• The KillerFrogs

Why TCU doesn't get 5-Star players.

I have a good friend that is a 5-A High School coach. He and I have had a number of discussions about the above, and most of the time it has been due to TCU not really being a "player" in this arena. However, in the past few years that has changed.

This may or may not come as a shock, but he told me that a lot of these players are prima-donnas, and after attending some of TCU's practices and seeing how hard they work during practice, he seems to have the opinion that when they go to the other programs, they aren't expected to work as hard, but will still see playing time. He says that this is how GP has been successful. He gets kids from small schools that nobody else wanted, knows they have a strong work ethic, and develops them into 5-star players while they are with him.

I never thought of that. Any discussion? Could this really be a factor?

sous vide

I have a good friend that is a 5-A High School coach. He and I have had a number of discussions about the above, and most of the time it has been due to TCU not really being a "player" in this arena. However, in the past few years that has changed.

This may or may not come as a shock, but he told me that a lot of these players are prima-donnas, and after attending some of TCU's practices and seeing how hard they work during practice, he seems to have the opinion that when they go to the other programs, they aren't expected to work as hard, but will still see playing time. He says that this is how GP has been successful. He gets kids from small schools that nobody else wanted, knows they have a strong work ethic, and develops them into 5-star players while they are with him.

I never thought of that. Any discussion? Could this really be a factor?

Whether it's stated or not, I think it highly likely that the "vibe" prima donna recruits get from CGP is somewhat different from the vibe they get from many other coaches. For someone who's been given everything for years, that could be a deal breaker, true.

Dogfrog

It's simple. Guys like Mack promise whatever necessary to the recruit and parents to get the commitment. Patterson only tells them they will have to earn their way like every other recruit. This is not what mommy and daddy want to hear.

Froggy Style

Could be partly true. I do think that TCU wasn't in on most of these recruits in the past. Rivals truly does wait to see who UT, OU, USC, etc are recruiting, and then decides whether they are 4 or 5 stars. In general, TCU hasn't been in on those recruits, but when they are and get a commit later in the game, then we happen to get a 4 or five star guy (see Robert Merrill). If a talented guy commits to TCU early and doesn't give the love to UT, then they don't get an offer from UT, and therefore are prevented from getting a 4 or 5 star rating (see Colby Griffin - ***).

UT ensure a happy fanbase by not offering most recruits unless they know the answer is yes, because it looks like they get everyone they wanted. For the most part, they do...but they have definitely manipulated the system to ensure they have the top class. Problem is, that raises expectations for mediocre coaching and development.

Ask any UT fan right now about the players on their team, and they'll tell you they don't have the talent and that's why they're struggling. Ask any player in February about their recruiting class, and they'll tell you they got the best players. Both of these thing just can't be true, no matter how bad the coaching and development.

Truth of the matter is, there's not that much difference between top athletes. Anthony and Gray look very similar to me on film. It's the coaching and development that is the end all...Gray has put a lot of stock in the new coaches at UT. I suspect many of them won't be there in a year or two if they are worth a darn.

BABYFACE

A 5 star recruit that doesn't mind working hard and pushing himself harder and thus will not be detered by TCU's hard work ethic. I can see where a prima donna could would shy away from a hard-nose coach. I will say this, Gray works hard on and off the field and working hard at TCU did not deter him. He just wanted UT more. It didn't hurt that his HS HC loves UT either.

I agree. I don't know Gary personally, but from what I've gathered over the years, he is all about tough love. Last season you would watch Mack on the sidelines during their losses and he almost looked emotionless. We all know that Gary would be up in the kids' grills if they quit mid-season like the UT players did last year. As I get older, I realize more and more that there is a significant portion of people in this world who feel entitled to success. I'm glad that Gary goes after the kids that will WORK to accomplish their goals.

police1287

There may be more to that thought than we know Zebra.An another thing there will be a 5 star best running back in Texas next year and the year after and so on.The Frogs will get the right one, just a matter of time.

