RUMOR: Cumbie and UT

GlendarrochFrog

LezzGetFroggy said:
Just pay the man
uJxT1kT.gif

Deep Purple

LezzGetFroggy said:
Just pay the man

I agree that TCU should increase the stake to keep Cumbie.  He's well worth it.  But even if TCU were match UT's offer, what then?  Wouldn't we have to make a comparable offer to Meach, who is after all the senior and more experienced of the two?

I suppose it could be argued that we should just entice Cumbie and forget about Meach, since he's a prime prospect for an HC job somewhere.  But that seems pretty cold and a real slap in the face of a man who, in a mere two seasons, has done so much for TCU.  If he wasn't considering leaving the program before, he would surely be determined to do so after that.

MinFrog

If that is true, no hard feelings.

Also, there is a reason they are offering that coin to some one who hasn't called plays. Because no sensible OC will go there, or else they would offer that to some one who is established.

Big money for not a ton of experience is a HUGE RED FLAG.

But can't fault a man for cashing those checks.

SnoSki

Gserv1 said:
That dude is gone. That's a lot of money to pass up.
But what if he goes, UT goes 6-6 again and Charlie gets fired? If I were him I would wait to land on more solid ground.. IE when the OC job at TCU opened up before.

Opintel

Moderators
Are we suddenly short of matching $$$?

Very intriguing, that job in Austin...but, the Horned Frogs should be really good the next couple of years (at least).  Uterus does not look too stable, to me.

Look long term, young Padawan.

PO Frog

SnoSki said:
But what if he goes, UT goes 6-6 again and Charlie gets fired? If I were him I would wait to land on more solid ground.. IE when the OC job at TCU opened up before.
He could spend the next two years collecting his $1 million plus/year and looking for another gig...3 year contract makes it a no-brainer IMO.

Moose Stuff

Still think this is more about calling plays than money. Don't get me wrong, the money is great but if we told Sonny tomorrow that he was our lead play caller and gave him a decent raise he's going NOWHERE.

PO Frog

Moose Stuff said:
Still think this is more about calling plays than money. Don't get me wrong, the money is great but if we told Sonny tomorrow that he was our lead play caller and gave him a decent raise he's going NOWHERE.
I don't disagree but I'm not sure we are in a position to be forced into handing over play calling duties to someone that hasn't ever done it. If we lose Meach, fine, but seems a little desperate to bend over backwards to keep him since we don't even know how he handles that aspect.

Gserv1

What if he goes to Texas and completely turns around the offense. He can do the same thing for Swoopes/Heard that he did for Boykin.

I want the man to stay. But sometimes you need to be selfish and think about yourself and your family. Even if it doesn't work out there, I'm pretty sure that he will find a landing spot.

TexanFrog_

If Texas is willing to pay north of $1m to Cumbie, that would place him at the 2nd highest paid OC in the country according to this article-- (doubt he would be making more than $1.5m than Cameron at LSU)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2388101-college-footballs-10-highest-paid-assistant-coaches-in-2014/page/9

If we were to match UT's offer of Cumbie at ~$1m, that would almost assuredly mean that we would be paying Cumbie more than Meachum who is actually responsible for calling plays, creating an awkward dynamic on the staff. If we give a raise to Cumbie I would imagine that a comparable raise would be due to Meachum.

I am not a betting person but we would probably have to let Cumbie walk since we wouldn't be willing to pay two $1m salaries to our Co-OC's

Moose Stuff

PO Frog said:
I don't disagree but I'm not sure we are in a position to be forced into handing over play calling duties to someone that hasn't ever done it. If we lose Meach, fine, but seems a little desperate to bend over backwards to keep him since we don't even know how he handles that aspect.
I'm not saying we should do that.

TCUWIN

Any truth to the rumor that Cumbie bought dinner Friday night for the four coaches and told the other coaches buy whatever they wanted because money didn't matter????

Dogfrog

Gserv1 said:
What if he goes to Texas and completely turns around the offense. He can do the same thing for Swoopes/Heard that he did for Boykin.

I want the man to stay. But sometimes you need to be selfish and think about yourself and your family. Even if it doesn't work out there, I'm pretty sure that he will find a landing spot.
What if Swoopes / Heard are no Boykin (and they aren't) and what if the offense is a bust? What if Strong gets fired end of next year, or mid season? Sonny Cumbie will not be a HC candidate at UT. These are important decisions for SC and he doesn't need to take big risks at this stage. Go ahead and leave but go someplace with some stability and a solid opportunity.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
TCUWIN said:
Any truth to the rumor that Cumbie bought dinner Friday night for the four coaches and told the other coaches buy whatever they wanted because money didn't matter????
Could be a farewell.

Latest posts