• The KillerFrogs

Signing Day Central: Here We Go

Can't Frog This

Really excited about this class! Did we get any of the big names (Billings,Hall,Outlaw) no but this is CGP recruiting he may not always get the highest star rated guys but with the commits he gets he turns them into very solid players. I believe Dac Shaw will be the one who shines brightest, love this kid's athleticism. Can't wait to see 2014 class of future Frogs!

GlendarrochFrog

Agree to a degree, but most of these top players come to TCU during practices, JR Days, etc and see another side of CGP and they see how the players react to him which is usually very positive. The family atmosphere is discussed a lot (and not just about TCU) with recruits and the players are die-hard Frogs.

I think it is just a matter of time as TCU continues to do well in the B12 the coaches will win more & more of these battles.

TAMU, ND & Al are the hot teams this year, Or, UT, USC are starting to see a fall-off. It will change again next year and if TCU does as many of us expect look for an even better group in 2014, however I really like this class for 2013.

I know this wasn't the point of your post, but doesn't USC have five 5 star guys coming in. Another poster made this point, but in terms of stars, I care much more about average star compared to total points. If we sign 35 players that are all 2 and 3 stars, we would probably be ranked higher than if we had 20 players that were all 4 and 3 stars. They obviously weigh the total number of players in your class. For example, this year USC only has 12 recruits (due to their shennanigans), but they are five 5 star and seven 4 star guys. In terms of average stars of the incoming players, they blow everybody else away this year. I checked yesterday and I think TCU was ranked about 45th in average stars.

I know that stars aren't everything, but I think it is asinine that people keep pointing out that we won the Rose Bowl with guys that weren't big recruits. If you look at the top teams every year, they are almost always loaded with top talent out of high school. We were the exception, not the rule. I am so sick of the SEC, but you can't deny how good they are. Why are they so good? Because over the last 6 years, they probably have 6-8 of the top 25 recruiting classes. Right now they have 6 of the top 10. Sure you can win with players that aren't as good out of high school, but you will win much more consistently with players that are superstars in high school. I think it is fair for people to be frustrated that we aren't winning more of these battles for top tier players because they know that will have an impact on our ability to win. Our best players this year.

Who were our top recruits last year: Devonte Fields, Tyler Matthews and Gilbert. The story is still out on Gilbert and Matthews, but obviously Fields was great as a freshman.
What about the year before: Ladarius Brown, Chuck Hunter, Brandon Carter, Jason Verrett. (They all did pretty well)

I know that doesn't always work out, but even a few years before, it was Pachall, Waymon James, Josh Boyce, and Tanner Brock at the top of our class.

Without a doubt, the more talent that GP can bring in, the better this team will be in the future. Starsies matter!

Even though we didn't get some of those top recruits we were after, we did get quite a few and I am very excited about this class. Of course, I wish that Hall, Outlaw, Riley, etc. signed, but if we can win 9 or 10 games next year, the 2014 NSD will be very different.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Anyone else notice that GoFrogs has Whitmill at 5-11/200 listed as a CB?

CB, 5-11, 200, Bastrop, Texas; Bastrop HS
tcu-13-signing-whitmill.jpg

The No. 5 outside linebacker in Texas and No. 39 in the nation by FOX Sports Next/Scout.com ... ranked No. 123 overall in the Midlands 150 ... first-team District 17-4A selection as a senior ... recorded 95 tackles and three sacks as a sophomore ... chose TCU over Baylor, Arkansas, Ole Miss and Arizona

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
This is a typical GP class with subtle adjustments for the B12. He wants taller corners and got them. He wants speed and got it. We all know what he can do with "his" kind of player so relax.

However, if you want to brand this class as a failure, go ahead but place the blame on those players who had the brain farts, flunked out and otherwise help cost us what could have been a great season and the recruits who come along after a great season

FrogbyChoice

http://www.santarosa.edu/for_students/athletics/mens-football/roster.shtml

Mike Tuaua is listed as a Freshman on their roster. How many years of eligibilty would he have for us?

mesohornedfrog

For those upset about Hall, don't get too upset, apparently Aggie got confused and actually signed Dr. Dre. Check out this picture of "Hall". Their street cred went way up though.
rn_daeshonhall2_ms_300.jpg

jake102

I like that highlight video. Looks quite impressive and I'm sure Verrett will help him adjust quickly, and show him what needs to be done to be successful at the TCU level of play after his slow start at TCU and subsequent rapid ascent to best CB in the nation .