• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

HToady

my point is that having the administration building there doesn't make it the main entrance to TCU anymore than saying where Sadler sits now makes it the entrance to TCU - the new design will make that road the driveway to get to where you park for the administration building and that is pretty much it.

Otherwise our current entrance is either of a combination of Cantey and North or Bellaire and South since that is where you "drive and park" to get to Sadler. No one parks on University and walks into Sadler hall from the direction that you are referring to as the entrance to the university - which is really right in the center of campus anyway and will still be there so people can walk past it on there way to wherever.

So I don't see your point at all...
Gee, I don't know, I guess the building where they raise the American and Texas flag everyday, the one that has the great big sign that says "Texas Christian University" on it, where they put the Christmas tree, where groups gather, etc. Maybe I got the semantics wrong by calling it the entrance...how about "the face of the University" Anyway, I guess that will all be on Berry Street now....right next to McDonalds...

flyfishingfrog

Gee, I don't know, I guess the building where they raise the American and Texas flag everyday, the one that has the great big sign that says "Texas Christian University" on it, where they put the Christmas tree, where groups gather, etc. Maybe I got the semantics wrong by calling it the entrance...how about "the face of the University" Anyway, I guess that will all be on Berry Street now....right next to McDonalds...
no - that building will still be there and they will still do all that same stuff - it just wont have the administration department in it anymore

not sure what your point is again but feel free to continue to make a big deal about moving a department from one building to another like THEY are the heart of the school and not just a group of people that work there...

TCUdirtbag

Upon further review, once that house on Berry Street sells it looks like TCU can build an additional wing to that new administrative building to even it out and fully wrap the building around an epic water fountain circle drive.

It would seem to make sense to me that the Student Affairs offices in Jarvis could (should?) be housed with the rest of Student Affairs in the Administration Building/complex, and Jarvis should be an entirely academic building along with its neighbor buildings. No insight, but maybe your idea above combined with this is part of the long-range plan.

TCUdirtbag

The main university Christmas tree was moved from Sadler to the Campus Commons in about 2010.

There are great big signs that say "Texas Christian University" at:
- the pedestrian crosswalk in front of Sadler and the East Mall
- the intersection of Cantey and University at Ed Landreth/Moudy
- the Sandage parking lot on Berry
- the track stadium at Bellaire and Bellaire Circle
- the pedestrian crosswalk in front of Schollmaier and the BLUU
- the plaza between Schollmaier and Frog Alley in front of the SW AGCS entrance

There are university seals all around the BLUU, which I believe makes it the only building with official university seals on the building. There is a huge set of gates with Texas Christian University at Stadium and Berry. Your flags in front of Sadler, the crosspoint of the university's "academic" and "residential" sides really has nothing to do with where the chancellor's desk sits. And the fact that there will be a McDonald's across from his new digs really makes zero difference.

Very few university guests visit the administration building. They go to the Admissions Center, Alumni Center, BLUU, Neeley School public event spaces in Smith, Fine Arts performance halls, or AGCS/Scholl/Lupton/Rec.

Really can't figure out why people are pulling their hair out over the location of the administration building. Really bizarre.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Would you prefer they keep the same setup in the lobby after Sadler is repurposed to the Honors College or prefer they relocate the same lobby setup to the new admin. building in every way, shape & manner?

Good question—for me? Leave it right where it is & don’t change an iota. The great seal of TCU in the floor, Sadlers huge oil painting overlooking the stuffed chair, the big wooden table with the mysterious box on it, the historic photograph lithos on the walls of previous decades of growth. I could go on but you get the idea.

History

Heritage

Just the way it oughta be

Deep Purple

There are great big signs that say "Texas Christian University" at:
- the pedestrian crosswalk in front of Sadler and the East Mall
- the intersection of Cantey and University at Ed Landreth/Moudy
- the Sandage parking lot on Berry
- the track stadium at Bellaire and Bellaire Circle
- the pedestrian crosswalk in front of Schollmaier and the BLUU
- the plaza between Schollmaier and Frog Alley in front of the SW AGCS entrance

There are university seals all around the BLUU, which I believe makes it the only building with official university seals on the building.
The Frog Alley parking garage also has university seals on its masonry walls, very similar to the BLUU.

There is a huge set of gates with Texas Christian University at Stadium and Berry.
Also a smaller set of gates at University and Cantey and four horned frog figures set in the street pavement at University and Berry.

Very few university guests visit the administration building. They go to the Admissions Center, Alumni Center, BLUU, Neeley School public event spaces in Smith, Fine Arts performance halls, or AGCS/Scholl/Lupton/Rec.
Bingo. Spot on.

Last edited:

TCUdirtbag

Summer 2018 construction projects:
- The $100 Million AGCS East Side expansion begins in June, opens September 2019 (renderings and info: http://TCUinhidef.con)
- The $2 Million football practice field project began in February and will be complete about mid-July 2018 (info: https://www.tcu360.com/2018/02/tcu-begins-2m-renovation-to-surface-of-football-practice-field/)
- The final fraternity and sorority houses in Worth Hills’ new Greek Village will be completed and open by August (info and renderings: http://ksq.design/spotlight-ksqs-design-for-25-greek-chapter-houses-at-tcu/)
- Construction has begun on 2 new residence halls in Worth Hills along Berry St. They will open in time for fall 2019.
- The $55 Million School of Music performance hall broke ground this month behind Brite. It is set to open in 2020 (info and renderings: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.star-telegram.com/news/business/growth/article189471584.html)
- The new College of Fine Arts building (fashion merchandising, interior design) broke ground this spring. Piers are in place and opening is expected in time for the spring 2020 semester (rendering: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVoJMyeU8AAwX6W?format=jpg&name=large)
- The $75 Million Neeley project is continuing with a 2020 completion date. The new buildings have topped out and some portions may open in 2019 (but don’t hold me to that) (info and renderings at: http://www.neeley.tcu.edu/boldfuture)
- The Kelly Alumni Center project is wrapping phase 1 now and the offices should be moving upstairs any day now. Phase 2 is renovation of the old space, which should be complete late this fall (article with more info and renderings: https://www.acced-i.org/news/395672...r-at-Texas-Christian-University-to-Expand.htm)
- The new administration building project won’t kick off for a number of months but it is in the works.
- The next major project coming down the pipe is the BLUU expansion/renovation. It is unlikely to begin until the new administration building (with the new auditorium) is near completion. That new auditorium attached to the new administration building must be completed first as the current BLUU plans call for, among other things, tearing down the 1-story auditorium to extend the 3-story south wing over the auditorium’s footprint. After the Admin and BLUU projects, you’ll see Sadler renovated for the Honors College, modifications to Scharbauer once Honors vacates it’s space there, and Jarvis repurposed for academic space with student services offices relocating to the expanded BLUU and career services relocated to the new administration building.

Brog

Thanks for the update on all these many projects. Can't help but wonder what the monthly mortgage payment is.