• The KillerFrogs

Ump blows perfect game on last out...

berryfrog95

QUOTE(Longfrog @ Jun 2 2010, 10:15 PM) [snapback]567501[/snapback]
Somewhere, Don Denkinger is smiling a little...

I'm still smiling too as a Royals fan growing up in Kansas City. Don was on Mike and Mike in the morning espn radio, this morning reliving his missed call.

Along those lines, didn't MLB change Roberto Clemente's presumed 3000 hit in which the score-keeper scored it an error, Clemente dies in the off-season stuck on 2999 and MLB changed it from an error back to a hit for #3000.....it was a nice move, might not parallel this occurence but MLB has made a change before.....we'll see.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
QUOTE(TCUTalor @ Jun 3 2010, 09:06 AM) [snapback]567606[/snapback]
I hope Jim Joyce sends Gallaraga a nice fruit basket

Who ate the turtles!

QUOTE(berryfrog95 @ Jun 3 2010, 11:01 AM) [snapback]567649[/snapback]
I'm still smiling too as a Royals fan growing up in Kansas City. Don was on Mike and Mike in the morning espn radio, this morning reliving his missed call.

Along those lines, didn't MLB change Roberto Clemente's presumed 3000 hit in which the score-keeper scored it an error, Clemente dies in the off-season stuck on 2999 and MLB changed it from an error back to a hit for #3000.....it was a nice move, might not parallel this occurence but MLB has made a change before.....we'll see.

Don't think so. Clemente's 3000th hit was a clean double in the gap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsmqqPxb_xM

You willing to hand that World Series ring over to the Cardinals? I was joking about Whitey Herzog, but baseball does have to be a little careful with the precedent here.

Upon further review (thanks RSF) ... Clemente had what he thought was his 3000th hit the night before called an error. He complained, but he hit his 3000th the old fashioned way the next day. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience...000-career-hit/

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
FWIW.....Peter Gammons just said he doesn't think it should be overturned, because it will undermine all umpires. Not the Pandora's box scenario (where do you draw the line on reviews), but an interesting point from a guy who's watched a little baseball in is time.

sous vide

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Jun 3 2010, 11:52 AM) [snapback]567668[/snapback]
They should record it as a perfect game with an asterisk.

I wonder if that's not precisely what we'll see in the end. I don't see how it can be clearly overturned without some sort of mention.

TCUExaminer

Contributor
QUOTE(NewfoundlandFrog @ Jun 3 2010, 10:25 AM) [snapback]567669[/snapback]
I wonder if that's not precisely what we'll see in the end. I don't see how it can be clearly overturned without some sort of mention.

The thing that sucks the most to me, is that even if it is overturned, Galarraga and his team missed out on the opportunity to celebrate and mob him on the mound.

IMHO, that's always my favorite part of a no-hitter/perfect game.

y2kFrog

QUOTE(NewfoundlandFrog @ Jun 3 2010, 07:25 AM) [snapback]567669[/snapback]

Probably, it will always be remembered anyway.

QUOTE(y2kFrog @ Jun 3 2010, 11:30 AM) [snapback]567678[/snapback]
Probably, it will always be remembered anyway.

Add to that the truly anomalous fact that there have been THREE perfect games in the last month when there have only been 20 (21 if you include Galarraga's) in the almost 140-year history of major league baseball and the only year in which there have there been even two perfect games in the same year was 1880. There was a span of EIGHTY-FOUR years between perfect games in the National League between 1880 and 1964!

BogeyGolf7

Don't overturn it and don't bring in more replays to baseball - a big complaint these days is about how long games are taking and replay would just add on to that
part of baseball is umpires being wrong, always has been and should always be like that (just my opinion)

had Cabrera stayed home and just let the 2B field that ball this wouldnt be an issue
besides it looks to me that Galarrage bobbles the ball after he catches it - I know that the umpire says he was wrong

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(BogeyGolf7 @ Jun 3 2010, 11:57 AM) [snapback]567741[/snapback]
had Cabrera stayed home and just let the 2B field that ball this wouldnt be an issue

My first thought as well, but I think you HAVE to go after that ball if you're him in that situation. I'm surprised not one person in this thread has mentioned that Galarraga was traded to Detroit by the Rangers.

FrogAbroad

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 3 2010, 11:07 AM) [snapback]567747[/snapback]
My first thought as well, but I think you HAVE to go after that ball if you're him in that situation. I'm surprised not one person in this thread has mentioned that Galarraga was traded to Detroit by the Rangers.

Another star in Jon-boy's crown.

:angry:

Longfrog

QUOTE(FrogAbroad @ Jun 3 2010, 11:34 AM) [snapback]567760[/snapback]

Another star in Jon-boy's crown.

:angry:

I think it's a little unfair to blame that one on Daniels. IIRC, they didn't have room for him on the 40, and he was about to get Rule 5'd. They traded him just to get something for him. I guess you can argue that they should have made room for him, but the guy is a pretty up-and-down character. After a good rookie season in '08, he sported a 5.64 ERA in a major pitcher's park last year. I'm not 100% sure that he'd even be in the current Ranger rotation.

y2kFrog

QUOTE(Longfrog @ Jun 3 2010, 10:15 AM) [snapback]567767[/snapback]
I think it's a little unfair to blame that one on Daniels. IIRC, they didn't have room for him on the 40, and he was about to get Rule 5'd. They traded him just to get something for him. I guess you can argue that they should have made room for him, but the guy is a pretty up-and-down character. After a good rookie season in '08, he sported a 5.64 ERA in a major pitcher's park last year. I'm not 100% sure that he'd even be in the current Ranger rotation.

Add to that he was just called up from the minors. He was sent down for poor performance by the Tigers too.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(RSF @ Jun 3 2010, 10:14 AM) [snapback]567666[/snapback]
FWIW.....Peter Gammons just said he doesn't think it should be overturned

You can't overturn it now. It has to stand. Just a horrible call.

TCUExaminer

Contributor
The only problem is, the MLB went through and changed the "definition" of what a no-hitter is just a few years ago and removed like 50 no-hitters from the record books.

I get the "integrity of the game" argument but the rebuttals that I have are the instance I just mentioned, and the George Brett "Pine Tar Incident." Even the game itself allows official scorers to go back and change a call hours after a play happened.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(TCUExaminer @ Jun 3 2010, 02:49 PM) [snapback]567843[/snapback]
The only problem is, the MLB went through and changed the "definition" of what a no-hitter is just a few years ago and removed like 50 no-hitters from the record books.

Really? I missed that? How did they change the definition.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jun 3 2010, 02:52 PM) [snapback]567853[/snapback]
Really? I missed that? How did they change the definition.

At least one part was you had to pitch at least 9 innings. Andy Hawkins lost a no-hitter against the White Sox in Chicago because the Sox managed to squeeze out a run (walk/error), and the Sox never came to bat in the 9th.