• The KillerFrogs

Tennessee could not hire an assistant coach?

YCBJ Frog

QUOTE(Frostie @ Jan 14 2010, 01:01 PM) [snapback]503267[/snapback]
Good grief, it is known by all that UT won a national championship with a freak of an athlete, it is also well documented that the best thing Mack did was not to Coach him, but to just let him do his thing. You cannot dispute this fact!! There is not a lot of oxygen under Mack's desk and it is clouding your judgement.

Vince Young going to Texas wasn't the result of great recruiting by Mack Brown. Joe McKnight going to USC from LSU's back yard while being recruited by 5 closer schools that had competed for or won national championships recently was great recruiting on Hollywood/Seattle Pete's part. Young was born to a poor family in Houston, TX and was a tremendous high school athlete. Texas was the closest school (so he could be close to his family and grandmother) with a good chance of him playing on a big stage, as he did twice in Rose Bowl Stadium. The only other options closer for his family were Houston and TAMU, neither of which gave him the big stage to showcase his talents and get a high draft pick. Let's stop crediting Mack with getting Vince to come to Austin.

YCBJ Frog

QUOTE(gdu @ Jan 14 2010, 01:22 PM) [snapback]503288[/snapback]
Done me some good? I never have a problem with frog fans in person, only here. You know why? Most frog fans I meet don't bring up Texas. And even when they do, it is easier to have a level-headed conversation about them in person where emotions are easier to convey. On here, it's easy for everyone to act like [ Craig James]s and not have to deal with it.

We did get a couple weird looks from folks on the trip when we told them my fiance went to Texas, but after sitting and chatting with them everyone got along great. My fiance, who has no other ties to TCU than me, is a bigger TCU fan than most of the kids I graduated from TCU with.

I love meeting TCU people. I met alot of wonderful TCU folks on this trip (just like every trip I go on - it is amazing where you meet TCU folks all over the world when you are wearing TCU gear).

Next time you see me, stop and say hey. I have no idea who you are but I love to bull[Deleted] and talk some TCU football.

Stop talking about your fat girlfriend.

Signed,

Mike Leach
Unemployed Pirate Captain

gdu

QUOTE(you_can @ Jan 15 2010, 12:02 AM) [snapback]503481[/snapback]
Vince Young going to Texas wasn't the result of great recruiting by Mack Brown. Joe McKnight going to USC from LSU's back yard while being recruited by 5 closer schools that had competed for or won national championships recently was great recruiting on Hollywood/Seattle Pete's part. Young was born to a poor family in Houston, TX and was a tremendous high school athlete. Texas was the closest school (so he could be close to his family and grandmother) with a good chance of him playing on a big stage, as he did twice in Rose Bowl Stadium. The only other options closer for his family were Houston and TAMU, neither of which gave him the big stage to showcase his talents and get a high draft pick. Let's stop crediting Mack with getting Vince to come to Austin.

Good point. All of the poor kids from Texas who wanted a big stage before Mack got there stayed home too. They never went to Miami, FSU, OU, Notre Dame, etc...

USC cheated to get McKnight. I've never heard a single allegation of Texas going that to get VY.

YCBJ Frog

QUOTE(gdu @ Jan 14 2010, 06:25 PM) [snapback]503484[/snapback]
Good point. All of the poor kids from Texas who wanted a big stage before Mack got there stayed home too. They never went to Miami, FSU, OU, Notre Dame, etc...

USC cheated to get McKnight. I've never heard a single allegation of Texas going that to get VY.

Not saying they always stay in state, but in his case if there was a big school closer, he would've gone there. Unless Mack Brown had something to do with the Young family being from Houston, Vince was his recruit to lose. It was no feat to get him.

And McKnight only started getting things from USC after he was playing there. The closest thing to impropriety in recruiting him to USC was a phone call from Reggie Bush, which may or may not have happened.

gdu

QUOTE(you_can @ Jan 15 2010, 12:34 AM) [snapback]503491[/snapback]
Not saying they always stay in state, but in his case if there was a big school closer, he would've gone there. Unless Mack Brown had something to do with the Young family being from Houston, Vince was his recruit to lose. It was no feat to get him.

And McKnight only started getting things from USC after he was playing there. The closest thing to impropriety in recruiting him to USC was a phone call from Reggie Bush, which may or may not have happened.

You have NO IDEA what you are talking about. At all.

YCBJ Frog

QUOTE(gdu @ Jan 14 2010, 06:53 PM) [snapback]503499[/snapback]
You have NO IDEA what you are talking about. At all.

