• The KillerFrogs

Since golf is the only sport on now really...a quick note about a couple pro Frogs...

JogginFrog

So, this is golf related, and not a thread derail.
Would be safe to assume that the Tour knew the considerably high percentage of covid tests that had shown false positives coming into their restart of the season. Given that multiple players had to sit out due to what were false positive tests of either themself or someone near them (caddy, etc.), is the Tour revamping those rules and offering a retest after 72 hours?

Yes.
https://www.pgatour.com/news/2020/0...safety-plan-updates-coronavirus-covid-19.html

Another question,

Anybody agree with a certain PGA Tour Radio host that Bryson is killing the game of golf? (I don't see it that way - yet. He had won before the bulk up and he has not won multiple tourney's since. So he seems on his pace as he was before. Although he has ranked highly in most tourneys.
I disagree with whoever said that, but it seems to be a common theme in the major golf media.

Like him or not, he has figured out something -- through the use of biomechanics, data analytics and amplified by extreme physical fitness -- that gives him a competitive edge. In that regard, he's a pioneer, and I can't find fault with anyone who is fully committed to their craft.

At the same time, I'm not fond of the amount of creativity and artistry that has been taken out of the game by equipment. I'm kinda laughing at this perfect storm of events while the USGA is supposed to be creating a response to their Distance Insights project, which will supposedly map out the future of golf equipment. I'm skeptical that they will make the right decisions.

As for your other point, Detroit Golf Club is a nice, old classic design. I'm not sure that TV did it justice...remember, these are skeleton TV crews we are seeing out there now and they simply don't have the resources to highlight the courses like they did just a few months ago. That being said, it won't ever be mentioned as a "great" golf course.

Good point.
Next questions, why the scheiss can't I cut an 8 iron as easy as I can a 6 iron? Really not a pga tour issue, but its driving me nuts.
All things being equal, it's simply a matter of distance. A ball traveling 175 yards has more room for sidespin to create curve than a ball traveling 150 or so yards. I could go into the role ball speed and angle of attack play, but I won't bore you!

Of course, your eight iron could have a different lie angle (clubs can get bent, or manufacturing errors occur). Your eight iron may be more upright than your six iron.

Now we're going down a rabbit hole...

Mean Purple

I disagree with whoever said that, but it seems to be a common theme in the major golf media.

Like him or not, he has figured out something -- through the use of biomechanics, data analytics and amplified by extreme physical fitness -- that gives him a competitive edge. In that regard, he's a pioneer, and I can't find fault with anyone who is fully committed to their craft.

At the same time, I'm not fond of the amount of creativity and artistry that has been taken out of the game by equipment. I'm kinda laughing at this perfect storm of events while the USGA is supposed to be creating a response to their Distance Insights project, which will supposedly map out the future of golf equipment. I'm skeptical that they will make the right decisions.

As for your other point, Detroit Golf Club is a nice, old classic design. I'm not sure that TV did it justice...remember, these are skeleton TV crews we are seeing out there now and they simply don't have the resources to highlight the courses like they did just a few months ago. That being said, it won't ever be mentioned as a "great" golf course.

Yes, with the shaft length approach alone he has been super smart in how he does it. Don't fault him. I love the idea of unified shaft length. Althougth I think I would prefer maybe 3 shaft lengths and put certain irons to those. His swing, even before the bulk up, is just a more intense version of the "natural golf" swing. (single plane). When he gets his experience more in on how the golf ball reacts in various lies and conditions (something Lefty knows pretty well), he is gonna be even more attack beast.

That makes sense about fewer cameras. I have played Colonial and Harbour Town, and seen tourneys there, so I probably just did not notice as much.

Yes, with the shaft length approach alone he has been super smart in how he does it. Don't fault him. I love the idea of unified shaft length. Althougth I think I would prefer maybe 3 shaft lengths and put certain irons to those. His swing, even before the bulk up, is just a more intense version of the "natural golf" swing. (single plane). When he gets his experience more in on how the golf ball reacts in various lies and conditions (something Lefty knows pretty well), he is gonna be even more attack beast.

That makes sense about fewer cameras. I have played Colonial and Harbour Town, and seen tourneys there, so I probably just did not notice as much.
Words I may live to regret, but I don’t think he’ll ever have elite level distance control with those long shafts in his wedges. That could prove to be the thing that keeps him from winning more often. I liked Faldo’s suggestion of lightweight steel shafts in the wedges, btw. Might help.

ShreveFrog

Watching DeChambeau and Wolff bomb it around there makes me think the PGA needs to tighten all the fairways and grow the rough. Penalty for missing fairways. Driver-wedge golf is borrrrrrringgg.

Mean Purple

Words I may live to regret, but I don’t think he’ll ever have elite level distance control with those long shafts in his wedges. That could prove to be the thing that keeps him from winning more often. I liked Faldo’s suggestion of lightweight steel shafts in the wedges, btw. Might help.
I think that's an accurate prediction.

froggolf65

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I'm for moving all the tournaments to Hoylake, where Tiger only hit one driver the whole week and won the British Open!
I think TV likes the driver-wedge game, as they don't often show much more than a bunch of guys putting. A course like old Colonial, that demands a little thought and strategy, is beautiful to watch for someone with some knowledge of the game. For the "casual viewer" it wouldn't, or at least that's what the TV people think.

JogginFrog

Barjon was just a shot back of the lead through 15 holes, but slipped back to finish T3; now 15th on the points list. The KF tour stays in San Antonio for a second week, playing the other TPC course, so another opportunity coming.

The finish on the PGA tour event yesterday was a fun watch.
Leaderboard was a good mixture of shotmakers and a few bombers. We'll see how that changes this week when the best players arrive, but bombers have definitely not had an advantage at Muirfield Village, historically. Though Woods won five times, I consider him much more than just a bomber. He's the most complete player to ever play (at least he was during his prime).

I liked giving them the option to drive #14. Everyone can reach it, but it gives somebody a couple of shots back on Sunday another opportunity to make up ground quickly.