• The KillerFrogs

Ump blows perfect game on last out...

TCUExaminer

Contributor
QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jun 3 2010, 02:52 PM) [snapback]567853[/snapback]
Really? I missed that? How did they change the definition.

For starters, they issued that it had to be a complete game and the pitcher had to go at least nine innings. That eliminated several "losing no-hitters" where the pitcher was pitching for the visiting team. On top of that, it removed several no-hitters that were carried into extra innings and the first hit came after the ninth.

Andy Hawkins (losing) and Melido Perez (7 innings) both lost no-hitters from 1990 because of this rule change.

Side note -- didn't realize this change occurred in 1992.

QUOTE(RSF @ Jun 3 2010, 04:00 PM) [snapback]567868[/snapback]
At least one part was you had to pitch at least 9 innings. Andy Hawkins lost a no-hitter against the White Sox in Chicago because the Sox managed to squeeze out a run (walk/error), and the Sox never came to bat in the 9th.

Not only did they squeeze out one run without a hit, they actually managed to score 4 without getting a hit ...

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
QUOTE(BogeyGolf7 @ Jun 3 2010, 11:57 AM) [snapback]567741[/snapback]
had Cabrera stayed home and just let the 2B field that ball this wouldnt be an issue
besides it looks to me that Galarrage bobbles the ball after he catches it - I know that the umpire says he was wrong

Shouldn't have been an issue either way.

From now of whenever Joyce makes a questionable call he is going to hear "are you sure" from the coaches and players.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Duquesne Frog @ Jun 3 2010, 03:06 PM) [snapback]567876[/snapback]
Not only did they squeeze out one run without a hit, they actually managed to score 4 without getting a hit ...

yeah...was doing that from memory....actually vaguely remember watching that game.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(TCUExaminer @ Jun 3 2010, 03:04 PM) [snapback]567873[/snapback]
That eliminated several "losing no-hitters" where the pitcher was pitching for the visiting team.

The others make sense, but I don't like that. Not that pitcher's fault he was on the visiting team. Should be a complete game (though not a rain-shortened game) IMO.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Jun 3 2010, 03:41 PM) [snapback]567913[/snapback]
There is a TCU connection in there.....

A dead one, anyways.......

MO Frogs

Ok so Ive been thinking long and hard about this call. Honestly what do you do to make it right?

Say if your the commish.

The way I see it there are two options, #1 - Reverse the call and give him the perfect game, #2 - do nothing and let it stand. We all know the facts...it was a blown call and the pitcher "did" in fact throw a perfect game! But then there is a human element to baseball.

Either way its an aberration to baseball...if you change the call it opens up a can of worms..if you leave it be it alters a historical baseball event. Its an honest to goodness lose-lose situation for the game.

However, I think that given such a situation were you are going to lose either way you go. So if your going to be wrong either way you go, its better to be wrong on the side of right.

He earned a perfect game...give it to him, no rules change. Dont rob him of history on a technicallity. Err on the side of whats right and deal with the after effects.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(MO Frogs @ Jun 3 2010, 05:47 PM) [snapback]567998[/snapback]
Ok so Ive been thinking long and hard about this call. Honestly what do you do to make it right?

Say if your the commish.

The way I see it there are two options, #1 - Reverse the call and give him the perfect game, #2 - do nothing and let it stand. We all know the facts...it was a blown call and the pitcher "did" in fact throw a perfect game! But then there is a human element to baseball.

Either way its an aberration to baseball...if you change the call it opens up a can of worms..if you leave it be it alters a historical baseball event. Its an honest to goodness lose-lose situation for the game.

However, I think that given such a situation were you are going to lose either way you go. So if your going to be wrong either way you go, its better to be wrong on the side of right.

He earned a perfect game...give it to him, no rules change. Dont rob him of history on a technicallity. Err on the side of whats right and deal with the after effects.

What's crazy is that Selig probably had these exact thoughts (well put, BTW). And he still made the wrong call.
Selig needed to do what his umpires preach in umpire school - common sense and fair play rule over EVERY unorthodox situation.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(2314 @ Jun 3 2010, 06:20 PM) [snapback]568013[/snapback]
What's crazy is that Selig probably had these exact thoughts (well put, BTW). And he still made the wrong call.
Selig needed to do what his umpires preach in umpire school - common sense and fair play rule over EVERY unorthodox situation.

You can't change that call, you just can't. Opens up a can of worms that shouldn't be opened. Besides, changing the call changes nothing that Galarraga did in my opinion. He knows he threw a perfect game and so does everybody else that saw it. On man making the wrong gesture with his hands can't take that away. I think he's been simply awesome in the way he's reacted to the situation.

mikeofma

QUOTE(berryfrog95 @ Jun 3 2010, 09:01 AM) [snapback]567649[/snapback]
I'm still smiling too as a Royals fan growing up in Kansas City. Don was on Mike and Mike in the morning espn radio, this morning reliving his missed call.

Along those lines, didn't MLB change Roberto Clemente's presumed 3000 hit in which the score-keeper scored it an error, Clemente dies in the off-season stuck on 2999 and MLB changed it from an error back to a hit for #3000.....it was a nice move, might not parallel this occurence but MLB has made a change before.....we'll see.

Yes finally someone who remembers. I've been saying this all day and no one remembers.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 3 2010, 07:39 PM) [snapback]568037[/snapback]
I think he's been simply awesome in the way he's reacted to the situation.

The new Corvette didn't hurt ...

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jun 3 2010, 07:45 PM) [snapback]568043[/snapback]
The new Corvette didn't hurt ...

The new Corvette was much appreciated I'm sure, but his reaction to what happened has been great since last night, long before the Corvette was given to him.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Longfrog @ Jun 2 2010, 10:15 PM) [snapback]567501[/snapback]
Somewhere, Don Denkinger is smiling a little...

I'd be willing to bet that he was doing the exact opposite of that.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 3 2010, 07:39 PM) [snapback]568037[/snapback]
You can't change that call, you just can't. Opens up a can of worms that shouldn't be opened. Besides, changing the call changes nothing that Galarraga did in my opinion. He knows he threw a perfect game and so does everybody else that saw it. On man making the wrong gesture with his hands can't take that away. I think he's been simply awesome in the way he's reacted to the situation.

You are a true baseball man. Some people will take that as a positive, while others will see it as a negative.
But one HUGE positive came from this as you pointed out. Finally, in the world of selfish pro sports, Galarraga's immediate actions and sportsmanship set an exemplary example for kids and young players.
What a class act.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(2314 @ Jun 3 2010, 08:07 PM) [snapback]568058[/snapback]
You are a true baseball man. Some people will take that as a positive, while others will see it as a negative.

That's an odd thing to say.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 3 2010, 09:10 PM) [snapback]568104[/snapback]
That's an odd thing to say.

I just mean you are towing the company line as a baseball lifer. You are programmed to make that remark.
I understand.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(2314 @ Jun 3 2010, 09:12 PM) [snapback]568110[/snapback]
I just mean you are towing the company line as a baseball lifer. You are programmed to make that remark.
I understand.

No, I don't think you do.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 3 2010, 09:56 PM) [snapback]568186[/snapback]
No, I don't think you do.

Of course I don't since I have never lived the life. I meant "understand" as I understand why you feel that way. Good gosh Mr. Literal. :wacko: