• The KillerFrogs

We better not get screwed out of the Texas Bowl

TCUdirtbag

I don’t know what your point is but it’s a hell of a lot more likely that OU beats UT and doesn’t get in the playoff than it is that OU loses to UT and doesn’t get an at large NY6 bid.

I don’t necessarily agree. The thing you keep ignoring across threads is the legitimate possibility that if the Big 12 misses the Playoff, there may simply not be room in the NY6 due to contract games.

With Orange and Cotton tied up with Semifinals, Sugar and Rose with dedicated teams, only Peach and Fiesta have open slots. One of those goes to UCF.

Pretty viable scenario where 1-4 Bama Clemson Notre Dame Ohio State make the Playoff. Michigan Pac-12 champ, Georgia and UT fill the contract bowls. UCF to NY6. Then it’s all about how far an 11-2 OU falls.

And if there are any upsets in the other CCGs it could be a mess. A Georgia win would put UGA and Bama in the Playoff. A Pitt win probably knocks Clemson out, and Pitt gets an NY6 at-large to Fiesta or Peach because the Orange (ACC Champ contract) is occupied by CFO Semi. And of course Clemson would still get an NY6 at-large berth to the one Pitt isn’t in. Ohio State losing may just knock em to another NY6 bowl etc etc.

It seems safest to see OU beat a top 10ish Texas team (9 in AP) and stay over an Ohio State team that isn’t playing a good CCG opponent.

I do think we should all wait to see the new CFP rankings this week before making too many assumptions. Where the committee puts OU and tOSU will be somewhat telling.

Last edited:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
About the only thing for certain is if Texas beats OU, the Sooners will go to a NY6 game and the rest of the B12 bowl teams get knocked down one selection level. All other scenarios are presently up for grabs and speculation. Ohio State is a wild card and we have seen in the past how that can go.

Moose Stuff

I don’t necessarily agree. The thing you keep ignoring across threads is the legitimate possibility that if the Big 12 misses the Playoff, there may simply not be room in the NY6 due to contract games.

With Orange and Cotton tied up with Semifinals, Sugar and Rose with dedicated teams, only Peach and Fiesta have open slots. One of those goes to UCF.

Pretty viable scenario where 1-4 Bama Clemson Notre Dame Ohio State make the Playoff. Michigan Pac-12 champ, Georgia and UT fill the contract bowls. UCF to NY6. Then it’s all about how far an 11-2 OU falls.

And if there are any upsets in the other CCGs it could be a mess. A Georgia win would put UGA and Bama in the Playoff. A Pitt win probably knocks Clemson out, and Pitt gets an NY6 at-large to Fiesta or Peach because the Orange (ACC Champ contract) is occupied by CFO Semi. And of course Clemson would still get an NY6 at-large berth to the one Pitt isn’t in. Ohio State losing may just knock em to another NY6 bowl etc etc.

It seems safest to see OU beat a top 10ish Texas team (9 in AP) and stay over an Ohio State team that isn’t playing a good CCG opponent.

I do think we should all wait to see the new CFP rankings this week before making too many assumptions. Where the committee puts OU and tOSU will be somewhat telling.

OU losing and getting a NY6 invite is more likely than everything you just wrote. That’s my opinion.

It’s interesting to me that you just made assumptions for 5 paragraphs and ended with a 6th telling people to stop making assumptions.

Frog-in-law1995

As you suggest, 3 teams would have to jump OU for them to get left out of the NY6 if they lose to Texas. It would take something as unlikely as Georgia beating Bama and Pitt beating Clemson before that even starts to become possible. Even then, OU has by far the best resume to get the last spot. It’d be 11-2 OU vs. 10-2 Wash State and 9-3 Penn State/Florida/LSU. And none of those teams made their CCG.

It’s far more likely Ohio State jumps OU for the final playoff spot.

Frog-in-law1995

Why is that not certain? That is what will happen if UT wins. The one thing I am not certain of is whether OU will make the playoff if the Sooners win Saturday (or what the rankings will look like tomorrow night).

If Texas beats OU, UT plays in the Sugar and OU likely plays in the Peach or Fiesta. If OU wins and makes the playoff, UT will still play in the Sugar. If OU wins and doesn’t make the playoff, they play in the Sugar and UT goes to the Alamo and everybody gets knocked down a peg.

Moose Stuff

Why is that not certain? That is what will happen if UT wins. The one thing I am not certain of is whether OU will make the playoff if the Sooners win Saturday (or what the rankings will look like tomorrow night).

Already answered by another poster, but a couple reasons why that isn’t certain. If UT wins it’s not certain OU gets a NY6 invite. It’s very likely, but not certain. Also, if UT wins and OU gets a NY6 invite that means they both get one (UT to Sugar) which wouldn’t push the rest of the Big 12 down one selection level.

Pharm Frog

Memphis is a 3.5 hour drive from NashVega$.

What’s wrong with a little Beale Street on New Years Eve?

Nothing but we have friends over in Nashville from when we lived there and I simply like Nashville better...much better. And it would surprise nobody that knows me that Beale Street holds very little value for me. Ironically, the best NYE's I've spent were in Nashville.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Already answered by another poster, but a couple reasons why that isn’t certain. If UT wins it’s not certain OU gets a NY6 invite. It’s very likely, but not certain. Also, if UT wins and OU gets a NY6 invite that means they both get one (UT to Sugar) which wouldn’t push the rest of the Big 12 down one selection level.
OK, I am thinking OU definitely makes NY6 if they lose to UT. Then I guess UT does get one if they win for being conference champ. I suppose having two B12 teams getting a NY6 bowl would be uncertain.

Moose Stuff

Nothing but we have friends over in Nashville from when we lived there and I simply like Nashville better...much better. And it would surprise nobody that knows me that Beale Street holds very little value for me. Ironically, the best NYE's I've spent were in Nashville.

My favorite non Texas town is Nashville by a wide margin.

Moose Stuff

OK, I am thinking OU definitely makes NY6 if they lose to UT. Then I guess UT does get one if they win for being conference champ. I suppose having two B12 teams getting a NY6 bowl would be uncertain.

I think OU gets one too (I’d be shocked if they didn’t). Just saying it isn’t assured.

DixieFrog

Ticket Exchange Pass

Trust me, I get it .. Beale Street and downtown Memphis can be rough. Wife and kids haven't been to Memphis, so we will probably stay 1-2 nights max (if we go to the Liberty Bowl).

frogs9497

We were considering making this trip, but not so sure now.

Is crime bad in the tourist areas? I've heard Memphis in general has several areas one should avoid.

Last edited:

TCUdirtbag

About the only thing for certain is if Texas beats OU, the Sooners will go to a NY6 game and the rest of the B12 bowl teams get knocked down one selection level. All other scenarios are presently up for grabs and speculation. Ohio State is a wild card and we have seen in the past how that can go.

No. This is not certain.

The only thing that is certain is that a Big 12 team will play in the Sugar Bowl.

Dogfrog

Doesn't say much for Memphis, obviously. And I hate driving anywhere over an hour.

Nothing against Memphis really, just like Nashville better and my wife has never spent time in Nashville. Would need to fly and based on where I have my FF miles, Nashville provides better options.