• The KillerFrogs

RUMOR: Cumbie and UT

Flying T

Tier 1
What is it worth to TCU to have one of the top offenses in the country, win a ton of games, and have a guy that connects with some of the biggest recruits in the country? I don't know how much Cumbie is responsible for our windfall the past two years, but I wouldn't risk rocking the boat. I would hook him up with a huge official contract and an oil and gas deal like CoachP has. No way would I lose Cumbie and risk a letdown next year or lose momentum with recruits.

FrogSwagSurfin

Something to note guys, Cumbie as called a total of one game in the last 3 years. Boykin turned into a diamond but Meacham is the man behind the wheel. Cumbie is unproven as a play caller, we are all getting worried about missing out on potential yet we have one of the best running the show now.

rifram09

GeorgeLanescaddy said:
Something to note guys, Cumbie as called a total of one game in the last 3 years. Boykin turned into a diamond but Meacham is the man behind the wheel. Cumbie is unproven as a play caller, we are all getting worried about missing out on potential yet we have one of the best running the show now.
Frankly, I'm not worried about the X's and O's, even if both guys left. I am worried about recruiting though.

cdsfrog

DeuceBoogieNights said:
Honest question, what's stopping us from offering Cumbie $1.0-$1.5 million a year? Is that out of the question?

Nope.  Have the $$ and more revenue this year. It's not about the $$

cdsfrog

TexanFrog_ said:
If Texas is willing to pay north of $1m to Cumbie, that would place him at the 2nd highest paid OC in the country according to this article-- (doubt he would be making more than $1.5m than Cameron at LSU)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2388101-college-footballs-10-highest-paid-assistant-coaches-in-2014/page/9

If we were to match UT's offer of Cumbie at ~$1m, that would almost assuredly mean that we would be paying Cumbie more than Meachum who is actually responsible for calling plays, creating an awkward dynamic on the staff. If we give a raise to Cumbie I would imagine that a comparable raise would be due to Meachum.

I am not a betting person but we would probably have to let Cumbie walk since we wouldn't be willing to pay two $1m salaries to our Co-OC's

Why not? We can afford and we underpay GP

FrogSwagSurfin

Rifram09 said:
Frankly, I'm not worried about the X's and O's, even if both guys left. I am worried about recruiting though.
We could lose some but in the grand scheme Meacham calls the plays and developed the OL, without that we are the 2013 read option offense.

TCUdirtbag

Anyone who thinks the end is near if Cumbie leaves is crazy. Meacham kind find a good QB coach and recruiter. 

Anyone who thinks Cumbie hasn't played a major role is crazy. Just look at Boykin pre- and post-Cumbie. 

The reality is losing him would hurt, but TCU will be okay.  

Deep Purple

Flying T said:
What is it worth to TCU to have one of the top offenses in the country, win a ton of games, and have a guy that connects with some of the biggest recruits in the country? I don't know how much Cumbie is responsible for our windfall the past two years, but I wouldn't risk rocking the boat. I would hook him up with a huge official contract and an oil and gas deal like CoachP has. No way would I lose Cumbie and risk a letdown next year or lose momentum with recruits.

All well and good.  But if you do all that for Cumbie, then what do you do for Meach?

Seems to be the question that is being conspicuously ignored in this thread.

DaCrief

Would be a gangsta move by UT. Weaken a conference power while improving greatly. Too much smoke for there not to be something going on. Sucks