• The KillerFrogs

TCU and Coach Schlossnagle

mrford

I must express my disappointment in coach Schlossnagle and his loss to Kansas. There were multiple times within the loss (not defeat, as he lost the game for them) that I would second guess Schlossnagle's actions, but to be honest I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I have come to expect wins and dominance from him but in reality, I probably should not, as he did not achieve success as a player therefore he did not play at a high level. It must be difficult to make the correct decisions when you have no real playing experience at this level. It wouldn't be much different than we as backers and fans of the program to criticize a high school coach for his bumbling calls in an NFL situation. All in all we probably should tip our hat to him as he appears to be somewhat out of his league, as his players have already achieved more than he did in his days. Hopefully his luck will continue for our sake.

Atomic Frawg

I must express my disappointment in coach Schlossnagle and his loss to Kansas. There were multiple times within the loss (not defeat, as he lost the game for them) that I would second guess Schlossnagle's actions, but to be honest I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I have come to expect wins and dominance from him but in reality, I probably should not, as he did not achieve success as a player therefore he did not play at a high level. It must be difficult to make the correct decisions when you have no real playing experience at this level. It wouldn't be much different than we as backers and fans of the program to criticize a high school coach for his bumbling calls in an NFL situation. All in all we probably should tip our hat to him as he appears to be somewhat out of his league, as his players have already achieved more than he did in his days. Hopefully his luck will continue for our sake.
Coaching and playing "at a high level" aren't necessarily synonomous. You don't have to have "playing" talent to have coaching talent in plenty of sports...especially such a statistically driven sport as baseball. In fact, that's why the person called the head coach in other professional sports is called a "manager" in baseball.

Because you really don't get to be the number one team in the country nor make it to Omaha absent good coaching, I laud you for deferring to his knowledge of the game and his team. Of course, you may have your opinions and views, as does every sports fan who questions coaching calls from the stands or the livingroom. But if we were better than the coach, we would be the coach. It's a long season, enjoy the games as the coach learns this team and how to use it best.

ricksterh

imo the reason TCU lost the game vs Kansas was that the Frogs had atleast 10-12 runners in scoring position who did not score because of lack of timely hitting to drive them in. If half those runners score the Frogs win in 9 by 5 or 6 runs which is what should have happened and normally does but didn't and that resulted in a Frog loss. Also imo Kansas is not a bad team and played well in that game.

As for coaches most of the better ones were not stars on their teams as players. Guys like Dean Smith, Roy Williams, Tommy Lasorda are examples. There are a few exceptions like John Wooden and our Jamie Dixon who were both very good players and coaches but they are the exception rather than the rule. I'll stick with Coach Schloss thank you.

sous vide

imo the reason TCU lost the game vs Kansas was that the Frogs had atleast 10-12 runners in scoring position who did not score because of lack of timely hitting to drive them in. If half those runners score the Frogs win in 9 by 5 or 6 runs which is what should have happened and normally does but didn't and that resulted in a Frog loss. Also imo Kansas is not a bad team and played well in that game.

As for coaches most of the better ones were not stars on their teams as players. Guys like Dean Smith, Roy Williams, Tommy Lasorda are examples. There are a few exceptions like John Wooden and our Jamie Dixon who were both very good players and coaches but they are the exception rather than the rule. I'll stick with Coach Schloss thank you.

Casey Stengel.

Do you even understand baseball? If you expect TCU to win every baseball game, then you shouldn't watch them play baseball. Coach Schlossnagle is one of the best coaches in college baseball if not the best.

Go buy yourself a clue, mrtroll.

amfurman10

Do you even understand baseball? If you expect TCU to win every baseball game, then you shouldn't watch them play baseball. Coach Schlossnagle is one of the best coaches in college baseball if not the best.

Go buy yourself a clue, mrtroll.

This!! Nice first post troll...

Spike

I personally blame Newfoundland Frog. If he had posted a baseball AveryFrog the Jayhawks would not have had a chance.

halfwaytoheaven

funny-random-pics-71.jpg

First Tee Frog

A troll or dugout frog back again? Look at the handle. Same guy who said schloss would never get to a super regional much less win one. Hey Shelby, go play on the okst board.

westtexfrog

Its Big Steaming Pile stirring the pot again.

HoustonHornedFrog

Just a few facts:

Schlossnagle was a pitcher on the 1989 Elon squad that finished 39-7 and appeared in the NAIA World Series.

Schlossnagle has won more games (305) in seven years than any coach in TCU history after posting the top seven win totals each of the last seven years. He is 305-134 (.695) as the head coach at TCU and 382-181 (.679) in nine years as a head coach.
[In 2010,] TCU climbed to the top of the Mountain West Conference, marking their fifth straight league title with a 19-5 record. Prior to the start of the 2010 conference tournament, 10 Frogs were tabbed all-conference performers, while Schlossnagle took home his fifth straight conference Coach of the Year honor. The postseason accolades were many, headlined by the NCBWA selecting Schlossnagle as its National Coach of the Year.
Prior to his time at TCU, Schlossnagle spent two years as head coach of the UNLV baseball program. ... In 2003, he was recognized as the MWC Coach of the Year after leading the Rebels to both the regular season and conference tournament titles, all of which were a first for UNLV. For the 2003 season, UNLV sported a 47-17 (.734) mark, including a 24-6 record in league play. The 24 conference wins rank as the most in MWC history. In the postseason, UNLV advanced to the NCAA Regional Finals before eventually falling to Arizona State. It was the Rebels' first NCAA appearance since 1996. The Rebels finished the regular season ranked 15th nationally and the 47 wins were the second-most in school history.

Clearly you're right, a guy that played NAIA ball couldn't hope to coach at the highest level of the college game. Too bad you didn't figure this out and call Del Conte before TCU extended his contract through 2016. Guess we will have to just suffer through.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus

So achieving success as a player and playing at a "high level" is a prerequisite for success as a coach? Wow, I had no idea. I wonder if Gary Patterson knows that.

Perhaps he and Schloss should resign now