• The KillerFrogs

RUMOR: Cumbie and UT

Dogfrog

DaCrief said:
Would be a gangsta move by UT. Weaken a conference power while improving greatly. Too much smoke for there not to be something going on. Sucks
Maybe ESPN is kicking in some money too. Bolster their Longhorn brand and hurt the thorn in their side.

Flying T

Tier 1
Deep Purple said:

All well and good.  But if you do all that for Cumbie, then what do you do for Meach?

Seems to be the question that is being conspicuously ignored in this thread.
You allow him to keep working for TCU as he is interviewing for HC positions at other schools?

MinFrog

They aren't perfect, but there aren't two men I would trust much more than GP and CDC.

Let them do what they feel is right and enjoy yalls weekend.

Moose Stuff

MinFrog said:
They aren't perfect, but there aren't two men I would trust much more than GP and CDC.

Let them do what they feel is right and enjoy yalls weekend.
I think everyone is being pretty rational about this...... Want Sonny to stay, understand why he might leave, know we'll be fine in the end either way.

netty2424

cdsfrog said:

His salary is way below what it should be. Worth at least 6.5 a year.
Cds, not trying to be a dick, but how do you know he's not making that? Or more? You've referenced him being underpaid twice, but no one knows what he makes? We've seen the lists of what coaches make, but they all have disclaimers that the private schools don't have to report.

FrogSwagSurfin

netty2424 said:
Cds, not trying to be a popsicle, but how do you know he's not making that? Or more? You've referenced him being underpaid twice, but no one knows what he makes? We've seen the lists of what coaches make, but they all have disclaimers that the private schools don't have to report.
And we dot know what the TCU group of five is paying him either

Deep Purple

Flying T said:
You allow him to keep working for TCU as he is interviewing for HC positions at other schools?

You think Cumbie isn't talking to other schools?

If you cut loose every coach who talks to other schools, we wouldn't have a coaching staff left.  Even Patterson has talked to  Kansas State, Arkansas, and others during his TCU tenure.

SnoSki

Moose Stuff said:
Wes, Scott, steel, Bonner, and maniac
Nyj9cWz.gif

Flying T

Tier 1
Deep Purple said:

You think Cumbie isn't talking to other schools?

If you cut loose every coach who talks to other schools, we wouldn't have a coaching staff left.  Even Patterson has talked to  Kansas State, Arkansas, and others during his TCU tenure.
I didn't say anything about cutting him loose. I would just make it my priority not to lose Cumbie to UT, even if that meant possibly losing Meach, or hurting his feelings, or having to pay him more as well. To be honest, I would also have Cumbie on the sideline next year so the players can feed off of his energy during the game.

Deep Purple

Flying T said:
I didn't say anything about cutting him loose. I would just make it my priority not to lose Cumbie to UT, even if that meant possibly losing Meach, or hurting his feelings, or having to pay him more as well. To be honest, I would also have Cumbie on the sideline next year so the players can feed off of his energy during the game.

I said in this post that an argument could be made that we should just entice Cumbie and forget about Meach, since he's a prime prospect for a head coach job somewhere else.

But I also said that that seems pretty cold and a real slap in the face of a man who, in a mere two seasons, has done so much for TCU.  If he actually isn't considering leaving the program now, he would surely be determined to do so after an affront like that.

That is, in effect, cutting him loose.

Flying T

Tier 1
Deep Purple said:

I said in this post that an argument could be made that we should just entice Cumbie and forget about Meach, since he's a prime prospect for a head coach job somewhere else.

But I also said that that seems pretty cold and a real slap in the face of a man who, in a mere two seasons, has done so much for TCU.  If he actually isn't considering leaving the program now, he would surely be determined to do so after an affront like that.

That is, in effect, cutting him loose.
What you call a slap in the face or cutting him loose is just a typical example of "playing chess instead of checkers" among other results-oriented businesses in the real world. I do agree, it is an awkward situation, but it is awkward in part due to Meacham's own actions.

Deep Purple

Flying T said:
What you call a slap in the face or cutting him loose is just a typical example of "playing chess instead of checkers" among other results-oriented businesses in the real world. I do agree, it is an awkward situation, but it is awkward in part due to Meacham's own actions.

What actions?  What reports do you have of Meach interviewing with other programs -- other than rumors on this board?

And I'm not talking about news reports of other programs being interested in Meach.  There have been plenty of news reports of other programs interested in Cumbie as well.  Give us some credible evidence beyond your mere suspicion.

And even if Meach is talking to other programs, what of it?  As I noted previously, Gary Patterson has talked to several other programs since he's been at TCU.  If we followed your logic, we would have run him off long ago.

If other programs aren't interested in acquiring one or more of our coaches, we probably don't have very good coaches.  But if other programs are interested, while we may or may not be able to keep all our coaches, they certainly aren't the kind of coaches we need to be deliberately running off.

Very short-sighted.