• The KillerFrogs

RUMOR: Cumbie and UT

Frog DJ

I wish Sonny Cumbie only the very best because he has done very good work for TCU, but I sincerely hope he realizes the ice upon which Charlie Strong stands is very thin, indeed.

And when the ice cracks and ultimately collapses...

Go Frogs!

Punter1

I hope if Charlie takes Cumbie...they both end up in Miami.

Charlie should jump on that job asap. It's a much easier road to the NC and his rep there is huge...in Texas it's lukewarm at best.

riffram2011

Seems like a lot more chatter on the UT side of things. Someone said they would fire their RB coach in hopes of bringing Luper with them, too. God, that would suck. Really hope they can keep both from UT.

Moose Stuff

riffram2011 said:
Seems like a lot more chatter on the UT side of things. Someone said they would fire their RB coach in hopes of bringing Luper with them, too. God, that would suck. Really hope they can keep both from UT.
We could just make Luper Co-OC with Meach in that event. Problem solved.

OICU812

Man, I hope these guys can be patient.  I totally understand the temptation to grab for the next rung up the ladder, but if guys will stick with their current gigs, and improve the job they actually already have, the long-view picture should be even brighter.  

Stand by and watch the impending UT implosion, while duking it out with OU for the next several conference titles and CFP invites.  Then write their own checks as head coaches at significant programs... In other words, the Kirby(very)Smart approach.  Seems much wiser than jumping into a desperate situation trying to furiously bail water as the ship goes down.

rifram09

OICU812 said:
Man, I hope these guys can be patient.  I totally understand the temptation to grab for the next rung up the ladder, but if guys will stick with their current gigs, and improve the job they actually already have, the long-view picture should be even brighter.  

Stand by and watch the impending UT implosion, while duking it out with OU for the next several conference titles and CFP invites.  Then write their own checks as head coaches at significant programs... In other words, the Kirby(very)Smart approach.  Seems much wiser than jumping into a desperate situation trying to furiously bail water as the boat goes down.
I'm not sure either of our OCs will take the Kirby Smart route (i.e., OC to Premier HC gig).  That is a rare move, IMO.  Our guys will probably take the more traditionally progression of taking a G5 or bottom feeder P5 HC job before being considered for a premier P5 job. 

I still agree with your overall point.  Cumbie to UT under Strong seems unnecessarily risky, and it doesn't provide that much reward.  I suppose UT could be willing to pay Cumbie more money than TCU... but (a) is mere speculation on the part of UT people, and (b) may not even be true.  Best case he helps Strong get Texas back on the winning path, and he uses that to propel himself into a HC gig.  But that is essentially what he did at TCU, and he won't get that much more of a boost for doing it at Texas.  Worst case he joins Strong for one year, it doesn't go well, and both get fired at the end of next season.

froginaustin

I would think a DC at a Big Twelve school would want to practice against an air raid offense, because he certainly will see a lot of it. At least until the next great system comes along.