• The KillerFrogs

RUMOR: Cumbie and UT

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Wow. I honestly don't get it...

Cumbie has everything at TCU. Everything. Job security, great town, good schools, bunch of super guys to work with, and the pay ain't bad. Why would he cash all of those not-insubstantial items in for a parallel move to a high-pressure gig, with a gang of backstabbers to work around, in an expensive town, some good and some awful schools, with the distinct possibility of being fired 12 months from now?

Unless they're cutting him a cashiers check for $10 million, it's a lousy deal. If he takes it, he's a fool.

So there.

OICU812

Moose Stuff said:
He's supposed to be in Wooten's house tonight FWIW.
I saw that on the recruiting thread, it made me wonder if Wooten is waffling?  Otherwise, not sure why the HC would make an in-home this far out from signing day.

MinFrog

OICU812 said:
I saw that on the recruiting thread, it made me wonder if Wooten is waffling?  Otherwise, not sure why the HC would make an in-home this far out from signing day.

Cause it is a bye week and the coaches are literally all over the country making in-house visits.

TCUdirtbag

OICU812 said:
Wooten is solid. Cumbie is doing his job.

They're going to San Angelo for an in-home because that's what you do for your QB recruit. It's a no-brainier no matter how solid you think he is. They have time because of the bye week and are making sure things stay locked down.

Cumbie is all class. He's going to genuinely recruit for TCU as long as he's employed here. Obviously CGP thinks so or he wouldn't be sending him out.

CountryFrog

MinFrog said:

Cause it is a bye week and the coaches are literally all over the country making in-house visits.
Yep. You don't stop recruiting kids just because they're currently committed to you, no matter how firm the commitment seems to be.

TCUdirtbag

Moose Stuff said:
I bet him and GP have a nice talk on their drive/flight to San Angelo today.
Was thinking the same thing. Patterson will be recruiting Cumbie to stay on the flight to and from. Even Wooten may be the one recruiting Cumbie to stick around.

(Kidding about Wooten, really. A coach won't often stay for one player, but time with CGP talking, thinking about,a nd meeting with the future of TCU can't hurt the cause to keep him.)

Ron Swanson

BrewingFrog said:
Wow. I honestly don't get it...

Cumbie has everything at TCU. Everything. Job security, great town, good schools, bunch of super guys to work with, and the pay ain't bad. Why would he cash all of those not-insubstantial items in for a parallel move to a high-pressure gig, with a gang of backstabbers to work around, in an expensive town, some good and some awful schools, with the distinct possibility of being fired 12 months from now?

Unless they're cutting him a cashiers check for $10 million, it's a lousy deal. If he takes it, he's a fool.

So there.
Everyone hold your horses.

Remember when Steel started a thread saying that Meacham was gone, and it was just based on one tweet from some dude who said they may have reached an agreement, and then everyone on here was congratulating Meacham on his new job?

All we have right now is Longhorn message board rumors. Yes I'm sure they're going to come after him, but I guarantee you that nothing is agreed upon or implied yet. Longhorn website moderators and their fans just assume that if UT offers a guy more money than TCU that he will 100% instantly say yes to their offer.

UT is gonna offer him a lot, but Cumbie is gonna be smart about it and do what's best for him.

My guess is that if Meacham stays here and UT offers him $1MM to be the sole-OC, then he's probably gone (at this point it wouldn't be a parallel move, he would be going from co-OC with no play calling duties to sole-OC with play calling duties). If Meacham goes and Sonny can be "the man" at TCU, he stays here.

Whatever happens, don't just concede defeat to UT because they're hearing that they have him locked up. They're only hearing they have him locked up because arrogant UT fans assume they can get him. It's one bigarse game of telephone.

2314@work

Contributor
Ron Swanson said:

Remember when Steel started a thread saying that Meacham was gone, and it was just based on one tweet from some dude who said they may have reached an agreement, and then everyone on here was congratulating Meacham on his new job?

All we have right now is Longhorn message board rumors. Yes I'm sure they're going to come after him, but I guarantee you that nothing is agreed upon or implied yet. Longhorn website moderators and their fans just assume that if UT offers a guy more money than TCU that he will 100% instantly say yes to their offer.

UT is gonna offer him a lot, but Cumbie is gonna be smart about it and do what's best for him.

My guess is that if Meacham stays here and UT offers him $1MM to be the sole-OC, then he's probably gone (at this point it wouldn't be a parallel move, he would be going from co-OC with no play calling duties to sole-OC with play calling duties). If Meacham goes and Sonny can be "the man" at TCU, he stays here.

Whatever happens, don't just concede defeat to UT because they're hearing that they have him locked up. They're only hearing they have him locked up because arrogant UT fans assume they can get him. It's one bigarse game of telephone.
makes perfect sense

Moose Stuff

Ron Swanson said:

110% dead on IMO.

Dogfrog

Ron Swanson said:

Seriously if I put myself in Cumbie's shoes and UT offered me $1M, it's just not enough given their current circumstances. There has to be a guaranteed $5M over four years whether Strong stays or not and is guaranteed whether I am let go or not. The severe risk of stepping into that quagmire has to be mitigated in writing.

2314@work

Contributor
Dogfrog said:
Seriously if I put myself in Cumbie's shoes and UT offered me $1M, it's just not enough given their current circumstances. There has to be a guaranteed $5M over four years whether Strong stays or not and is guaranteed whether I am let go or not. The severe risk of stepping into that quagmire has to be mitigated in writing.
If that represents a $400,000 raise he would be a FOOL to turn it down.

Get Your Frogs Up

Ron Swanson said:

Same bunch of arrogant dumbarses that said Saban was a done deal to Texas.  Then they got Strong.

Moose Stuff

Dogfrog said:
I can't imagine he'd leave for anything short of a multiyear guaranteed deal.