• The KillerFrogs

So much for Mizzou's loyalty!

PurplePutt

My only concern with the ACC/ESPN deal is the impending exit of the Big East to another network. Maybe I'm a little overly paranoid, but, if ESPN knows it is going to lose the Big East to Comcast, it has an incentive to kill the Big East off. If renegotiating the ACC deal allows them to do that, maybe ESPN will open up the checkbook.

How would ESPN know? They haven't even started hard core negotiations yet. Maybe it is just the opposite. Maybe ESPN realizes that the BE TV markets and basketball is a bigger deal than a damaged ACC. Maybe they pick a BE to support and see the BE with BC, Miami, VT, KSU, and KU as a better financial deal than the ACC with some BE schools.

Stupid question. Does the ACC TV contract stay in effect after the high profile teams depart the ACC? In other words, would there be verbiage in the contract that stipulates the TV contract is guaranteed only within the current alignment of teams, and should conference members depart, then TV has rights to renegotiate terms.

Just asking....

Go Frogs!

InterestedObserver

Well not really. For years people said that A&M and UT were joined at the hip and as we can see, that clearly is not the case. Its every man for himself now and I would be willing to bet that if the SEC came to OU, they wouldn't hesitate to leave OSU behind

I've read several places that OU has turned down the SEC twice. There was a comment by OU's President Boren that basically said that he hadn't spent all these years trying to build OU's academic reputation only to have it ruined by joining the SEC.

The big difference between the Texas schools (UT and A&M) and the Oklahoma schools is that the OK schools actually like and respect eachother. That's not the case in Texas.

Will surely be interesting to see how the chips fall. Kind of nice to get to read about it on a rainy day. I'd forgotten what one looked like.

gdice

Wow, some of you are going straight to the end of the world with your thoughts…chill. Just because we haven't played a game in the Big East doesn't mean we are screwed. Heck we may never play a game in the Big East now, but someone wants to have that TCU football team in their conference.

WIN

Wow, some of you are going straight to the end of the world with your thoughts…chill. Just because we haven't played a game in the Big East doesn't mean we are screwed. Heck we may never play a game in the Big East now, but someone wants to have that TCU football team in their conference.

Agree, we are media darlings. Anyone see Gameday from the TCU campus? How did the Rose Bowl play out on the tv stage?

Westsider

Now you're talking.

Everybody relax, sit back, have a beer and enjoy this. It's gonna be fun.

AEAfrog

How would ESPN know? They haven't even started hard core negotiations yet. Maybe it is just the opposite. Maybe ESPN realizes that the BE TV markets and basketball is a bigger deal than a damaged ACC. Maybe they pick a BE to support and see the BE with BC, Miami, VT, KSU, and KU as a better financial deal than the ACC with some BE schools.

They won't know until the negotiations are actually conducted, obviously. But if you look at the factors surrounding the situation, Comcast really looks to be in the best situation to sign the Big East. NBC needs a major conference to fill the schedule of the new NBC Sports Network (formerly Versus). The Big East is the only conference left that can fill that void. It also puts the Big East in a better position as their games won't be placed on week nights.

Maybe the expanded Big East is a better conference, but ESPN already has the ACC under contract. If they can destroy the conference they're at risk of losing in exchange for raising the level of payment to a conference that they already have under their control, I think they might do it. They might even save money by only having a contract with one stronger conference than two weaker ones.

I know there are a lot of 'ifs' involved in there and it assumes ESPN to be a very Machiavellian entity. However, having watched how the LHN situation has unfolded, nothing that network does surprises me any more.

Houston Frog

I think it's possible we end up getting left out in he dust, but very unlikely. I'm not gonna sit around worrying about it though.... whatever happens happens, and we'll end up alright in the end is my guess

WIN

I think it's possible we end up getting left out in he dust, but very unlikely. I'm not gonna sit around worrying about it though.... whatever happens happens, and we'll end up alright in the end is my guess

If we get left out, unless scholarship limits go away we will still be able to compete.

BABYFACE

I think the BE is the conference in the best position. Why does everyone automatically assume that a damaged ACC without FSU and Clemson and a 155M TV contract that doesn't expire for years is in better shape to take BE schools than vice versa?

Because too many TCU fans still don't have enough respect for their school and are always looking to pack up the tent when a storm approaches. They are always expecting the worst to happen. You figure by now that they would have seen enough to be objective instead of pessimistic.

I have no idea where this will end up. Could TCU end up staying in the MWC? Possibly, but I would not put my money on that. Could TCU end up in the BIG 12, possibly but I am not taking that bet either. Could the ACC come after Big East teams, sure. But since the ACC deal is locked in for 10 more years around 13 mil, it is not a slam dunk as PAC12, SEC or Big 10 money. The BIg East, because of northeastern TV sets and NE media wanting to preserve that, the game is more complex. Big East basketball is the temporary crutch that will keep the BIg East proped up for now. The big money from TV that is coming in 2 years for the BE that is expected to eclipse the ACC, makes an ACC raid on the BE less likely. If the ACC loses teams to the SEC, it is possible that the Big East could be seen as a conference rising and the ACC as a conference going the other direction. THe key here is really the Big 10. Is it in the best interest of the Big 10 to go to 14 or 16 right now? Or are they better off staying at 12? To me, the BIg 10 holds the key if the Big East loses teams. The big 10 has the pull that the ACC does not. I also see BC coming back home to the Big East.

How can I say this? Who would have expected the Big 12 to become a weakened conference and facing extinction 5 years ago? Not me, thats for sure. The game has changed a lot since the ACC originally raided the Big East. The Big East may have a better hand this time to play.

Dogfrog

TCU brings three things to the table:

A program with the commitment to remain a top 15 program year in and year out.

Location. DFW - Recruiting and Media presence. We are a valuable commodity to conferences without a Texas presence. We are in a great location to offer their conference a showcase in Texas.

Deep Pockets. We are one of the few private institutions that can keep up financially.

bscttyb

If all this shakes out and the SEC goes to 16 by taking teams from the ACC, wouldn't the tv contracts be torn up for both the SEC and the ACC? This will give the ACC time to get to 16 by taking teams from the Big East and renegotiate a new TV contract. Im concerned we will get left out, not because of our football dominance, but because of our school size.

InnerloopFrog

I was in ACS 35 years ago when we were losing 10-11 games a year and I'll be there till I can't get up the UD Ramp.

And hey, if it really goes bad, Cheap Club seats!

Beat Baylor!

Latest posts