Awesome. Instead of just saying I have no idea what I'm talking about, why don't you tell us where I said something incorrect above.

(Do you realize that in that post you just did what you are accusing others of doing?)

gdu

QUOTE(you_can @ Jan 15 2010, 01:25 AM) [snapback]503509[/snapback]
Awesome. Instead of just saying I have no idea what I'm talking about, why don't you tell us where I said something incorrect above.
(Do you realize that in that post you just did what you are accusing others of doing?)

No, you see, bc I do know a little about VY's recruitment and the things you have said reek of somebody who doesn't have a clue. You have made up an explanation that fits in with your beliefs and it not based on anything that actually happened.

I didn't do what you did all. You pretended to know something. I am calling you out as a straight up liar. You don't know one thing about VY's recruitment. Just say so and move on. There is no shame in it. Most people, even huge fans, don't know much about people's recruitment. But there is no need to lie and pretend you do.

Say you don't like Texas or Mack or whatever, but don't pretend you have any clue about Mack's recruitment of VY, because you obviously don't.

YCBJ Frog

QUOTE(gdu @ Jan 14 2010, 07:32 PM) [snapback]503513[/snapback]
No, you see, bc I do know a little about VY's recruitment and the things you have said reek of somebody who doesn't have a clue. You have made up an explanation that fits in with your beliefs and it not based on anything that actually happened.

I didn't do what you did all. You pretended to know something. I am calling you out as a straight up liar. You don't know one thing about VY's recruitment. Just say so and move on. There is no shame in it. Most people, even huge fans, don't know much about people's recruitment. But there is no need to lie and pretend you do.

Say you don't like Texas or Mack or whatever, but don't pretend you have any clue about Mack's recruitment of VY, because you obviously don't.

Wow, you still haven't substantiated your last statement. Please, educate us. What did I say that was incorrect? Stop crawfishing and making generalizations. Man up and say something of substance.

You're lame as hell, man. Such a coward.

OmniscienceFrog

QUOTE(gdu @ Jan 14 2010, 12:49 PM) [snapback]503254[/snapback]
I never said he wasn't right about Muschamp being an assistant coach. Go back and read what I actually wrote. Context matters and he isn't "just" an assistant coach. If he were "just" an assistant coach, he wouldn't have the pay he does now, the contract, or the spot as the next head coach at Texas and it is highly likely that he would have left for the TN job. But since he is not "just" a head coach, he has all those things and is not leaving.

What is the need for your "context"? Besides, if he's not the head coach he IS just an assistant. If he hangs around UT until Mack quits and becomes the head coach, THEN he will be the head coach and more than just an assistant, but now he's not. You just don't like the fact that some folks don't look at him as somebody really special.

QUOTE(gdu @ Jan 14 2010, 12:49 PM) [snapback]503254[/snapback]
There are head coaches who also coordinate one side of the ball. Would you call them just coordinators?

Ummmmm, if they have the title of HEAD COACH and the bottom line rests with them, no. Do you call all coordinators pseudo head coaches?

P

peterbecket

Hey gdu,

I thought coaches want to play in front of the most people. Tennessee has a bigger crowd/stadium than Texas. I would think a coach would jump at that in a heartbeat. I learned about this on Killerfrogs. People taught me that GP would leave TCU because of the opportunity to play in front of larger crowds.

gdu

QUOTE(you_can @ Jan 15 2010, 01:37 AM) [snapback]503518[/snapback]
Wow, you still haven't substantiated your last statement. Please, educate us. What did I say that was incorrect? Stop crawfishing and making generalizations. Man up and say something of substance.
You're lame as hell, man. Such a coward.

haha. Way to deflect. You made the first statement. How would you have any idea? Seriously.

gdu

QUOTE(OmniscienceFrog @ Jan 15 2010, 01:39 AM) [snapback]503520[/snapback]
What is the need for your "context"? Besides, if he's not the head coach he IS just an assistant. If he hangs around UT until Mack quits and becomes the head coach, THEN he will be the head coach and more than just an assistant, but now he's not. You just don't like the fact that some folks don't look at him as somebody really special.
Ummmmm, if they have the title of HEAD COACH and the bottom line rests with them, no. Do you call all coordinators pseudo head coaches?

Are you that stupid or are you just pretending to waste everyone's time?

Do you not recongize the difference between coordinators and other assistants? What about between assistants and head coaches in waiting?

