• The KillerFrogs

Pathetic Coaching

netty2424

Remember when Patterson touted that SR did a fantastic job of protecting the ball in spring practice? I wonder if that was synonymous with him being happy before the team lays an egg, and acting mad before the team stomps a mud hole in an apponent. He always seems to say the opposite of reality when it comes to how he views the team's performance in practice
I have a theory on this, assuming what GP said was really true. Thought about this over the last few weeks.

Our defense has played fantastic. Not knocking our defense as the statistics support this, but this defense isn’t very good at takeaways.

Is it possible we just weren’t forcing interceptions, and assuming we weren’t hitting the QB in practice to force fumbles so it seemed as though SR was taking care of the ball when in reality we weren’t taking it away? False sense of security maybe?

FrogLifeYo

[QUOTE="mc1502, post: 2635802, member: 66980] He always seems to say the opposite of reality when it comes to how he views the team's performance in practice

Do we know for sure that we practice?[/QUOTE]

I’m honestly not sure GP pays any attention to what goes on with the offense except when they scrimmage. During those times he’s just watching the defense match up with the offense. Not seeing how they execute. Look around college football and tell me how many head coaches are still calling plays and giving signals. In the Big12 you have GP, Holgy, and Riley...Everyone one of those guys have big time issues on the side of the ball they aren’t calling. It’s because you can’t manage the details necessary by splitting your attention and you end up put your trust completely in an assistant.

robbroyy

Do we know for sure that we practice?

I’m honestly not sure GP pays any attention to what goes on with the offense except when they scrimmage. During those times he’s just watching the defense match up with the offense. Not seeing how they execute. Look around college football and tell me how many head coaches are still calling plays and giving signals. In the Big12 you have GP, Holgy, and Riley...Everyone one of those guys have big time issues on the side of the ball they aren’t calling. It’s because you can’t manage the details necessary by splitting your attention and you end up put your trust completely in an assistant.
Saban calls defense I think.

Herman was calling plays while their OC was sick.

Kliff calls offense and we saw what his defense did this week.

Don’t know about Gundy or Campbell. If they don’t physically call the play they’re at least heavily involved.

You don’t get many CEO head coaches in college. Everyone has an area of expertise.

I believe Saban and GPs approaches are very similar but Saban is more outspoken about offense than GP is in press conferences.

asleep003

Chris Thomsen did a great job with the OL last year and very impressed … but he has his hands full of inexperience there and this is a big part of our demise. The DL has so much more talent, and that's even without Blacklock.

As much as I'm impressed with SR's talent, I'm one of those(without authority) ready to give MC a shot, if SR doesn't protect the ball against OU.

asleep003

Don’t know about Gundy or Campbell. If they don’t physically call the play they’re at least heavily involved.

You don’t get many CEO head coaches in college. Everyone has an area of expertise.

I believe Saban and GPs approaches are very similar but Saban is more outspoken about offense than GP is in press conferences.

Saban's expertise is D, but he doesn't call every single play like GP. but he does get involved often as needed. He is of course totally involved in the D's preperations.

4th. down

Nothing looks worse when it’s not working than watching a slow no-huddle offense try and operate. If you’re not going to run hurry up, there is no reason whatsoever to not huddle and get all your [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] figured out as a group, together. If anything, you won’t be tipping the defense off as to what you’re going to run by showing your formation.

Never understood this approach. I think we would be more synched if we did a circle huddle with the QB on 1 knee and a player coming in from the sideline with the play and sometimes the QB is shotgun and others, under center. Some plays, split backs and other with QB under center.

Where of where is the QB under center with a fake to the RB and then a roll out run or pass - at least you are cutting down on that rush. With Shawn in the shotgun and doing the zone read, it's taking too much time, the defense is already on him.

f_399

If this is how we the fans feel, you wonder what’s going on in that offensive coaches meeting room.

I can just imagine Patterson peeking his head in the door and screaming “get your [ Finebaum ] together, or else...” or I guess that’s what I wish he would do.

FrogLifeYo

Every head coach got their job because they are an accomplished Offense or Defense mind. Your missing my point. It has nothing to do with CEOs. Very few head coaches call plays on game day and of those that do, only a tiny portion call defensive plays. In my opinion it absolutely influences the way you prepare yourself and your team. It has to dominate your time and keep you from being able to be heavily involved in the other aspects of the game. Truthfully It has shown for years..Special teams and Offense has often been a grind for TCU. My point is if game day prep is going to decide your attention you have no choice but to place and high amount of trust in your coordinators and you have less opportunity during the week to really understand and hold them accountable to what they are teaching.

When is the last time we struggled more on def than on offense? Never under GP....Sure we’ve had a game or two here and there but never have ended our season and said..”damn our defense really let out offense down this year”.....

Saban, Dabo, Urban...Go down the list of the most respected head coaches in college football and let me know when you get to a guy who calls plays on game day...GP is about the only elite one..

And your reference to Kliff pretty much proved my point TT has been historically bad on defense under him...Don’t let one game against a horrific offense cloud the conversation

Moose Stuff

Every head coach got their job because they are an accomplished Offense or Defense mind. Your missing my point. It has nothing to do with CEOs. Very few head coaches call plays on game day and of those that do, only a tiny portion call defensive plays. In my opinion it absolutely influences the way you prepare yourself and your team. It has to dominate your time and keep you from being able to be heavily involved in the other aspects of the game. Truthfully It has shown for years..Special teams and Offense has often been a grind for TCU. My point is if game day prep is going to decide your attention you have no choice but to place and high amount of trust in your coordinators and you have less opportunity during the week to really understand and hold them accountable to what they are teaching.

When is the last time we struggled more on def than on offense? Never under GP....Sure we’ve had a game or two here and there but never have ended our season and said..”damn our defense really let out offense down this year”.....

Saban, Dabo, Urban...Go down the list of the most respected head coaches in college football and let me know when you get to a guy who calls plays on game day...GP is about the only elite one..

And your reference to Kliff pretty much proved my point TT has been historically bad on defense under him...Don’t let one game against a horrific offense cloud the conversation

And we still had over 400 yards and probably could have scored 27-30 points if we don’t turn the ball over.

Moose Stuff

True, but I’m almost to the point where yards to me are irrelevant. You know good offense when you see it, and what we threw out there Thursday night was not good. At all.

My point being basically that Kliff’s defense really didn’t do anything special the other day.