• The KillerFrogs

We better not get screwed out of the Texas Bowl

Dogfrog

Pittsburgh's a neat looking old city and downtown Chicago's fun. I just didn't like Atlanta because it seemed like every street corner had a crazy homeless guy on it.

I find Phoenix unsettling, I think it's because the desert weirds me out. Probably because of that old movie Duel with Dennis Weaver.

The last time I was out there, my coworker insisted on going to see his friend at a local bar. It was some tiny hole in the wall across from a garage. When I walked in, the first thing I noticed were signs all over that said "NO FIGHTING!". I only witnessed a few scuffles though. Also, the Fiesta Bowl sucked.

My favorite bowl so far was the 2005 Houston Bowl. That was a fun trip.

Fiesta Fanfest. Need I say more?

HFrog1999

The Iowa State fans sure were talking trash going into the game

I didn't notice, I was distracted by their blindingly white legs since they all wore shorts because it was over 60 degrees.

giphy.gif

ticketfrog123

There’s an assumption that OSU’s 3-6 league record knocks them to the bottom of the Big 12 pile with TCU and Baylor at 4-5.

Not to nitpick at words. It’s not an assumption.

It would be unprecedented for the Big 12 to send 3-6 league record OKST to a bowl that TCU or Baylor should be chosen for with a 4-5 record.

Never happened before. Would be a very big deal.

Chongo94

Depends on where you are. 5 points is absolutely as dangerous as Memphis. Most of the other areas downtown/midtown into Buckhead and north are a blast.

We went to the Atlanta United match last night at the Benz and it was epic. Great spots all around the Benz, State Farm arena, and Centennial Park.

I really enjoyed Atlanta when I visited. Actually ran into a group of attractive female Frogs at SweetWater Brewing on their open house day or whatever it is they do.

Farmfrog

The only thing Houston has going for it is recruiting. I know a lot of Houston Frogs would enjoy it but I would come in day of the game and leave the next day. My friends there think I’m crazy but Houston is like Dallas to me, they both suck.

Just one mans opinion.

Pharm Frog

Retired after 40 years of extensive travel, the park area in Waco after dark (made wrong turn and got lost) and the Main St area of downtown Dallas after dark are as bad as anyplace I’ve been. Places I’ve never been concerned - New Orleans, NYC, Philly, L.A, Pittsburgh, downtown Chicago, Atlanta.

I'll second the reference to Dallas but find it odd that you list three "unconcerning" cities that I've visited rather regularly where I've almost always been concerned and another that is getting that way.

frogs9497

I’ve been to Detroit a couple of times within the past year. That place is strange just because of how empty it is.

Atlanta has the worst downtown area that I’ve been to IMO.

For the Peach Bowl, we survived the walk from the Alumni hotel to the aquarium and back. No problem at all. But I did get a sense that it was better not to deviate from the direct route.

Buckhead, on the other hand, is a very nice area. We spent a full day walking around.

Ron Swanson

The only thing Houston has going for it is recruiting. I know a lot of Houston Frogs would enjoy it but I would come in day of the game and leave the next day. My friends there think I’m crazy but Houston is like Dallas to me, they both suck.

Just one mans opinion.
To each their own, but Houston is so big and spread out that you have to know where to go. It’s not like everyone just goes to Houston and goes out in the one place that everyone goes out in. If you don’t know what you’re doing, which is very easy to do, there’s a good chance you’ll end up somewhere boring or not to your liking. It does have something for everyone, so you just have to know where to go.

I’ll admit it’s not a great tourist city though, but if you like big-city life, it’s a great place to live, work, and raise a family.

Last edited:

MTfrog5

The more I think about it, I’ll be really pissed if OSU or Baylor get the Texas Bowl. I’m fine with Baylor getting picked over by the Liberty and making them go to Arizona.

Pharm Frog

Which are your 4 concerned cities.

New Orleans, Philly, and LA. NYC is getting back to being concerning IMO but I seldom have to go there anymore. And I will say that Newark is probably the most concerning that I have had cause to frequent so good that they don't have a bowl game there. My most recent visit to downtown Chicago was particularly concerning but that was because of an event that was going on and not indicative of my other experiences in that part of Chicago.

Opintel

Moderators
BB KIng Bar. Excellent time when we were there before; newly opened The Guesthouse At Graceland was nice. Game disappointed.

Joho

I wish Phoenix was the 27th. That’s a great area but too hard to leave on Christmas for a game on the 26th vs San Diego State

So the team and the traveling party must have no choice but to spend Christmas out there if the game is 12/26??? That kind of sucks. I know for bowl games they spend several days prior in the bowl city, mainly for practice obviously, but also for all the lead-in events. Just b/c it’s the day after Christmas, that’s got to be inflexible right?

Even as a member of only the marching band for the 1994 POULAN WEEDEATER Independence Bowl, I seem to remember a full 2 days at least in the fine host city of Shreveport LA.