• The KillerFrogs

RUMOR: Cumbie and UT

Riff Ram

Re-emphasizing what others have observed:  Based on the current results, and the quality (and by that I mean lack quality) of offensive talent on hand at UT,  rebuilding the UT offense will not be done is a year.

However,  Charlie Strong's UT career may well be done in a year.

So, any highly rated, upwardly-mobile offensive coordinators will proceed with caution.  As they say, $1 million doesn't buy what is used to.

OICU812

Frostie said:
Psst, come here..........closer.....................Closer................THAT WAS SARCASM!
So just to be clear, what I hear you saying is that, now you've changed your mind and they are NOT leaving???  

LisaLT

If Patterson is serious about retiring in 5 or so years, wouldn't it make sense for one of the two of them to stick around to be the heir apparent to the HC position? Or is that not even realistic?

OICU812

LisaLT said:
If Patterson is serious about retiring in 5 or so years, wouldn't it make sense for one of the two of them to stick around to be the heir apparent to the HC position? Or is that not even realistic?
It would be very realistic, since MGFP was an internal hire... But, without any specific insights, he strikes me as the type of guy who might say, "another 5" for the next 15.

Art Briles, otoh, is the type of guy that will jump ship as soon as it becomes apparent it's taking on too much water.

NavySupplyFrog

OICU812 said:
It would be very realistic, since MGFP was an internal hire... But, without any specific insights, he strikes me as the type of guy who might say, "another 5" for the next 15.

Art Briles, otoh, is the type of guy that will jump boat as soon as it becomes apparent it's taking on too much water.

didn't lou holtz do that a lot to keep getting recruits? "Well I know that I will be here for at least another four years to watch you graduate"

MinFrog

I love both of them, but GP won't make the mistake again of not having a plan in place if coordinators leave.

He made that mistake once with Fuentes and it cost us a couple of years.

Never again.

rifram09

Ron Swanson said:
I don't think that's obvious at all. Meacham could leave and then Cumbie could be promoted to sole OC and stay here in that for 8 years.

He loves it here, who knows.
You're misreading me a bit. I'm just saying both of these OCs are still in an upward trajectory in their careers. Neither one is in their terminal position. So they will eventually move out f their current roles. As an aside, I don't think either will be here for 8 seasons as OC. But I suppose it is possible.

Moose Stuff said:
At some point one of our coordinators is gonna stick it out here in hopes of being the next HC at TCU. Might be one of these two or might be some guy that arrives 10 years from now.
Ya. This is the one way I could see holding onto one of these guys for the rest of their careers.

All my Aggie friends want A&M to money whip Cumbie to be the OC at Texas A&M. Go read their forum too. Cumbie is a good OC. Didn't hold back against his alma mater and put 82 on them. He is an amazing recruiter and a heck of a QB coach. That said TCU is not just going to let them go, especially to A&M or UT. TCU can play the money game too. Heck these guys are up for head coaching jobs.

The arrogance of A&M and UT is unreal. They can money whip anyone. Get Kirby Smart while you're at it. Heck money whip you up some great assistants like Kendal Briles and Lincoln Riley.

Frostie

OICU812 said:
So just to be clear, what I hear you saying is that, now you've changed your mind and they are NOT leaving???  
Ha, to be clear my response was pure sarcasm, however whether they leave or not would be a complete guess on my part or anyone else's part for that matter. 

FrogSwagSurfin

tcuhf93 said:
$1 million/yr is the rumor. So probably not a lateral move in that regard. Hopefully, no one feels disrespected if this opportunity comes his way. I certainly wouldn't hold it against him if that kind of money is involved.
Take the money.

frog-hat

Despite the odds Frog said:
All my Aggie friends want A&M to money whip Cumbie to be the OC at Texas A&M. Go read their forum too. Cumbie is a good OC. Didn't hold back against his alma mater and put 82 on them. He is an amazing recruiter and a heck of a QB coach. That said TCU is not just going to let them go, especially to A&M or UT. TCU can play the money game too. Heck these guys are up for head coaching jobs.

Coaches aren't as easily money whipped as recruits.
# We Really Truly Suck

Yes TCU has as much money to spend as UT and A&M now.   We are private and don't have to report, but some would be shocked at what we pay coaches.   Also they have bonus deals, media money, sponsorships, etc.   If they wait longer and repeat the success without Boykin Doctson they could name their price and terms with another team as Head Coach.   Perhaps they want to go  to an elite team that isn't a train wreck like U.T.  Why are TCU fans worried about money being the reason we lose coordinators?   We have the cash.

cdsfrog

LisaLT said:
don't say things like that I can't handle it. I want GP till he's like 65 or 70. that said he can retire whenever he wants. That guy earned it and then some

tetonfrog

Meacham and Cumbie will leave at some point. It is only a matter of time. GP will be ready when they do go. We will be fine. Deep breathe fellas. If we lose to OSU, OU and Baylor, then they will be here longer. I'd rather they leave after the Frogs win a national title this year.