• The KillerFrogs

We better not get screwed out of the Texas Bowl

Ron Swanson

If the conspiracy is true that Gary hand selected this opponent to increase the chances of not having his 3rd or 4th losing season then I can see why. Poor Cal, they have one of the worst offenses in the country. They are playing a freshman quarterback that has around a 51% completion percentage the last couple of games for around 150 yards a game and a QBR of around 32. He's also their second or leading rusher a game getting around 65 yards average the last couple of games. On paper, we should destroy this team, but irony might be at play if we did dodge an SEC team in Houston and karma comes back to get us. If we lose to this Cal team, I think that loss would surpass the 36 point loss that was served up cold in Morgantown this past November.
We are a bad football team. Nothing about this game on paper says we should destroy this team. We are very similar teams and I expect a 13-10 type game.

Virginia Frog

could he be lying? yes, but if the capacity is just over 72,000 and you have over 50,000 sold you don't need the schools to do much more than their allotment

You may need to understand how they've used the word "sold" to see the real truth.

The 50 thousand is likely includes the number of tickets that have been "given" to sponsors (as a part of their advertising packages) as well as the "required to sell" allocation of participating teams (10K each?).

No way have they actually sold 50K seats at retail before the matchup is announced.

Eight

You may need to understand how they've used the word "sold" to see the real truth.

The 50 thousand is likely includes the number of tickets that have been "given" to sponsors (as a part of their advertising packages) as well as the "required to sell" allocation of participating teams (10K each?).

No way have they actually sold 50K seats at retail before the matchup is announced.

agreed, but even if they have "given away" 50,000 tickets that leaves only roughly 10,000 per team and more importantly would indicate that they aren't as concerned about the teams as some want to believe.

in either case the texas bowl ends up with two private school teams who don't exactly have national appeal.

Ron Swanson

agreed, but even if they have "given away" 50,000 tickets that leaves only roughly 10,000 per team and more importantly would indicate that they aren't as concerned about the teams as some want to believe.

in either case the texas bowl ends up with two private school teams who don't exactly have national appeal.
I guess it depends on how you define the word appeal. I think the whole nation is united in rooting against Baylor, so it could possibly drive up ratings as the whole country pulls together in unity to cheer on the Commodores

Moose Stuff

One of them doesn’t even have local appeal in their home city.

NewFrogFan

Hindsight is awesome. Going into that game UM had a 7-point loss on the road to a team that is still undefeated and had won their 8 conference games by an average of 24 points. Their defense was giving up on average less than 12 ppg. I'm curious where they should have been ranked if they were way overrated?

I don't recall ANYBODY having a problem with where Michigan was ranked going into Saturday's game. Literally nobody. And now it was obvious that they were overrated? I'm not saying I think Michigan is some awesome team, but going into that game, relative to other team's resumes, they were probably ranked exactly where they should have been. Name a team that should have been ranked ahead of them and I'll show you a bigger wart on that resume than UMs.

Ranked behind a number of 3 loss teams, in addition there has been significant talk about just how good ND really is or isn’t.