• The KillerFrogs

Quick..someone bring smelling salts to Dan Jenkins

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
While we're on the subject. What are some of the best little known restaurants around town? Feel free to join in Mistletoad...

I am partial to Yogi's but its not much of a secret. I had a burger in Arlington at Chop House Burgers and have to say that it was pretty darned good. The Cowtown Diner, downtown, is excellent

One of my favorites and don't laugh is the Spiral Diner on Magnolia St. Its a vegan place but their food is great and the Ate Layer Burrito is fantastic

researchfrog

I'll second Spiral Diner. Cancuns on Highway 80 for cheap Tex-Mex. Asia Bowl off of Green Oaks for pan-Asian food with very fresh ingredients. Joonsuree on Magnolia for Thai.

frogtwang

While we're on the subject. What are some of the best little known restaurants around town? Feel free to join in Mistletoad...

Chimy's near Montgomery Plaza is pretty tasty, Similar to Fuzzy's.

There is a really good burger place in Midlothian (not exactly "around town") called Hideout Burgers. Easily competes with Kincaid's and 5 Guys.

JugbandFrog

Does anyone remember Celebrations on Camp Bowie. The family style all you could eat. Man. The bread was amazing. It is a garden shop now. Booo.

steelfrog

Tier 1
OK, since you brought up the subject of vegan:

A few years ago, Steel was in Chi-town for a trial during the winter; worst winter, in fact, in 12 years in Chicago. There for 3 weeks for a bad mid-air that the aircraft landed on a hospital and burned it. Federal court.

ANYWAY, one of the guys I was with, a hard headed old Marine, decides we shoul;d go out for dinner one night. he says he saw a place that looked good, and he forgets the name but we can navigate to it. Well, we wander around Chicago, in air temps of about -11 and wind chills about -40, inadeuqatelt outfitted (hell, being dressed in 4 layers of whale blubber and a polar bear fur would have been inadequate!), and he finally "finds" the place. We wait in a long line and are finally seated in one of the few seats and they bring us a menu. Guess what? It's vegan! And he and I are decidedly NOT vegans. Furthermore, neither of us understood that vegan doesn't just mean no meat--it means no animal products whatsoever. That means no cheese. No milk. No eggs. No butter.

Needless to say, my friend has never heard the end of this. And never will : )

Ta daaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Thank you. Thank you very much.

halfwaytoheaven

Just went to this Mexican place on Sylvania called La Superior a couple of weeks back. Killer. Oh, and speaking of Mexican, there's a place on Magnolia called La Media Naranja that is beyond delicious. Try the Torta Cubana - you won't regret it.

Magnolia Motor Lounge and M&O Station Grill are both good burger places. I've been meaning to try Chop House, Wes - I've heard mixed things, but I'll be in the area tomorrow night and I may check it out.

If you're jonesing for a chicken fried steak, you could do worse than the Star Cafe. Not sure it qualifies as "little known," though. Actually, the best cfs deal in the area is at the Raven's Grill at the Texas Star golf course in Euless. If you have a Star-Telegram Press Pass, it's like $8 for the biggest, tastiest chicken fried steak you've ever laid your eyes on. Unbelievable.

JugbandFrog

OK, since you brought up the subject of vegan:

Needless to say, my friend has never heard the end of this. And never will : )

Ta daaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Thank you. Thank you very much.
Those Vegans know how to cook though. I dated a chic whose friends whose family were vegans for two generations. We were invited for dinner and I was planning on hitting up a fast food joint afterwards because I knew I would be starved. Well I ate the best Minestrone I had ever had. I ate bowls upon bowls of the stuff. It was so good. These people had been using recipes passed down to them. One of the sad things about not seeing that gal anymore was missing out on the dinner nights. Although it was kinda freaky to see all their armpit and leg hair. I don't think a man ever really gets that out of his mind.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
If you ever get the chance to see the 1988 HBO movie of "Baja Oklahoma" do it. Its one of my favorites - Lesley Ann Warren is Juanita, Peter Coyote as Slick, Swoozie Kurtz, Billy Vera (and the Beaters) Anthony Zerbe, and in one of her first movies, Julia Roberts. She plays Juanita's daughters. There are several TCU references and other Ft. Worth mentions. Dan Jenkins wrote the screenplay, so you know it's good. In one scene William Forsythe is watching a TCU football game in the bar and is yelling at the Frogs on TV - it's a hoot. Even Willie Nelson makes an appearance. As Ole Jeemy Williams says, "817 in your area code, number 1 in your heart."
Happy trails, Massey's.

AEAfrog

Probably doesn't qualify as little known, but Flying Fish is about the only decent non-chain seafood restaurant that I've come across in Fort Worth. Doesn't beat anything from the Texas coast, but it's the closest I've gotten in that part of the state.

researchfrog

Probably doesn't qualify as little known, but Flying Fish is about the only decent non-chain seafood restaurant that I've come across in Fort Worth. Doesn't beat anything from the Texas coast, but it's the closest I've gotten in that part of the state.

Did Zeke's close too?