If not, I can save my time.

This has nothing to do with what I think of him as a coach. It has to do with his contract, title, and why his situation is differnent from that of someone who is "just" an assistant coach. "Just" has an important meaning, regardless of what you are pretending.

gdu

QUOTE(peterbecket @ Jan 15 2010, 01:48 AM) [snapback]503523[/snapback]
Hey gdu,

I thought coaches want to play in front of the most people. Tennessee has a bigger crowd/stadium than Texas. I would think a coach would jump at that in a heartbeat. I learned about this on Killerfrogs. People taught me that GP would leave TCU because of the opportunity to play in front of larger crowds.

Somebody on here said that, but it wasn't me. Obviously it isn't true or WM would've left Texas for TN and Kiffin wouldn't have left TN for USC.

What is your point and why is it addressing me?

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(gdu @ Jan 14 2010, 08:20 PM) [snapback]503543[/snapback]
Somebody on here said that, but it wasn't me. Obviously it isn't true or WM would've left Texas for TN and Kiffin wouldn't have left TN for USC.

What is your point and why is it addressing me?

You know, it's finally reached the point where I'm more annoyed by the people who go out of their way to argue with gdu, often for things that he didn't really even say, than I am by gdu himself.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(RSF @ Jan 14 2010, 11:53 AM) [snapback]503214[/snapback]
Anybody want to double down on 60 gdu posts?

Always bet on the obsessive......

Frostie

Here is what Merrill Hoge, ESPN Analyst has to say about Vince's recruitment.

"He's a baby. He's a soft baby. He's been a baby since they .... I stumbled across people who recruited him in college. They really tried to get him to go to Oklahoma. One of reasons they stopped their recruiting process was because he was such a baby . . . He was the most immature crybaby they ever met. He was soft; he wasn't tough."

After seeing his sideline fit two years ago how can you doubt the statement above. Sounds like Mackie didn't have a lot of competition in recruiting Vince. Bottom line Mack doesn't graduate his student athletes and he doesn't develop them. I don't know what his graduation rates are today but at the end of 2007 he had the lowest graduation rates of all Big 12 schools. Not sure why TCU and other schools don't go to some of these parents house and show them how little Mack cares about his athletes. I am not naive, these are kids and they are going to make mistakes, however a lot more mistakes are occuring in UT land than elsewhere. Mack cares about Mack end of story.

gdu

QUOTE(Frostie @ Jan 15 2010, 02:31 AM) [snapback]503558[/snapback]
Here is what Merrill Hoge, ESPN Analyst has to say about Vince's recruitment.

"He's a baby. He's a soft baby. He's been a baby since they .... I stumbled across people who recruited him in college. They really tried to get him to go to Oklahoma. One of reasons they stopped their recruiting process was because he was such a baby . . . He was the most immature crybaby they ever met. He was soft; he wasn't tough."

After seeing his sideline fit two years ago how can you doubt the statement above. Sounds like Mackie didn't have a lot of competition in recruiting Vince. Bottom line Mack doesn't graduate his student athletes and he doesn't develop them. I don't know what his graduation rates are today but at the end of 2007 he had the lowest graduation rates of all Big 12 schools. Not sure why TCU and other schools don't go to some of these parents house and show them how little Mack cares about his athletes. I am not naive, these are kids and they are going to make mistakes, however a lot more mistakes are occuring in UT land than elsewhere. Mack cares about Mack end of story.

Wow. Talk about irrelevant. Hoge has always been a VY hater. Nobody with a brain takes him serious on anything he says about VY.

So, let's get it all straight:

Mack didn't have to do anything to recruit him bc he was from Houston
VY was so awesome, that he alone won the MNC
VY was such a baby in hs, that no one even wanted him
VY was terrible for a year and a half in college, but Mack doesn't develop players

gdu

QUOTE(Bandwagon @ Jan 15 2010, 02:36 AM) [snapback]503564[/snapback]
Get this [Deleted] off of this TCU board. Pathetic and embarrassing.

Sorry GDU, most of these muppets are lost in la-la land.

I'm with you. This was a stupid an pointless thread. Though TN does look pretty bad right now.

P

peterbecket

QUOTE(gdu @ Jan 14 2010, 08:39 PM) [snapback]503567[/snapback]
I'm with you. This was a stupid an pointless thread. Though TN does look pretty bad right now.

Bingo. You could of skipped all the garbage between my first post and now. My point still remains valid as usual. What is sad is all the garbage everyone has had to wade through.