• The KillerFrogs

So much for Mizzou's loyalty!

geefrogs

the ESPN ticker now says "Mizzou, Clemson, Florida State, MAY join the SEC"

different from "they will join" to now that they may join. looks like ESPN is back tracking a little bit.

big surprise.

Dogfrog

the ESPN ticker now says "Mizzou, Clemson, Florida State, MAY join the SEC"

different from "they will join" to now that they may join. looks like ESPN is back tracking a little bit.

big surprise.

They probably DO KNOW but need to tone down the certainty to make it less obvious that they are pulling the strings.

Atomic Frawg

Doesn't this just open the door for the BE to make invites to KU/KSU? I think the BE is doing fine right now. I would be surprised if the SEC picked up Mizzou. Which would open the door for them to be invited later as well. My guess is that the BE has definitely renewed talks with KU/KSU.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Because they are tied to Oklahoma State, whom nobody wants.

Well not really. For years people said that A&M and UT were joined at the hip and as we can see, that clearly is not the case. Its every man for himself now and I would be willing to bet that if the SEC came to OU, they wouldn't hesitate to leave OSU behind

I'm guessing the PAC (insert number here) is interested in OU and Okie Lite.

They HAVE to be. What other option do they have? If Larry Scott is certain that we're heading to a super conference format, he has to find 4 other schools (somewhat) near the west coast. He won't be looking at Boise, UNLV, SDSU, et al. So OU, OSU and Tech are 3 they would have to get. I have no idea who the 4th would be. Perhaps...oh...I don't know...TCU?

PurplePutt

This is getting interesting, I still think we will end up ok, but I have no idea where this carousel stops!!!!

I think the BE is the conference in the best position. Why does everyone automatically assume that a damaged ACC without FSU and Clemson and a 155M TV contract that doesn't expire for years is in better shape to take BE schools than vice versa?

Trelvis

Or the ACC puts the kill shot on the Big East and takes 6 of the 9 to get to 16. There will be a lot of moving parts in the coming days. This could be bad for a lot of schools.

ACC is not going to take 6 teams from the Big East. The Big East is in a better position right now. They can be the aggressors if the SEC raids those ACC schools. The Big East schools would be stupid to leave.Dont panic Frog fans.

Trelvis

They have the better contract currently, higher academic profile and lack the albatross of 8 BB-only schools.

Its all about money. None of that other stuff matters. There contract is currently better, but it wont be when the Big East renogiates, especially if the ACC doesnt have FSU and Clemson.

joejordan

Well not really. For years people said that A&M and UT were joined at the hip and as we can see, that clearly is not the case. Its every man for himself now and I would be willing to bet that if the SEC came to OU, they wouldn't hesitate to leave OSU behind
I think the cord between aggie and Taxes is different from the connection between the Okies. The Texas schools have been connected as two planets in the same solar system...The Okie schools are more like Earth and Moon.

Limey Frog

ACC is not going to take 6 teams from the Big East. The Big East is in a better position right now. The Big East schools would be stupid to leave.

I applaud your optimism, but I'm afraid we're not very many days from finding out the hard way that this is not true. The ACC is about to lose two members and probably will choose to look for six new ones. With that much change, there is likely a renegotiation clause in their contract. That puts them in a better position. No Big East school is going to continue in that hideous unstable position with the continual in-fighting of football schools and basketball schools. The ACC is more stable and has more cache. No one will think twice about jumping from the BE to the ACC.

We're screwed. We have a football program that just won the Rose Bowl. All we want is to be a stable member of a stable league; we won't cause any trouble. We are building a new stadium, and we're located in the fifth largest media market in the nation, but no one wants us in their league. This sucks.

AEAfrog

I think the BE is the conference in the best position. Why does everyone automatically assume that a damaged ACC without FSU and Clemson and a 155M TV contract that doesn't expire for years is in better shape to take BE schools than vice versa?

My only concern with the ACC/ESPN deal is the impending exit of the Big East to another network. Maybe I'm a little overly paranoid, but, if ESPN knows it is going to lose the Big East to Comcast, it has an incentive to kill the Big East off. If renegotiating the ACC deal allows them to do that, maybe ESPN will open up the checkbook.