the character and ethic they want. I can't think of a player TCU has had who fits a primma donna mold and I bet those who did didn't stick.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Not all 5 stars are prima donnas and would say a vast majority have goals in their careers they know they will have to work hard to achieve. Its a tricky area to get involved with saying TCU isn't a school for 5 star athletes because sometimes that can be self-fulfilling and think that is just another hurdle this staff needs to clear. There is definitely a reputation aspect to every school and TCU has a rep of turning 2 and 3 star athletes into NFL players.

Coaches now getting more 4 stars than they have been getting in the past and slowly the reputation is changing. Its always a battle when you want to do it the right way and you are up against high-paid salesmen always trying to knock you down in front of the athletes.

Personally think J Gray is making a huge mistake and feel bad for the coaches who work their ever-loving tails off continuing the fight for the good guys, but they are making inroads and their are definitely some cracks being seen in the great fortresses.

Good luck to this staff and many thanks for all your hard work.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I have a good friend that is a 5-A High School coach. He and I have had a number of discussions about the above, and most of the time it has been due to TCU not really being a "player" in this arena. However, in the past few years that has changed.

This may or may not come as a shock, but he told me that a lot of these players are prima-donnas, and after attending some of TCU's practices and seeing how hard they work during practice, he seems to have the opinion that when they go to the other programs, they aren't expected to work as hard, but will still see playing time. He says that this is how GP has been successful. He gets kids from small schools that nobody else wanted, knows they have a strong work ethic, and develops them into 5-star players while they are with him.

I never thought of that. Any discussion? Could this really be a factor?

Likely that is a big factor. At the age and level of maturity these kids are at, a candyman like Mack can shower them with ridiculous promises he knows he can never fulfill. As long as he can ink the kid, he doesn't care. He's got him for at least a couple of years and nobody else can hurt him with the kid on his bench if he doesn't work out in the "UT system."

One thing that I hoped would sway the Grays was the fact that kids who go through the TCU system get their degrees, some even get their Masters. TCU actually cares and follows through on their promises. The proof in in this last class. UT cannot even approach that without Mack Daddy's nose growing a foot or so...

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
When you get down to it UT is UT and there's nothing we can do about it but go after the next kid who wants to be part of this and go to TCU. Moving on ...

staypurple12

"Polished" is the right word. GP is GP and doesnt hide the fact he is comfortable in his own skin. Rich Rod is the same way and see what it led to at Michigan. GP rub some high profile recruit the "wrong way"....I think a lot of this is by design. You must bring in the kids that "fit" your program. There have been quite a few kids that didn't work out as projected at TCU because they don't fit what we know to "work" in Fort Worth. GP likes the kids that feel they are not getting the respect they deserve on Rivals....that is the non-AQ mentality we need.

This wont change going to the Big East because people in our region still dont equate the Big East with the Bevo 10 or SEC. There is something to be said for us never joining the elite conferences because it may work against the character of who we are and what works for us.

We preach it all the time in our program...we got to be who we are...dont try to be someone else because that someone else is trying to beat your tail...be who you are

SnoopFrogs11

To me Mack Brown's emotionless state on the sideline makes me think he is lazy. Gary makes players work for playing time. 5 star players don't want to work for want they are going to get it is pretty simple.

jstrat

This ESPN article sums it up perfectly:

Be wary of big-time players out of the University of Texas.

That’s the lesson I’ve taken from watching Vince Young and Michael Griffin at close range, and guys such as Ricky Williams, Cedric Benson and Michael Huff from afar. It seems they get babied in Austin, and that such star treatment don't help them get ready for the stresses of the NFL. (Derrick Johnson was slow to come around. Brian Orakpo has been an exception.)

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/23162/huff-free-agent-good-for-jaguars-texans

Frogcrates

From everything I've read about Gray, I would certainly not lump him in with the prima donna crowd of 5-stars. In fact he really seems like a class act (which is partly why it's so disappointing to miss out on him). However, we've all seen the way CGP is able to turn boys into men and that has helped to define our program this past decade.

Nevertheless, there is one incontrovertible fact that we will be dealing with from now until the foreseeable future: when recruiting kids from Texas it's going to be hard to overcome the desire that any young kid in Texas grows up with to play ball against A&M, Tech, Texas and/or OU. I'm sure there are plenty who wouldn't care if they played in front of a crowd of ten people if it meant being able to do that. We're moving to a bigger stage in the Big East, we've punched our ticket for BCS entry and all-in-all it is absolutely the right fit for us right now. But this is a challenge that we will be dealing with for years to come and the only way we're going to be able to overcome it is to win so damned much that people can't help but want to play for us no matter what part of the country we're playing in (oh, and maintaining an out of conference schedule to is stocked with plenty of former SWC foes).

Dogfrog

From everything I've read about Gray, I would certainly not lump him in with the prima dona crowd of 5-stars. In fact he really seems like a class act (which is partly why it's so disappointing to miss out on him). However, we've all seen the way CGP is able to turn boys into men and that has helped to define our program this past decade.

Nevertheless, there is one incontrovertible fact that we will be dealing with from now until the foreseeable future: when recruiting kids from Texas it's going to be hard to overcome the desire that any young kid in Texas grows up with to play ball against A&M, Tech, Texas and/or OU. I'm sure there are plenty who wouldn't care if they played in front of a crowd of ten people if it meant being able to do that. We're moving to a bigger stage in the Big East, we've punched our ticket for BCS entry and all-in-all it is absolutely the right fit for us right now. But this is a challenge that we will be dealing with for years to come and the only way we're going to be able to overcome it is to win so damned much that people can't help but want to play for us no matter what part of the country we're playing in (oh, and maintaining an out of conference schedule to is stocked with plenty of former SWC foes).

I think we'll continue to compete for Texas 5-stars, but it could be that the future 5-stars we sign will come from other regions of the country. We've done well in Florida, for example. As GP has said, we are more a national name right now than an in-state Texas name. As has been mentioned before, who becomes a 5-star often depends on where they commit and that won't likely change quickly. And the Kansas QB we have committed looks like a 5-star to me.

talor

Personally think J Gray is making a huge mistake and feel bad for the coaches who work their ever-loving tails off continuing the fight for the good guys, but they are making inroads and their are definitely some cracks being seen in the great fortresses.

Good luck to this staff and many thanks for all your hard work.

This. I said something similar in the VYPE thread. I don;t have to root for him because I feel he made a mistake. He chose to head to Austin and repair a crumbling castle instead of heading to FW and building a new one. He picked being coddled by Mack over hard work with GP.

Next please.

berryfrog95

This. I said something similar in the VYPE thread. I don;t have to root for him because I feel he made a mistake. He chose to head to Austin and repair a crumbling castle instead of heading to FW and building a new one. He picked being coddled by Mack over hard work with GP.

Next please.

Tend to agree with you.

LVfrog

Gray went where he felt most comfortable, I wish him well. The Frogs will continue to get good coachable kids who want to get better, and mos t assuredly will. I'm ready to move on and find the next kid who truly wants to be a Horned Frog.

PurplePainD

This thread has devolved into a jgray thread, which I don't believe was the original intent. I do believe that most 5 star, and for that matter, 4 star, recruits have a sense of entitlement, which has been charaterized as "prima donna attitude". I beileve that Gary and his staff run a meritocracy, so performance on the field drives everything. Whether this is true at other programs depends on those staffs.

All in all, I agree with the earlier poster that says I will trust our "five star coach" to recruit players that best fit his system.