• The KillerFrogs

TCU finishes #58 in Athletics Rankings. #8 of 10 in Big 12

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I don't know what cutting it is here for TCU... my guess is that if we are near elite in football, men's basketball, and baseball which means New Year's Six, Sweet 16 quality basketball, and CWS 4 out of 8 years, then we are more than good. The financial investment is there for sure, being around #40 on the Director's Cup annually is probably also a good number to shoot for. #58 of 66, not so much.
Stanford, who almost always wins or finishes in the top 5, sponsors 35 Varsity sports including field hockey and squash.

We sponsor 21.

So unless the BOT approved and funds more sports,we will never will the award and if we do add a few, you can bet they'll be relatively inexpensive sports like gymnastics

LeagueCityFrog

Stanford, who almost always wins or finishes in the top 5, sponsors 35 Varsity sports including field hockey and squash.

We sponsor 21.

So unless the BOT approved and funds more sports,we will never will the award and if we do add a few, you can bet they'll be relatively inexpensive sports like gymnastics

I agree...about #40 is probably near TCU's peak... that being said, I know softball is probably somewhere around $45 million hard cost for TCU and Title 9.... and no...I'm not writing that check, but it would compliment TCU baseball and they could alternate home weekend series in Fort Worth... It is a huge high school sport now... and the exposure on ESPN in May and June is real for the schools that participate vs women's lacrosse or rowing. TCU would be perfect school for girl's softball especially when you consider the talent in it's own home market. Cut swimming, both programs, and add softball in its replacement.

Frog-in-law1995

They count the 10 men’s sports and 10 women’s sports with the highest finishes in the top 25 for each school. Top 25 finishes in fencing (in which only 26 schools compete), women’s water polo (in which only 33 schools compete), men’s water polo (in which only 22 schools compete), men’s gymnastics (in which only 15 schools compete), and men’s and women’s cross country (in which 30 teams compete) count the same as top 25 finishes in football and men’s basketball. So schools that sponsor those sports have a crazy advantage over schools that don’t. And TCU doesn’t even sponsor 10 men’s sports.

Froglaw

Every year someone posts the ranking and every year the same wishes for additional men's and women's sports are posted.

Absent the donation of a winning multi-state power ball ticket it ain't happening.

We need to improve what we have now and attend those team's games.

Let Stanford and Texas fight it out in wrestling for the flavour of the year all round, never made sports center, soon to be bankrupt retailer, trophy!

Frog-in-law1995

I think we should start up men’s gymnastics and men’s water polo programs. Zero funding, no coach, no facilities, no uniforms, no practices, and we forfeit every single match. Clearly the worst program in the country in both sports. Currently, that would be good enough to finish each season as the 16th- and 23rd-ranked programs in the nation, which would get us more points than our top ten football program did.

Limp Lizard

And if we add other sports just to get high on some list that somebody makes up, other sports will get less and people here (many the same crying for more sports) will complain about lack of money spent on the big 3 sports. Expectations are so high now for the educational experiences at universities that TCU is having to charge a lot just to attend as it stands. How much more can TCU charge students?

The only sport that I am really disappointed in, now that Men's basketball is on the rise, is Track and Field, especially Men's T&F. Ever year for a long time we expected to finish in the top ten in the NCAA Championship. In 2001 it took two monumental blunders not to win two NCAA national championships (indoor and outdoor, each lost by 1 point!). One step would be to stop trying to be balanced with field events and get more sprinters!

And if we want to be like Stanford, we have to increase our graduate school by more that five fold! And we have two thousand more undergraduates than Stanford. And increase our endowment by more than 15-fold!!!.

Just be careful what you wish for.

westoverhillbilly

I know Donati will strive to make us a little better in this ranking, but hopefully not a lot.. if he starts focusing on this silly ranking at the expense of football and men’s basketball, his time at TCU will be a lot shorter..

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I think we should start up men’s gymnastics and men’s water polo programs. Zero funding, no coach, no facilities, no uniforms, no practices, and we forfeit every single match. Clearly the worst program in the country in both sports. Currently, that would be good enough to finish each season as the 16th- and 23rd-ranked programs in the nation, which would get us more points than our top ten football program did.
Or give me a budget of $200 on a wal mart gift card and we won't have to forfeit. We'll lose, but at least we'll be wearing matching lavendar cut off tees with Elmer's glue "tcu" on the front.

froginaustin

Where do the other B12 schools rank? UTx and OU near the top. WVU up there,too, is my guess. KU up there because of their basketball?

If TCU is #8, who’s 9 & 10?

Not that it matters, as many have mentioned above. Idle curiosity.

Frog-in-law1995

Where do the other B12 schools rank? UTx and OU near the top. WVU up there,too, is my guess. KU up there because of their basketball?

If TCU is #8, who’s 9 & 10?

Not that it matters, as many have mentioned above. Idle curiosity.

Texas 5
Aggie 10
OU 25
OK State 32
Tech 41
Baylor 43
IA State 56
Kansas 57
TCU 58
West Virginia 63
K State 72

We were 60 the year before, which is probably why we let CDC go.

Eight

one other point to remember is that tcu just recently got a full share from joining the big 12.

we didn't get a full share at the start and for years have been directing the bulk of the budget to the sport that brought the biggest return in regards to money and recognition. men's basketball really wasn't on a competitive level of funding until the recent hire of jamie when you compare salaries for staff and things such as recruiting.

FrogLifeYo

If being in the 50's ranking meens we can continue to fund football, basketball, and Baseball at a high level than I'm good with it. I happen to love that we know who we are and continue to be the best version of it we can be..

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
What a ludicrous pissing contest...

Women's Beach Volleyball ought to count 50x as much as Field Hockey, Curling, Cornhole, Women's Hockey, and Badminton. And Quidditch? Bejeesus...