• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs. Siena Game Thread (FW Regional Game 2)

jake102

How did Finnegan give up a run yesterday? I've been stranded in wedding hell 16 hours from FW and missed the entire game.

Surprised we gave up a run... Shocked we only scores two.

Tshirt Fan

I had a heart attack glancing over the comments in this thread after seeing the "Three National Seeds Lose" thread title on the main page.

A 2-1 win I'll take.

Clayton Bigsby

Jake102 said:
How did Finnegan give up a run yesterday? I've been stranded in wedding hell 16 hours from FW and missed the entire game.

Had a runner on and then gave up a triple

Pharm Frog

Jake102 said:

First….Finn gave up a chump single and then a line drive triple down into the RF corner that Fitz bobbled a bit (probably wouldn't have made a difference).

Secondly, not sure why you'd be shocked with us scoring two runs in 11 innings.  We could have had more (and probably should have) but I certainly don't expect it.

Clayton Bigsby

Pharm Frog said:

First.Finn gave up a chump single and then a line drive triple down into the RF corner that Fitz bobbled a bit (probably wouldn't have made a difference).

Secondly, not sure why you'd be shocked with us scoring two runs in 11 innings.  We could have had more (and probably should have) but I certainly don't expect it.
Had bases juiced with no outs and didn't score. Can't do that again.

jake102

Pharm Frog said:

First.Finn gave up a chump single and then a line drive triple down into the RF corner that Fitz bobbled a bit (probably wouldn't have made a difference).

It was Siena... I think their starter had an era close to 5. I expected about 5 runs.

1 through 9 is shocking to me. We aren't a hitting powerhouse, but we've been pretty good the second half of the year. Able to find runs consistently

Pharm Frog

Jake102 said:
What? Maybe I'm glad I couldn't watch

You would have really liked our bases loaded, one out, line drive at the third baseman….  Runner at third diving back into third because he knew to make the line drive go through.  Runner at second diving back into second because he knew to make a line drive go through.  Runner at first heading for second and back-picked to end the inning because the line drive didn't go through.

Clayton Bigsby

Jake102 said:
What? Maybe I'm glad I couldn't watch
Yeah. Then K'd and hit into a 6-3 double play. It wasn't a pretty game (aside from Keaton's gem in the 8th to save the game). I don't watch a lot of baseball, but we looked at a lot of first pitch strikes from a guy that was well over 100 pitches.

masterfrog

Pharm Frog said:

You would have really liked our bases loaded, one out, line drive at the third baseman….  Runner at third diving back into third because he knew to make the line drive go through.  Runner at second diving back into second because he knew to make a line drive go through.  Runner at first heading for second and back-picked to end the inning because the line drive didn't go through.

Most people would be able to guess the runner that was on first on the first try.

SnoSki

Jake102 said:

For some reason, if a guy throws a 83 MPH fastball and junk balls 70-80, we can't touch him

SnoSki

Jake102 said:
It was Siena... I think their starter had an era close to 5. I expected about 5 runs.

1 through 9 is shocking to me. We aren't a hitting powerhouse, but we've been pretty good the second half of the year. Able to find runs consistently

We hit the ball very hard all game, their outfielders made some great plays, their 3B made some good grabs. All robbed us of some easy runs. Couple of those get through and we win 5-1, 6-1 or so

Pharm Frog

Clayton Bigsby said:
Yeah. Then K'd and hit into a 6-3 double play. It wasn't a pretty game (aside from Keaton's gem in the 8th to save the game). I don't watch a lot of baseball, but we looked at a lot of first pitch strikes from a guy that was well over 100 pitches.

Two theories on this:  first, it's possible that we when get tense or lose a bit of confidence, we look at a lot of early count, hittable pitches.  Secondly, it's also possible that this was a planned plate approach.  What makes me think the first may be more accurate is KJones first pitch, full cut pop up to lead off the 11th.  One would think if you were still in work the pitcher over mode, you would certainly have put that in play with your lead off man.

Purp

Pharm Frog said:

Two theories on this:  first, it's possible that we when get tense or lose a bit of confidence, we look at a lot of early count, hittable pitches.  Secondly, it's also possible that this was a planned plate approach.  What makes me think the first may be more accurate is KJones first pitch, full cut pop up to lead off the 11th.  One would think if you were still in work the pitcher over mode, you would certainly have put that in play with your lead off man.
For me, "work the pitcher" mode stops when you get into the bullpen. You still want disciplined plate appearances, but if you get a 1st pitch you can drive on their 3rd pitcher you hit it hard somewhere. I kinda lean toward your 2nd option.

PO Frog

SnoSki said:

For some reason, if a guy throws a 83 MPH fastball and junk balls 70-80, we can't touch him
I keep seeing people say this, but that guy last night was consistently 88-92 with a pretty solid breaking ball. I also think it's crazy that much of our fan base looks at the radar gun and uses that to make the determination on how many runs we should score. It doesn't work that way. Ask Preston Morrison.