• The KillerFrogs

TCU-Ohio State gets ABC Primetime, UT to play Alabama, other non-conference notes

Casey T

Being one of those "pompous" fans I believe that with everything we know up to this point, being the off season, it would be hard to deny that Ohio State appears to have more talent on the roster than TCU. I do not believe we as a fan base will be looking passed this game at all, but I do think most neutral observers would agree at this point that Ohio State appears to have more talent.

Can you give a brief analysis on your returning starters and returning players who had significant play time last year? From what I've read, you'll have about a dozen coming back.

netty2424

1.) Fancy Tickets to JerryWorld: $500 each. $1000 for two. Travel- Another $500.

2.) Tickets on SW to Aruba: $450/RT each. $900 all day. Plus lodgings- $500.

Methinks the bar tab for option #2 will quickly eat up the $100 we save... But, TCU is 12-1 when we are in Aruba for a game. I think the Athletic Department ought to spring for us to be sent thither, simply to ensure victory.
Didn't realize Aruba was still a thing. Nice place?

Ear worm.......Aruba, Jamaica, ooooohh I wanna take ya to Bermuda, Bahamas, c'mon pretty momma.......

netty2424

Wr yes I would say TCU has the edge, quarterback I would disagree. Dwayne Haskins is +2200 odds to win the Heisman and will be one of most talented quarterbacks Ohio State has had in years as far as pure passing ability goes. I believe Ohio States true edge will come from the a defensive line that may be more talented than last year up against a relatively inexperienced offensive line.

Not sure there is really much of an edge for either QB.

Looking back at 247 Rankings, since that was the lowest ranking*** for both TCU and tOSU 'current' QB's, to first year D1 stats:

Dwayne Haskins(redshirt 2016, Soph) :
6'3", 218lbs
Pro style ranked 7
Limited college experience.
2017- appeared in 8 games, 565 yards total, 5 of those games were at home representing 400 yards, and 3 of 4 TD's at home. Played against 1 AP ranked opponent.

Shawn Robinson(no redshirt, Soph)**:
6'2", 225lbs
Dual threat ranked 6,
Limited college experience.
2017 - W against Texas Tech as a starter, appeared in 6 games, 184 yards total, 2 of those ganes were at home. 1 of 3 TD's at home. Played against 1 AP ranked opponent.

To tOSU, this is a tough game they might overlook somewhat . To TCU it's a huge game that gives us another win against a blue blood.

For both, it can be that OOC catalyst into a CFP birth.

**assuming SR is named the starter.
EDIT:*** correction, ESPN had Shawn Robinson ranked 8.

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

Dwayne Haskins is +2200 odds to win the Heisman .
Guessing you don’t get the betting line concept - first, he is about +3500 on most sites I have seen and second, that makes him about 15th on the list and way behind the favorite at +750. He is not the top QBs on the list. Actually I think he may about as low on the list for a starting QB at tOSU in a decade- it could just say generic “tOSU starter” instead a specific player and it would have about those odds.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Frog-in-law1995

Being one of those "pompous" fans I believe that with everything we know up to this point, being the off season, it would be hard to deny that Ohio State appears to have more talent on the roster than TCU. I do not believe we as a fan base will be looking passed this game at all, but I do think most neutral observers would agree at this point that Ohio State appears to have more talent.

Yeah, but we spell better.

Can you give a brief analysis on your returning starters and returning players who had significant play time last year? From what I've read, you'll have about a dozen coming back.
At quarterback, JT Barrett is gone and people are excited about Haskins. He will be the first pro style quarterback Ohio State has had in a while. Now that Joe Burrow has transferred to LSU, the depth is not as it has been in previous years. At receiver we have all 6 who saw significant time returning, granted Ohio State receivers have been under performing since the 2014 championship season. Many hope that will change with JT Barrett gone. At running back there is JK Dobbins and Mike Weber returning. Right now on the surface it is being said that there will be an even split of carries between the two, many believe the true sophomore JK Dobbins will pull away with the majority of the carries. At offensive line, the only player who did not have significant playing time last year was red shirt senior who will be playing center. Unlike previous years, this offensive line should have depth in case of injury.
On defense the defensive line should lead the way again this year. It will be hard for teams to double team Nick Bosa like they did his older brother. Chase Young is looking to be the next breakout Ohio State defensive end, although he did see limited reps last year. At defensive tackle Dre'Mont Jones is a returning starter and Robert Landers rotated last year. At linebacker an achilles injury to middle linebacker Tuf Borland, that will most likely keep him out of the TCU game, will hurt the linebacking corp as they performed much better last year when he started. The linebacker position has me the most worried because of injury and lack of experience. Not to mention, linebacker play was one of the many reasons I had to drink my sorrows away last year against Iowa. In the defensive backfield the corners both have significant experience as they started or rotated last year. The biggest question mark will be at strong safety with true sophomore Isaiah Pryor who has no significant playing time at the position.

