• The KillerFrogs

POLL: After the loss of Schloss, who's next?

Poll: TCU's Next Baseball Coach

• Kirk Saarloos

Votes: 125 73.1%
  • Bill Mosiello

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Todd Whitting

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Dan Heefner

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • Cliff Godwin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 12 7.0%

• Total voters

Moose Stuff

a competent AD would have locked him into a contract when we let him come back from Miss St that today never happened - or not let him come back then because he is a lying wessel to begin with.

ADJD didn't talk Schloss out of going to Miss St - Miss St pulled the offer.

Instead we let him come back from lying to us then - because we had to no other plan in place - and then spent no effort since then ensuring it didn't happen again.

Either we wanted him to stay and should have wrapped him up - or we didn't want him here because as you say "he lied" and then he should not have been here for the last 3 years.

ADJD has zero ability to stop this from happening and it is just a matter of time before Dixon does the same thing to us - meanwhile that program is failing to achieve results also.

I hope Dixon leaves ASAP. Wouldn’t bother me one bit.

flyfishingfrog

I hope Dixon leaves ASAP. Wouldn’t bother me one bit.
then why is he still here?

I guess we are not a destination and not even a stepping stone - but actually a way station for coaches as they get us to pay them big money and wait for the next opportunity....

That seems like the worst of all worlds - pay big money to be left at the alter....

PO Frog

OK, here's where things are at from what I've gathered:

- TCU did get the "last meeting" with Schloss, made an offer, we all know how that worked out.

- Delay in announcement had to do with Schloss' A&M contract/terms sheet and requests... BIG salary, BIG asst coach pool, and some finalization of facility plans. A&M is going full Jimbo with its baseball program.

- There is absolute interest in doing a full search within TCU leadership... Why? TCU has known Schloss was "one foot out the door" for a while, and TCU has been making calls of their own to gauge interest with existing, successful head coaches. Based on those calls, TCU would be derelict to NOT interview a few guys. (This is also part of the reason why Schloss leaving was such an open secret... that, plus Schloss has a big mouth)

- Saarloos is on the short list, and probably at the top, but he will have to be patient if he wants the job. No idea how he will feel about that.

- TCU will be making the same pitch it did to Schloss to other potential head coach candidates... Not the same top line salary per-se, but a large asst. coach salary pool and the "rough plans" and leadership commitment re: facilities that was made to Schloss (in so many words). It's not an insignificant commitment and is in alignment with TCU being a top 10-25 type baseball job in the country... Tough to do better than that without state money/endowments and state tuition rates.

- Kendall Rogers has the shortlist as, in order:

Saarloos (the favorite of the players and a few others)
Heefner (the favorite of the admin, donors)
Chris Pollard @ Duke
Link Jarrett @ Notre Dame
Jake Gautreau @ Miss St.
Whitting

There is one more whisper name that is not on this list that I'll keep to myself for now since KR didn't publish it... His team is still in the tournament at a big school, but his position is shakier than it should be given his production level (wins) and there have been whispers he may be thinking of a soft landing elsewhere... If he hadn't made the supers, there were plans to try and push him out of his current job in favor of a big name, like Tadlock or Schloss... Unfortunately for those BMD, he had a great year. I give it a 5% chance it happens, but TCU has at least spoken with his agent and the answer wasn't no. This would clearly be the "splashy" route, which I have reason to believe ADJD often leans towards.

The problem in all this will be timing. TCU can't wait for weeks until a coach gets eliminated in the tournament, then watch Saarloos leave, and then not get one of their top targets whom they waited for. Yesterday, today, and Thursday are HUGE days... If they can't get "handshakes" in place, I expect Saarloos will be engaged with more seriously and the deal will be done by the weekend. Both sides know what they want, if both want it to happen the deal will come together fast.
Looking at the list of schools in the supers and nobody is jumping out at me. Can you give height and weight and season record? Thanks in advance.

Moose Stuff

then why is he still here?

I guess we are not a destination and not even a stepping stone - but actually a way station for coaches as they get us to pay them big money and wait for the next opportunity....

That seems like the worst of all worlds - pay big money to be left at the alter....

If I was in charge he wouldn’t be.

flyfishingfrog

If I was in charge he wouldn’t be.
I agree - but my point was he is still here and nothing has changed about his employment from when he tried to leave the last time. Just like evidently nothing changed at any point the last 3 years with Schloss, so he basically did the same thing again - but somehow we are all supposed to be shocked.

So the office admin could be our AD because all we seem to do is wait around and then process is termination of employment papers after we get the resignation - at least it will involve a check from the new school for Dixon....

I noticed the other day that Alabama extended Saban until 2028 even though his last contract was still good for 4 more years....

I also notice a bunch of schools letting coaches go so they could get someone they liked better.....

I guess we just like being the booty call until they find something better.

Can't wait to hear about our employment contract with our new baseball coach.

PurpleBlood87

If Heefner is the favorite of the Administration and Donors then reading what people have said about Heefner's charactet and beliefs TCU's woke announcement regarding freshman doesn't bode well for landing Heefner.

flyfishingfrog

If Heefner is the favorite of the Administration and Donors then reading what people have said about Heefner's charactet and beliefs TCU's woke announcement regarding freshman doesn't bode well for landing Heefner.
do you really think that even if true - anyone in our administration has a single inkling of his personal beliefs? I bet they can't even spell his name correctly....

Pharm Frog

So O’Connor at UVA.

Yeah...that didn’t take long to figure out from the context clues provided but can you really say UVA had a “great year”??? I mean you get to eliminate Heefner, Pierce, Tadlock, Maneiri, Van Horn, Lemonis, Jarrett, Mohl, Vitello, Mohl, Corbin, and Godwin before you even have to think.

This leaves Avent (not splashy at all), O’Connor, Johnson, and Bianco. Johnson was expected to get to the SuperRegional and that wouldn’t be splashy anyway.

PurpleBlood87

do you really think that even if true - anyone in our administration has a single inkling of his personal beliefs? I bet they can't even spell his name correctly....

I'm sure someone in the administration knows someone at DBU and along the way they have talked about Heefner and maybe his character or the way he runs the program has come up in conversation.

Diehard

Has it occurred to you that perhaps Schloss had no intention of staying? That a "lifetime" contract, or unnamed nebulous "improvements" was nothing more than a bargaining chip for him to use against A&M?

Perhaps Donati isn't the credulous sucker you portray him as. He values truth, and forthrightness. Schloss lied to him, and worse, he lied to his players. Given those last two points, especially the final one, why would you extend Schloss the benefit of any doubt?