• The KillerFrogs

RUMOR: Cumbie and UT

jake102

Moose Stuff said:
Coaches almost always move on eventually, it's the nature of the game, but don't underestimate the allure of TCU....... Great AD, very stable HC situation, great campus and town, great facilities, they're paid well, and we win. Whoever joins up with Strong is one more 5-7 or 6-6 type season from being out of a job when he gets canned. Job security is huge for these guys, especially ones with young families like Cumbie.
I know that Meacham is pretty happy here in FW also.

That being said it would be hard to pass up a HC opportunity

pastorfrog

Going to Texas is a great opportunity. Going to Texas to just get fired after one year doesn't sound fun. And every assistant is on a one year contract as well. Strong gets fired he gets paid. Everyone else? Too bad.

Moose Stuff

pastorfrog said:
I can't find the piece but SC loves TCU in part because of the quality of life GP offers his coaches. I remember him saying he wanted to go to church with his family Sunday mornings. GP was like, sure. SC made it sound like it was the first time he'd been able to attend worship in years. Curious how little things like that play into deciding when to move up, move on or stay put.

Meachem might leave right away, but I get that. But he isn't going to Houston. Maybe Memphis. My biggest fear is him at Stillwater. What we have going for us is what we all know, Fort Worth is a great place to live.
Exactly what I'm talking about. What we offer is beyond rare in college sports. And it's not just the football program.

Reptilian

pastorfrog said:
I can't find the piece but SC loves TCU in part because of the quality of life GP offers his coaches. I remember him saying he wanted to go to church with his family Sunday mornings. GP was like, sure. SC made it sound like it was the first time he'd been able to attend worship in years. Curious how little things like that play into deciding when to move up, move on or stay put.
Meachem might leave right away, but I get that. But he isn't going to Houston. Maybe Memphis. My biggest fear is him at Stillwater. What we have going for us is what we all know, Fort Worth is a great place to live.
Stillwater isn't opening anytime soon.

Also, not every coach aspires to be an HC. An OC/DC can make alot of money while living in a great place to raise a family.

FrogSwagSurfin

Besides Glasgow do you really think a TCU coach would leave to take a lateral position in the conference? IMO that is incredibly disrespectful and if Cumbie is that great of a guy I wouldn't see him doing it.

Limey Frog

Surely he could be TCU's sole OC after this season. Same job, fewer headaches, at least for now better chance of success where he is already having it. This would make sense for him any other year, but the likelihood of Meach not taking a HC job this December is close to nil at this point.

pastorfrog

Limey Frog said:
Surely he could be TCU's sole OC after this season. Same job, fewer headaches, at least for now better chance of success where he is already having it. This would make sense for him any other year, but the likelihood of Meach not taking a HC job this December is close to nil at this point.
If Meachem leaves SC becomes head CoOC and Holgo joins the staff

punter9

I was just glad they both stayed for this year, it is a much tougher sell to stay again next year.  They will have to grow and replace an entire offense, with what are likely expectations to be elite again soon.  

My vote is we tell them both we will pay more than any offer and make sure any move they make isn't about money.  

MAcFroggy

No offense to Cumbie, but I can not imagine Charlie Strong brings in a new offensive coordinator that has never been the primary play caller.  Not saying that Cumbie couldn't do a good job, but I do not think that Strong would pretty much put his job on the line for a new play caller.  If your Texas go after a big fish who has already proved themselves and pay big.

riffram2011

GeorgeLanescaddy said:
Besides Glasgow do you really think a TCU coach would leave to take a lateral position in the conference? IMO that is incredibly disrespectful and if Cumbie is that great of a guy I wouldn't see him doing it.
If UT offered him $1 million+, which is way more than TCU is paying, that would make me consider the job.

Ron Swanson

Rifram09 said:
Well, idk if it will be this offseason or UT, but Cumbie will obviously leave at some point relatively soon. Same for Meach.
I don't think that's obvious at all. Meacham could leave and then Cumbie could be promoted to sole OC and stay here in that for 8 years.

He loves it here, who knows.

FrogRails

Rifram09 said:
What if WVU sends Holgo packing? Could we potentially land him as OC? (Assuming the timelines worked out, such that we lose one or both of our OCs the same season Holgo is departing WVU.)
I'd be interested to hear from any of our 'Eer friends who may be lurking what their read is on the Holgo situation. From the outside looking in I love his style and he seems to be a good fit, he just hasn't quite gotten his team over the hump yet into a top tier season despite being oh-so-close. Conversely, I can imagine how frustrating it probably is from the inside looking out to look at how we (TCU) have performed since joining and conclude that a shakeup needs to happen to get it done.