netty2424

At quarterback, JT Barrett is gone and people are excited about Haskins. He will be the first pro style quarterback Ohio State has had in a while. Now that Joe Burrow has transferred to LSU, the depth is not as it has been in previous years. At receiver we have all 6 who saw significant time returning, granted Ohio State receivers have been under performing since the 2014 championship season. Many hope that will change with JT Barrett gone. At running back there is JK Dobbins and Mike Weber returning. Right now on the surface it is being said that there will be an even split of carries between the two, many believe the true sophomore JK Dobbins will pull away with the majority of the carries. At offensive line, the only player who did not have significant playing time last year was red shirt senior who will be playing center. Unlike previous years, this offensive line should have depth in case of injury.
On defense the defensive line should lead the way again this year. It will be hard for teams to double team Nick Bosa like they did his older brother. Chase Young is looking to be the next breakout Ohio State defensive end, although he did see limited reps last year. At defensive tackle Dre'Mont Jones is a returning starter and Robert Landers rotated last year. At linebacker an achilles injury to middle linebacker Tuf Borland, that will most likely keep him out of the TCU game, will hurt the linebacking corp as they performed much better last year when he started. The linebacker position has me the most worried because of injury and lack of experience. Not to mention, linebacker play was one of the many reasons I had to drink my sorrows away last year against Iowa. In the defensive backfield the corners both have significant experience as they started or rotated last year. The biggest question mark will be at strong safety with true sophomore Isaiah Pryor who has no significant playing time at the position.
What's the story on 5* LB Baron Browning? Local kid who spent a ton of time on TCU campus before committing to tOSU.

What's the story on 5* LB Baron Browning? Local kid who spent a ton of time on TCU campus before committing to tOSU.
He is projected to start with Tuf Borland injured, possibly in rotation with Justin Hilliard. Played only on special teams last year. He was a huge get in recruiting so hopefully he has a break out year this year.

Guessing you don’t get the betting line concept - first, he is about +3500 on most sites I have seen and second, that makes him about 15th on the list and way behind the favorite at +750. He is not the top QBs on the list. Actually I think he may about as low on the list for a starting QB at tOSU in a decade- it could just say generic “tOSU starter” instead a specific player and it would have about those odds.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.
I checked Bovada immediately before posting and it was at +2200. It may have been higher earlier when the QB battle wasn't settled between him and Burrow. I am not saying I think he will win the Heisman, I am simply comparing him to Robinson who I did not see listed on Bovada to bet on for the Heisman.

Purp

I checked Bovada immediately before posting and it was at +2200. It may have been higher earlier when the QB battle wasn't settled between him and Burrow. I am not saying I think he will win the Heisman, I am simply comparing him to Robinson who I did not see listed on Bovada to bet on for the Heisman.
Bovada clearly knows nobody would place bets on Shawn Robinson whether he is or isn't better than the QB at tOSU. Using Vegas odds for the Heisman to compare talent/quality at the QB position is like using the Academy Awards to measure the quality of movies. Tommy Boy, Major League, and CaddyShack won exactly ZERO Oscars, but are among the greatest movies ever made.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Bovada clearly knows nobody would place bets on Shawn Robinson whether he is or isn't better than the QB at tOSU. Using Vegas odds for the Heisman to compare talent/quality at the QB position is like using the Academy Awards to measure the quality of movies. Tommy Boy, Major League, and CaddyShack won exactly ZERO Oscars, but are among the greatest movies ever made.
And Tremors.

I understand that the odds will be skewed in Ohio State players favor some due to having the brand name, but that doesn't mean it can be completely discredited. There are other quarterbacks on that list of players to bet on from schools that don't have the high power brand name. I'm just using the information we have now on both players, albeit limited, to try to make an argument to the original reply to my post that said TCU had the advantage at quarterback. The movies you mentioned not winning, especially Tommy Boy, is one of the many reasons I pay no attention to the Oscars.

Last edited:

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I understand that the odds will be skewed in Ohio State players favor some due to having the brand name, but that doesn't mean it can be completely discredited. There are other quarterbacks on that list of players to bet on from schools that don't have the high power brand name. I'm just using the information we have now on both players, albeit limited, to try to make an argument to the original reply to my post that said TCU had the advantage at quarterback.
Ok, you’re Wexahu.

Purp

I understand that the odds will be skewed in Ohio State players favor some due to having the brand name, but that doesn't mean it can be completely discredited. There are other quarterbacks on that list of players to bet on from schools that don't have the high power brand name. I'm just using the information we have now on both players, albeit limited, to try to make an argument to the original reply to my post that said TCU had the advantage at quarterback. The movies you mentioned not winning, especially Tommy Boy, is one of the many reasons I pay no attention to the Oscars.
How many of those quarterbacks from other schools without brand recognition are about to start for their first year of their career?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

Not saying TCU will win, but this is almost word for word what we heard from Wisconsin prior to the Rose Bowl when the talent level disparity was allegedly off the charts...