• The KillerFrogs

Quick..someone bring smelling salts to Dan Jenkins

Deep Purple

One of my favorites and don't laugh is the Spiral Diner on Magnolia St. Its a vegan place but their food is great and the Ate Layer Burrito is fantastic
Ugh. I ate there once. That was enough. With all the body piercings and tattoos on the servers, I thought I was going to get hepatitis just from patronizing the place.

Deep Purple

Montgomery Street Cafe.
It's probably okay now, but I ate there before Fort Worth enacted a total smoking ban in restaurants. That place was small enough to be exempted from the old, partial ban in restaurants with a capacity of less than 50. You'd be right in the middle of a delicious meal when somebody at the table next to you -- or worse, on both sides of you -- would light up and then you couldn't even taste the rest of your meal. It was a total waste of time, taste, and money.

Now that there's no smoking in restaurants of any size, I imagine it's probably okay. I haven't been back, so I can't say. I'll probably have to try it again.

hometown frog

Robinsons BBQ about a mile east of I-35 on Berry Street. Its not a Cousins, but its some of the best BBQ I've had. (Disclaimer: I haven't eaten there in over 4 years so I don't know if their food has changed for the worse in that time.)

TEUFELI

It's probably okay now, but I ate there before Fort Worth enacted a total smoking ban in restaurants. That place was small enough to be exempted from the old, partial ban in restaurants with a capacity of less than 50. You'd be right in the middle of a delicious meal when somebody at the table next to you -- or worse, on both sides of you -- would light up and then you couldn't even taste the rest of your meal. It was a total waste of time, taste, and money.

Now that there's no smoking in restaurants of any size, I imagine it's probably okay. I haven't been back, so I can't say. I'll probably have to try it again.

You aren't welcome back there.

Mt Street always has had twice the Chicken Fried Steak of Paris...and three times the CFS of Masseys (Sorry...it's true)

Hands down the best 'hole in the wall' joint in FW

InterestedObserver

I grew up going to Massey's after church but probably haven't been back there in 20 years.

For home cooking (CFS, etc) I tend to like Old Neighborhood Grill for this side of town. I also make it out to West Side Cafe on HWY 80 occasionally (order some pie). I'll second Montgomery Street and Paris Coffee Shop. M&M Steakhouse is good as well if you can handle the garlic.

Sadly, most of the good home cooking places are long gone. 25 years ago I could have named multiple good spots for CFS.

I can't think of a single place that has a good pan-fried CFS anymore (the proper way to really cook a good CFS) as everyone now uses a deep frier, likely out of ease. With that being the case I typically save my CFS cravings for trips west and stop at either Flossies or Marys in Strawn. Both are superior to anything in Fort Worth.

VictoryLap

If you have not been to Drew's Place off of Horne St. just south of Camp Bowie, do yourself a favor and go there. Soul food that you and your heart will not forget any time soon. I had the smothered pork chops, wow! I also hear their chicken fried steak is excellent.

Annoying Group of 20

I haven't really been around in a decade, but when we branched out from masseys my dad would take us to the Arlington Steak House by UTA. Total dive, but great CFS and yeast rolls like Masseys. No idea if it is still open.

weklfrog

Been many years since I have eaten there (probably early 90s), but Drake's Cafeteria on East Rosedale had great soul food.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Sorry to hear of Massey's closing.

A couple of places we always try and hit when in FW are Cafe Bella in the Westcliff Shopping Center. Its BYOB so stop at Kings on the way (the liqour store on Bluebonnet has a limited wine selection). Food is very good and sit outside if weather permits.

The other is Charlie's on Old Grandbury, best burgers in FW and best greasy fries.

Zekes is always great also.

JugbandFrog

Robinsons BBQ about a mile east of I-35 on Berry Street. Its not a Cousins, but its some of the best BBQ I've had. (Disclaimer: I haven't eaten there in over 4 years so I don't know if their food has changed for the worse in that time.)
OH man, that place is awesome. They always ran out of chicken around noon. I have not been there in ages though, but man was it delicious.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
The Smoke Pit on Belknap, just east of downtown. Go there on Fridays for the smoked pork chop special. Its 2": thick, has great smoked flavor, comes with fries and beans and all of that is a whopping $10.50.

Best be there before 11:30 because once the chops are gone, they are gone.

Bacon wrapped filets special is on Monday. $10.50 gets you that specialty

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Good God. It's like reading an obit for a friend in another town....

Like Ol' Dan says, it ain't what it used to be, but we'll always remember it for what it was. Hell, I still miss the San Jacinto Inn.

Montgomery Street Cafe is excellent. We eat there (hangover permitting) before nearly every home game. Paris otherwise. Both are wonderful in that they haven't changed.

See, that's the trick with a restaurant: Stay the same. People always remember things like the last time they were there.They don't know about the cooks that ran off, or the meat vendor that was a shifty crook, or the cooler that went out and forced a huge special one night or the certain way that one old bartender added a secret ingredient that made that drink the best. It's a thousand things, and they all change from the first time you stopped in for dinner to the next. You just want that drink that was so good and the steak that was so tasty and cooked just right.

I need a German Pancake at Ol' South...

OmniscienceFrog

I can't think of a single place that has a good pan-fried CFS anymore (the proper way to really cook a good CFS) as everyone now uses a deep frier, likely out of ease.

Driver's Truck Stop Restaurant in Hudson Oaks has a decent one, or at least did the last time I was in there 4 or 5 years ago. The best one's around back in the day were at, strangely enough a chinese restaurant, Ding How on Altamere (where Peony is now).

The thing that never seems to come up in discussions of CFS here is gravy, which is at least as important to a CFS as the meat and batter. That was what made Massey's stand apart to me. The meat itself was great but their gravy was the best around.

Don't know how many of you more seasoned folks might have had one or not, but as good a CFS as you could find in the early to mid 70's was in the Wedgwood Bowl cafe.