• The KillerFrogs

POLL: After the loss of Schloss, who's next?

Poll: TCU's Next Baseball Coach

• Kirk Saarloos

Votes: 125 73.1%
  • Bill Mosiello

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Todd Whitting

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Dan Heefner

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • Cliff Godwin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 12 7.0%

• Total voters

flyfishingfrog

The agent statement still makes no sense. There’s no reason TAM couldn’t directly offer JS, which apparently happened, further proving that statement false.

Please tell me why Donati would take JS list and simply say no? Doesn’t make a lot of sense to just say no, without cause.

Maybe he knew JS had one foot out the door regardless if that “list” were completed or not.

Maybe that list wasn’t feasible at the moment as Donati’s superiors are ultimately the ones to put a stamp on them moving forward.

Maybe Donati knew JS was leaving long ago and decided that list would be for the next coach to decide on.

And I said maybe that’s too long for some. Did not say everyone. GP may be perfectly content staying here another 10 years. Who knows. JS obviously was not.

and Maybe he has no idea how to actually keep this stuff from happening since it keeps happening under his watch....or maybe this is exactly what he wanted to happen since he obviously wasn't in discussion before to extend Schloss' contract that ends in two years when almost no coaches make it that close to a contract date without being extended anymore - assuming you want them to stay...

GMFP's contract is up in a few years and he is planning retirement - hoping ADJD has a better plan in place for that given that we have nobody on staff to be the next guy up....

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
and Maybe he has no idea how to actually keep this stuff from happening since it keeps happening under his watch....or maybe this is exactly what he wanted to happen since he obviously wasn't in discussion before to extend Schloss' contract that ends in two years when almost no coaches make it that close to a contract date without being extended anymore - assuming you want them to stay...

GMFP's contract is up in a few years and he is planning retirement - hoping ADJD has a better plan in place for that given that we have nobody on staff to be the next guy up....
Has it occurred to you that perhaps Schloss had no intention of staying? That a "lifetime" contract, or unnamed nebulous "improvements" was nothing more than a bargaining chip for him to use against A&M?

Perhaps Donati isn't the credulous sucker you portray him as. He values truth, and forthrightness. Schloss lied to him, and worse, he lied to his players. Given those last two points, especially the final one, why would you extend Schloss the benefit of any doubt?

Perhaps Schloss said what he said about Aggies so the team could focus on winning! He didn’t want his job to be a distraction. I don’t think him leaving was the reason we lost. I just don’t think we were that good.

Perhaps it was a lie for a good reason? I like Schloss and will miss him. Glad he isn’t going to the Big 12. He was and is a great person and coach.

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

He values truth, and forthrightness.

now that is funny....

they both had a role in it and again, a competent AD would not have gotten to this point again after it just happened 3 years ago.

We have the exact same exposure with Dixon - and it has not changed either since UCLA.

Last edited:

frogteacher70

I suggest Casey Dunn from Samford. He gets great results from unheralded players. He comes from a legendary baseball family and was an All American at Auburn. Casey was a finalist for the Baylor job a few years ago.

tcudoc

Promote the special teams coach.

netty2424

I suppose anythings possible, but I just don't think Donati would be in this position as the AD if he couldn't walk and chew gum as some on here portray him.

From what I hear, JS was gone a long time ago, and there really wasn't anything Donati, V-Bo, or anyone else could say to change that. Timing was just on Aggie's side on this one.

As for GP, he is another example of a long time legacy coach who will do what they want to do regardless of what ADJD says or does. The difference between GP and JS is, JS will put up with the big state u access that the SEC Network and fans demand, GP will not. Which is most likely why he likes his place here. But I am sure he will keep a close eye on how this works out for JS.

flyfishingfrog

I suppose anythings possible, but I just don't think Donati would be in this position as the AD if he couldn't walk and chew gum as some on here portray him.

From what I hear, JS was gone a long time ago, and there really wasn't anything Donati, V-Bo, or anyone else could say to change that. Timing was just on Aggie's side on this one.

As for GP, he is another example of a long time legacy coach who will do what they want to do regardless of what ADJD says or does. The difference between GP and JS is, JS will put up with the big state u access that the SEC Network and fans demand, GP will not. Which is most likely why he likes his place here. But I am sure he will keep a close eye on how this works out for JS.
Gary is retiring in a few years and not going anywhere - Kelsey would kill him at this point.

And Schloss put an offer in on a lake house at Eagle Mountain less than two weeks ago - sounds exactly like a guy that was gone long ago....

If we had done the same "national search" for AD when CDC left - ADJD would not be the one doing a search right now...

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
now that is funny....

they both had a role in it and again, a competent AD would not have gotten to this point again after it just happened 3 years ago.

We have the exact same exposure with Dixon - and it has not changed either since UCLA.
So, you're saying that a "competent" AD would put up with what amounts to a lying weasel?

He should place his trust, and TCU's trust and money and reputation in said lying weasel?

I don't think so. Once someone in that position has lied to you, then the relationship is crippled, or killed. Only a fool would continue to behave as if nothing happened.

OK, here's where things are at from what I've gathered:

- TCU did get the "last meeting" with Schloss, made an offer, we all know how that worked out.

- Delay in announcement had to do with Schloss' A&M contract/terms sheet and requests... BIG salary, BIG asst coach pool, and some finalization of facility plans. A&M is going full Jimbo with its baseball program.

