• The KillerFrogs

We better not get screwed out of the Texas Bowl

TCUdirtbag

As you suggest, 3 teams would have to jump OU for them to get left out of the NY6 if they lose to Texas. It would take something as unlikely as Georgia beating Bama and Pitt beating Clemson before that even starts to become possible. Even then, OU has by far the best resume to get the last spot. It’d be 11-2 OU vs. 10-2 Wash State and 9-3 Penn State/Florida/LSU. And none of those teams made their CCG.

It’s far more likely Ohio State jumps OU for the final playoff spot.

It actually wouldn’t take falling 3 spots. If a favored team loses 3 could become 2 etc. The contract bowls make it more convoluted than just rankings.

And if you can win and fall 3 spots you can certainly lose and fall 3.

Horned Toad

Memphis is a great town. West Memphis may have a few problems and may be the area you want to avoid but the city is great especially around Beale Street. If you are an Elvis fan, visit Graceland. Heck visit it even if you are not. There is a lot of cool things to do there.

YA

Memphis is fine. Those complaining about Memphis complain about pretty much everything on every topic anyway. Take them with a grain of salt.

Just like any town, don't go to parts of town and look for trouble. Heck, Fort Worth from berry east of I-35 to 287 and south is some of the roughest areas of the city, state and this part of the country.

Moose Stuff

Memphis is fine. Those complaining about Memphis complain about pretty much everything on every topic anyway. Take them with a grain of salt.

Just like any town, don't go to parts of town and look for trouble. Heck, Fort Worth from berry east of I-35 to 287 and south is some of the roughest areas of the city, state and this part of the country.

I rarely complain and I think Memphis is a [ Finebaum ]hole. I’m open to the idea that I’m doing it wrong and have asked a few people in this thread that enjoy Memphis where they stay and what they do.

Realtorfrog

I’m pretty sure OU won’t have a problem with tx this week. Did you see Kyler’s eyes light up when they asked him to comment on the game. He giggled, smiled and then said no comment.

Frog-in-law1995

It actually wouldn’t take falling 3 spots. If a favored team loses 3 could become 2 etc. The contract bowls make it more convoluted than just rankings.

And if you can win and fall 3 spots you can certainly lose and fall 3.

In the event both OU and OSU lose, I don’t think a Bama loss would have any effect. The SEC gets a spot in the Sugar regardless, so whether it’s GA or (presumably) KY doesn’t matter really. Not sure a Clemson loss would matter either. Maybe Michigan goes to the playoff instead (or maybe UCF, opening another spot), but Clemson might just stay in as the 4 seed. But even if both of those very unlikely upsets happen, and somehow that eliminates 2 openings, who among the teams not playing jumps ahead of 11-2 OU for the last spot?

ticketfrog123

Can we start a separate thread or poll to decide if Memphis sucks?

I want to bicker at other posters and tell them that my opinion and assumption about OU beating Texas is better than theirs.

Some of this discussion is merited as it’s all conjecture but there’s two things that are guaranteed to happen at this point.

(1) Texas will play in the sugar bowl.
(2) OKST will play in PHX Cheez-it.
(1-B) UGA will steamroll Texas.

Frog-in-law1995

I want to bicker at other posters and tell them that my opinion and assumption about OU beating Texas is better than theirs.

Some of this discussion is merited as it’s all conjecture but there’s two things that are guaranteed to happen at this point.

So there’s zero chance OSU jumps OU? None at all?

ftwfrog

Did I miss the part where OKsT is guaranteed to PHX?

TCUdirtbag

In the event both OU and OSU lose, I don’t think a Bama loss would have any effect. The SEC gets a spot in the Sugar regardless, so whether it’s GA or (presumably) KY doesn’t matter really. Not sure a Clemson loss would matter either. Maybe Michigan goes to the playoff instead (or maybe UCF, opening another spot), but Clemson might just stay in as the 4 seed. But even if both of those very unlikely upsets happen, and somehow that eliminates 2 openings, who among the teams not playing jumps ahead of 11-2 OU for the last spot?

Not following all of this but think we’ll have a potentially clearer picture with thw new rankings this week. A big loss for OU coupled with an easily criticized defense would be problematic.

TCUdirtbag

So there’s zero chance OSU jumps OU? None at all?

Agree with this sentiment. It’s certainly possible. But if OU wins they should be safe. One loss to a rival you also beat vs. a very bad loss to Purdue should give OU the trump card. If Northwestern wasn’t so mediocre I’d be more concerned.

Not many talking about the non-zero possibility big Ws by the P5 CCG favorites (less PAC) could knock Notre Dame to 5. I actually think the threat of a huge tOSU win is that the committee decides it’s a debate between ND and OU instead of between OSU sand OU.

Frog-in-law1995

Agree with this sentiment. It’s certainly possible. But if OU wins they should be safe. One loss to a rival you also beat vs. a very bad loss to Purdue should give OU the trump card. If Northwestern wasn’t so mediocre I’d be more concerned.

Not many talking about the non-zero possibility big Ws by the P5 CCG favorites (less PAC) could knock Notre Dame to 5. I actually think the threat of a huge tOSU win is that the committee decides it’s a debate between ND and OU instead of between OSU sand OU.

It would be delicious if 1-loss OU and OSU jumped undefeated Notre Dame, but that seems like the most remote possibility of anything discussed in this thread to date.

Wexahu

As the resident expert on all things CFP committee related ;), let me weigh in. OU currently has the edge, but that can go away with a close win against UT and an OSU blowout of Northwestern. OU is going to have to win, and look good doing it if they want a guaranteed spot. Notre Dame is in, I just can't see them passing up an undefeated P5/ND team for one with a relatively significant wart on their resume. So that last spot is most likely going to come down to OU/OSU....and throw Bama in there too if they lose as I could easily see them dropping out in that scenario. In any event, if everything goes according to hoyle on Saturday, some folks are gonna be really frustrated and pissed again, which is the fastest route to a shakeup in the system.

As for who I think is the "better" team between OU and OSU, I honestly don't know. It's damn close. OU's defense is awful but hard to get a 29-point loss to Purdue out of your head.

Austintxfrog94

While I agree with this thinking I put nothing past that CFP committee. This would be 2 years in-a-row they won't let the B1G champ in. There's a lot of long-term revenue on the line. I don't believe it's solely about the 4 best teams with those yahoos. It will make for interesting TV for ESPN if OU and OSU both win this weekend.

Wexahu

While I agree with this thinking I put nothing past that CFP committee. This would be 2 years in-a-row they won't let the B1G champ in. There's a lot of long-term revenue on the line. I don't believe it's solely about the 4 best teams with those yahoos. It will make for interesting TV for ESPN if OU and OSU both win this weekend.

I would bet there is little to no difference in revenue whether OU or OSU make it.

I'd like to know what scenario would convince people that the CFP really is trying to determine who the four best teams are, regardless of school size or conference affiliation.

HFrog1999

I travel the entire DFW area on a daily basis. I visit stores, hotels and motels in East Fort Worth, the Las Vegas Trail area, Cedar Hill and the Red Bird area of Dallas. There is no area of DFW that I haven’t been too.

I’ve also lived and worked in Memphis and have family that live there.

There is no part of Memphis that is safe. There’s nothing plenty of good places to eat. However, IMO, the city is turrible.