• The KillerFrogs

So much for Mizzou's loyalty!

AEAfrog

Most likely because OU shares a population of 3.5 mil population with OSU and Tulsa... yet Missouri doesn't share a 6 mil population with anyone else. Guess why Mizzou was a Big 10 candidate last Summer. Again, why WVU's 1.8 mil state population is not at the top of most
lists, though an impressive athletic program.

Cheers!

Why did the Big Ten add Nebraska instead of Missouri, then? You can't evaluate OU solely on the population of Oklahoma. The Sooners bring a large national following.

dawg

Dawg, you just contradicted yourself on the ACC appeal to ESPN. I agree with ESPN liking the ACC because of being locked into a deal that is cheaper than the upcoming Big East deal. But then you say ESPN will be happy to rip up the ACC contract and give them a new deal so they expand. Well, that just took away the advantage of the ACC being cheaper for ESPN. If I am ESPN and they are willing to tear up an existing contract, it might come down to which conference will give ESPN more TV sets. I am interested to see how the BE and ACC compare on this. Also, I am of the belief that because the media power is in the North East, the Big East will survive because of this. If that hadn't been the case, the BE would have been dead after the prior ACC raid IMO.

Babyface, I think ESPN (and I could be wrong) likes the ACC for the length of the deal, not the cost, and that the ACC isn't readily eyeing another network. TCU has won as many BCS games as the ACC champ since 2000 (not to mention BE champs are 6-7 in the BCS and 3-5 if you take out Miami and VT), and BE basketball is superior in both quality and sheer quantity of good teams than the ACC. So the BE clearly competes better on the football field, basketball court, and, as you point out, media markets. But ESPN's (probably) losing the BE to NBC/Comcast, who can and is needing to splash the cash to attract BCS football and the best basketball conference to program and promote their networks. Perhaps ESPN looks at what they've been paying the BE for FB and basketball and rolls all that into the new ACC contract. In addition, and I admit to be speculating here, what if OU, TT, OSU, KU, MU leave the Big XII(-2)? That also affects the value of, and what ESPN would to pay, when the Longhorn League's first tier rights come up a few years (that conference has either first or second tier rights coming up in the near future.) If the Big XII even remains in existance, which frees up whatever ESPN's paying it.

Having said that, Face, I really hope you're right and I'm wrong, and ESPN sides on TV sets (of which the BE owns 30% of the nation, more than ACC.)

TCUFrogs

What about your title, "So much for Texas loyalty"? Their terms are what are pushing teams out of their conference. Those who can run that is.

AggieAngst

PAC teams like STANFORD, UCLA, and CAL have banded together in a pact to never ever allow a "religious" based school (like BYU, Tcu, or Baylor) into their conference. Those 3 schools are rock solid that no religious type school is going to gain admittance to their Conf under any circumstances.

You saw that last year with the UT, TTech, Baylor and A&M to the PAC, when Stanford, Ucla, Cal and Arizona violently objected to Baylor and the PAC was forced to immediately invite COLO instead in order to cut Baylor out of any further consideration. And it worked - Baylor was immediately dropped.

The PAC 12 is the only Conf in the country that requires a unanimous vote for inclusion into their league. Any ONE MEMBER can blackball a potential expansion candidate.

Re-alignment is frantic and undetermined at this confusing time however there is one thing that is absolutely 100% certain in all of this - TCU, BYU, and BAYLOR will never ever get an invitation from the PAC 12. Never !

Latest rumor that seems have truth to it - says TEXAS, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS TECH and OKIE ST to the PAC 16. And if TEXAS declines and wants to go independent then KANSAS gets the final spot.

They HAVE to be. What other option do they have? If Larry Scott is certain that we're heading to a super conference format, he has to find 4 other schools (somewhat) near the west coast. He won't be looking at Boise, UNLV, SDSU, et al. So OU, OSU and Tech are 3 they would have to get. I have no idea who the 4th would be. Perhaps...oh...I don't know...TCU?

Nick Danger

I applaud your optimism, but I'm afraid we're not very many days from finding out the hard way that this is not true. The ACC is about to lose two members and probably will choose to look for six new ones. With that much change, there is likely a renegotiation clause in their contract. That puts them in a better position. No Big East school is going to continue in that hideous unstable position with the continual in-fighting of football schools and basketball schools. The ACC is more stable and has more cache. No one will think twice about jumping from the BE to the ACC.

We're screwed. We have a football program that just won the Rose Bowl. All we want is to be a stable member of a stable league; we won't cause any trouble. We are building a new stadium, and we're located in the fifth largest media market in the nation, but no one wants us in their league. This sucks.