- There is absolute interest in doing a full search within TCU leadership... Why? TCU has known Schloss was "one foot out the door" for a while, and TCU has been making calls of their own to gauge interest with existing, successful head coaches. Based on those calls, TCU would be derelict to NOT interview a few guys. (This is also part of the reason why Schloss leaving was such an open secret... that, plus Schloss has a big mouth)

- Saarloos is on the short list, and probably at the top, but he will have to be patient if he wants the job. No idea how he will feel about that.

- TCU will be making the same pitch it did to Schloss to other potential head coach candidates... Not the same top line salary per-se, but a large asst. coach salary pool and the "rough plans" and leadership commitment re: facilities that was made to Schloss (in so many words). It's not an insignificant commitment and is in alignment with TCU being a top 10-25 type baseball job in the country... Tough to do better than that without state money/endowments and state tuition rates.

- Kendall Rogers has the shortlist as, in order:

Saarloos (the favorite of the players and a few others)
Heefner (the favorite of the admin, donors)
Chris Pollard @ Duke
Link Jarrett @ Notre Dame
Jake Gautreau @ Miss St.
Whitting

There is one more whisper name that is not on this list that I'll keep to myself for now since KR didn't publish it... His team is still in the tournament at a big school, but his position is shakier than it should be given his production level (wins) and there have been whispers he may be thinking of a soft landing elsewhere... If he hadn't made the supers, there were plans to try and push him out of his current job in favor of a big name, like Tadlock or Schloss... Unfortunately for those BMD, he had a great year. I give it a 5% chance it happens, but TCU has at least spoken with his agent and the answer wasn't no. This would clearly be the "splashy" route, which I have reason to believe ADJD often leans towards.

The problem in all this will be timing. TCU can't wait for weeks until a coach gets eliminated in the tournament, then watch Saarloos leave, and then not get one of their top targets whom they waited for. Yesterday, today, and Thursday are HUGE days... If they can't get "handshakes" in place, I expect Saarloos will be engaged with more seriously and the deal will be done by the weekend. Both sides know what they want, if both want it to happen the deal will come together fast.

flyfishingfrog

So, you're saying that a "competent" AD would put up with what amounts to a lying weasel?

He should place his trust, and TCU's trust and money and reputation in said lying weasel?

I don't think so. Once someone in that position has lied to you, then the relationship is crippled, or killed. Only a fool would continue to behave as if nothing happened.
a competent AD would have locked him into a contract when we let him come back from Miss St so that today never happened - or not let him come back then because he is a lying wessel to begin with.

ADJD didn't talk Schloss out of going to Miss St - Miss St pulled the offer.

Instead we let him come back from lying to us then - because we had to no other plan in place - and then spent no effort since then ensuring it didn't happen again.

Either we wanted him to stay and should have wrapped him up - or we didn't want him here because as you say "he lied" and then he should not have been here for the last 3 years.

ADJD has zero ability to stop this from happening and it is just a matter of time before Dixon does the same thing to us - meanwhile that program is failing to achieve results also.

Moose Stuff

OK, here's where things are at from what I've gathered:

- TCU did get the "last meeting" with Schloss, made an offer, we all know how that worked out.

- Delay in announcement had to do with Schloss' A&M contract/terms sheet and requests... BIG salary, BIG asst coach pool, and some finalization of facility plans. A&M is going full Jimbo with its baseball program.

- There is absolute interest in doing a full search within TCU leadership... Why? TCU has known Schloss was "one foot out the door" for a while, and TCU has been making calls of their own to gauge interest with existing, successful head coaches. Based on those calls, TCU would be derelict to NOT interview a few guys. (This is also part of the reason why Schloss leaving was such an open secret... that, plus Schloss has a big mouth)

- Saarloos is on the short list, and probably at the top, but he will have to be patient if he wants the job. No idea how he will feel about that.

- TCU will be making the same pitch it did to Schloss to other potential head coach candidates... Not the same top line salary per-se, but a large asst. coach salary pool and the "rough plans" and leadership commitment re: facilities that was made to Schloss (in so many words). It's not an insignificant commitment and is in alignment with TCU being a top 10-25 type baseball job in the country... Tough to do better than that without state money/endowments and state tuition rates.

- Kendall Rogers has the shortlist as, in order:

Saarloos (the favorite of the players and a few others)
Heefner (the favorite of the admin, donors)
Chris Pollard @ Duke
Link Jarrett @ Notre Dame
Jake Gautreau @ Miss St.
Whitting

There is one more whisper name that is not on this list that I'll keep to myself for now since KR didn't publish it... His team is still in the tournament at a big school, but his position is shakier than it should be given his production level (wins) and there have been whispers he may be thinking of a soft landing elsewhere... If he hadn't made the supers, there were plans to try and push him out of his current job in favor of a big name, like Tadlock or Schloss... Unfortunately for those BMD, he had a great year. I give it a 5% chance it happens, but TCU has at least spoken with his agent and the answer wasn't no. This would clearly be the "splashy" route, which I have reason to believe ADJD often leans towards.

The problem in all this will be timing. TCU can't wait for weeks until a coach gets eliminated in the tournament, then watch Saarloos leave, and then not get one of their top targets whom they waited for. Yesterday, today, and Thursday are HUGE days... If they can't get "handshakes" in place, I expect Saarloos will be engaged with more seriously and the deal will be done by the weekend. Both sides know what they want, if both want it to happen the deal will come together fast.

So O’Connor at UVA.

Latest posts