Metropolis777

Doesn't surprise me at all. Remember that Jevan Sneed transferred to Ole Miss over us because GP told Sneed he'd have to compete with Andy for the starting job. If a player doesn't want to do the work necessary to flourish in the TCU system, I'm happy that player has selected a different school.

staypurple12

This is no news-flash to most of you but think like a HS athlete

(1) Top dawg on campus....likes the spotlight....UT has its own network now...play on ABC at Night during the season not Versus or mTn
(2) 100,000 stadium or 50,000....celebs everywhere
(3) The above post nailed it on practice tempo, work ethic, etc
(4) Walk into an Academy and the burnt orange far outweighs the purple
(5) Ladies....not a bad crop in Austin ( I married a frog athlete so yes I know there is no shortage of babes but they flaunt it a little more in Austin....google Longhorn Hotties or whatever)

That is what sells. It is not always a bad thing not to have 15-20 5 star athletes on your team fighting over one rock....Horned Frogs recruit kids that are hungry...its working and GP and staff will keep it going. GP is honest with you. Mack is a great man (legit) but he could easily be on Capitol Hill.

It is amazing what we have done in Cowtown. Gray will do well at Texas and the Frogs will continue to get dodged for post-season Non-conference matchups!

staypurple12

No doubt on "best coach in the state" and that says a lot because there are some skins in this state when you think of Brown, Tuberville, and Jones and what they have accomplished in various programs. GP is different from the rest of those guys. He worked the room a completely different way at the National Football Foundation awards the other night. GP is a guy you get a cold one with while everyone else is recruiting all the time.....(selling the program).

GP treats every HS coach the same way regardless of what kids they got. This is not an indictment of the other coaches in the state because we have a lot of good ones who support our HS kids and coaching staffs. But GP is different...he is the same guy he was 10 years ago as a DC and never changed his persona to fit the D1 ball coach mold. We are blessed folks.

Sponger

That certainly is a factor for some players. But also...many of these "prima-donnas" who can play for any top team also want to play in front of larger crowds than TCU can offer. The smallest of the 20 largest stadiums is over 80K. This will always be a factor.

By the way...this is not my opinion, this is coming from the parent of a current high profile recruit (kid is offered by USC, Bama, UCLA, S. Carolina, NC, and others). He also told me that Patterson "rubbed him the wrong way"...meaning that GP "just wasn't what he (or his son) was looking for.

Further said that GP isn't as "polished" in his recruiting as Nick Saban or Mack, and that TCU will lose recruits because of this, but will also get kids who have that personality connection with him....they didn't. He is basing this opinion on his experience this year and several conversations with other top recruits families he has met at both TCU and other camps. Basically, GP has an approach that either turns you off or captures you. I think this is right on point with the original point.

HFrog1999

I kind of think it's harder to coach 5 stars than 3 or even 4 stars. I'd rather see TCU stick to the 3 stars that turn into 1st round draft picks than pick some high school kid who thinks he's already made it.

Stiff Arm Frog

I do believe there is a ring of truth to this line of thinking, but my shades aren't purple enough to believe it has everything to do with it. High school kids, just like anybody, want to play on the biggest stage. Playing in Austin, in front of 80,000+ crowds, on national television every Saturday has perks that TCU just doesn't right now. The kind of kids that come to TCU are going to have a different personality than the kids that go to UT.

At the same time, those kids that go to UT will fit with the personality of Mack Bown (an overrated coach). Kids that come to TCU will fit with the personality and philosophy of Gary Patterson (best coach in the country -- I have no doubt of this). So really, I'm okay with the situation as things stand. It can really only get better.

There's a reason so few of those Top50 high school recruits ever become Heisman winners. Prima Donna definitely has something to do with it.

DannyAdelante

If I were a player that knew that I could likely start at any college I chose, I'd probably pick the bigger, more tradition-rich program.
Yes, they had a down year last year, but when they're good (and they usually are), can you imagine playing in front of 100,000 people every home game? Or in the Cotton Bowl every October against OU? Every single game they play is on national tv.
Plus, if I were an 18 year old college kid, I'd probably want to go to school somewhere a bit further away than 15 minutes east on I-30.

HFrog1999

I really think UT's on the downward slope of their program. TCU is poised to become a big time national show. Just wait for 2012 when we've go the new stadium along with the Big East exposure.

texasrobster1997

I think this is true for many five star recruits, but not for Gray. Without any inside info, I think Malcolm Brown was the biggest reason for Gray choosing Texas. Brown and Gray seemed to hit it off and they will likely make each other better. I can see how that relationship could make a big difference in choosing a school.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Let's see what all those hangers-on who are singing the praises of Mack Daddy now are saying in November when the UTs are looking at another losing season. When those 100,000 people are booing.