If the situation is as dire as some of you apparently want it to be, what do you suggest we (message boarders) do? Who do you want CDC to get on the horn to? I mean y'all actually seem irritated that some folks on here don't share your sense of impending peril, as if we're fiddling while Fort Worth burns! :dry:

asleep003

The Sky is not falling !!
There are only two realistic potential poachers of the Big East.

a) ACC - their TV contract is not as attractive; the way the BE is stronly positioned.
b) Big 10 - won't take more than 2 from BE(if they go for 16/will be 2 B12 schools).
c) SEC and PAC12 are non players as potenial Big East poaching.

So, say ACC is able to hussle away 1 BE school.... that's three schools, leaving 6 in BE.
Now there will be several BCS schools and non BSC schools available with a B12 fold.
a) Most probable BCS schools for BE invite - several BBall schools here too.
Baylor
Iowa St.
KSU
KU
OSU - will be left behind with an OU invite by PAC12/Big10.
T-Tech - invite by PAC12 very unlikely.

b) Non BCS candiates for BE
Houston
SMU
UCF
The 3 academies(AF/Army/Navy)

Enough BCS programs and quality NON-BCS schools to fill in the corners.

ESPN is only one of 3-4 networks interested in BE and not the most motivated....

Cheers !

Trelvis

Best thing that could happen at this point would be for the SEC to take A&M along with UNC, FSU, and either V-Tech or Clemson. That would cripple the ACC. Big East could bring back BC and Maryland.Although that scenario is probably unlikely.

Rabble Rouser

Most likely because OU shares a population of 3.5 mil population with OSU and Tulsa... yet Missouri doesn't share a 6 mil population with anyone else. Guess why Mizzou was a Big 10 candidate last Summer. Again, why WVU(1.8 mil state population) is not near the top of most lists, though an impressive athletic program.

Cheers!

Umm, I was in KC MO a few months ago and all I saw were KU and K-State t-shirts...

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
One ESPN propert doesn't know what it wants or says. I just heard ESPN radio saying the SEC could reject A$M because they don't have a 14th team lined up right now. Good grief.

asleep003

Umm, I was in KC MO a few months ago and all I saw were KU and K-State t-shirts...

Umm, not challenging your rigorous honesty or the possibility of embellishing ... but 25% of Kansas City's population is in Kansas.... so, don't doubt you may actually have seen a large # of those T- shirts. Plus there is nothing in Kansas after graduation(but Witchita), so presume many grads also go to KC for work.

Cheers !

PAC teams like STANFORD, UCLA, and CAL have banded together in a pact to never ever allow a "religious" based school (like BYU, Tcu, or Baylor) into their conference. Those 3 schools are rock solid that no religious type school is going to gain admittance to their Conf under any circumstances.

You saw that last year with the UT, TTech, Baylor and A&M to the PAC, when Stanford, Ucla, Cal and Arizona violently objected to Baylor and the PAC was forced to immediately invite COLO instead in order to cut Baylor out of any further consideration. And it worked - Baylor was immediately dropped.

The PAC 12 is the only Conf in the country that requires a unanimous vote for inclusion into their league. Any ONE MEMBER can blackball a potential expansion candidate.

Re-alignment is frantic and undetermined at this confusing time however there is one thing that is absolutely 100% certain in all of this - TCU, BYU, and BAYLOR will never ever get an invitation from the PAC 12. Never !

Latest rumor that seems have truth to it - says TEXAS, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS TECH and OKIE ST to the PAC 16. And if TEXAS declines and wants to go independent then KANSAS gets the final spot.

That's not entirely true. I work in the Stanford Athletics Department and have heard those discussions. Keep in mind, USC is technically a religious school...but has sort of distanced away from that. TCU can say the same thing.

Baylor and BYU, on the other hand, still practice their religious views and require their students to not only take religious courses, but in the case of BYU, force their students to practice their beliefs and do mission work on behalf of the religion. Throw in BYU not playing sports on Sunday and they didn't want the scheduling headaches.

I can say with 100% confidence that BYU will never be in the Pac-12. I can say with almost certainty that Baylor will never be in the Pac-12. I am about 50/50 on TCU's chances. The fact that TCU is open to all religious views, has gay & lesbian student groups, doesn't require things like mission trips of their students...that all helps.

USC, Stanford and TCU all have churches on their campuses. We aren't THAT far apart from those schools.

asleep003

Why did the Big Ten add Nebraska instead of Missouri, then? You can't evaluate OU solely on the population of Oklahoma. The Sooners bring a large national following.

Missouri was lead candidate originally(so we thought)... and believe most were surprised with the last minute Nebraska choice... how can you go wrong with that brand(like OU's) but I would have gone with the triple #s of TV sets. Possibly B10 didn't want to compete with all the pro teams in Missouri for TV entertainment time... which I guess could be a similar scenario for OU getting picked over Mizzou.?. Missouri, like Nebraska, does have a better footprint for B10 than OU... but who knows.